Full Version: HTP Welders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
HTP Welders

The prices seem good. HTP for sale

just curious.
redshift
I want to learn to weld.

What is the highest duty one would need for working on a car? I am guessing the really big ones could build a ship.... 3/4"! Jees!

I guess you would need at least the low end 220v model, to cover all bases?

Last time I welded, I was like 9, and it scared the hell out of me.

M
Jeroen
Their MIG160 looks nice (they even have a version of it that works with 110V)
Any prices on these thingies?

cheers,

Jeroen
redshift
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Aug 24 2003, 08:05 PM)
Any prices on these thingies?

cheers,

Jeroen

smile.gif

Yeah... 2nd link from El Seanery

Manufacturer Htp Mfg. Part # 60160

HTP MIG WELDER, 160 AMP, WELDS UP TO 5/16. DOES NOT INCLUDE REGULATOR OR TANK.

Unit Price 1449.00 SALE PRICE 1086.75
Jeroen
Crap! Thanks pretty expensive!
I can get a decent 150 amp welder here for around $600 - $700, including a regulator and a 2.5 gallon gasbottle

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
This is the one that caught my fancy:
------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Htp Mfg. Part # 70100

Invertig 100, Tig Welder, 115v, 16 amp, 1/8 max thickness, duty cycle 60% at 85 amps.

Unit Price 599.00 SALE PRICE 449.25

Quantity
redshift
Sounds like TIG is the way to go, yah.. sounds like experts can do it easy, oh yeah..

confused24.gif

What is more painful? I want the other one.

M
seanery
mig is easier. tig is quiet & clean.
Jeroen
Never tig-welded before
I'd like to try it some time
I heard it's quite a bit harder than mig-welding?

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
Jeroen,

It depends on the material.

I picked up aluminum quickly. Stainless kicked my ass. (Oh wait, was it the other way around blink.gif huh.gif )
URY914
If I had to buy a MIG welder again, I'd go with a Miller or a Lincon. I have a Daytona MIG. Sorta cheap. I'd stick with the name brands. One that I can walk into the local welding supply house and say I'm trying to do this or that and they'll have experence with my machine.

Paul
cha914
If you are going to buy a welder, my Miller...period...maybe a Lincoln (mig only) if you find a good price on em... here is a good site for welding stuff online, they have some of the cheapest prices around:

www.cyberweld.com

As far as MIG and TIG go ... MIG has just a one piece torch, the wire comes out of the middle of the torch, its easy to weld, but harder to see the weld puddle and harder to be real accurate and clean with. That said, a little 110 amp Miller or Lincoln MIG will do about anything you will need to do on a car. But I do recommend getting one that you can hook up a gas line to cause it welds TONS better with Gas than with flux wire=very messy.

TIG is basically the same as Oxy fuel welding, except alot cleaner and alot more controlable ... with TIG you have a torch that supplies the heat, then you hold the filler rod in you other hand and feed it in as needed, and the best part is you have amperage control either with a foot pedal or a knob on the torch that allows you to weld hotter or colder as you go, so you can control the weld puddle and set your pace better.

Anyway, I just got a Miller 250 Tigrunner ... it kicks ass!!! But probably a litte more than most want to spend on a welder. 914 rust...here I come tongue.gif

Tony
JWest
My dad has an HTP - 160 I think. VERY nice machine.

With the power all the way down and inverted I could tack two razor blades together (a little trick on the video that comes with it) and I have welded up to 5/16 wall tubing with it when I built a frame jig.
mr914
I personally would opt to buy a used Millermatic 150.

I've seen them go at auctions for less than $200 with the gas bottle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.