Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
elocke
I've noticed little tits that grow/bubble out of the weld at times, but I knew the surfaces weren't perfectly clean. Even after you prep the surfaces by sanding or grinding, be sure to wipe with a good cleaner/de-greaser. I even do it after sandblasting.
Ed

PS I always use 20 psi standard MIG mix and have an auto-darkening helmet.
dkos
QUOTE (TimT @ Dec 30 2005, 10:05 PM)
I dont know why you think reducing gas flow will help your welds, that is actually counter intuative, the gas creates the welding environment.. set the gauge at about 18-20 psi, if you have drafts, set it a bit higher.

Reducing my gas pressure was recommended earlier in this tread
dkos
QUOTE (messix @ Dec 25 2005, 01:57 AM)
your gas pressure shouldn't be more than 10 to 15 lbs. as said earlier to high of pressure will cool or even snuff the weld.

here it is...I've been using 15 psi since reading this...
seanery
QUOTE (dkos @ Dec 31 2005, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (TimT @ Dec 30 2005, 10:05 PM)
I dont know why you think reducing gas flow will help your welds, that is actually counter intuative, the gas creates  the welding environment..  set the gauge at about 18-20 psi,  if you have drafts, set it a bit higher.

Reducing my gas pressure was recommended earlier in this tread

I think Tim does this for a livin' so I'd take his word as very good.
dkos
QUOTE (elocke @ Dec 31 2005, 12:08 PM)
I've noticed little tits that grow/bubble out of the weld at times, but I knew the surfaces weren't perfectly clean. Even after you prep the surfaces by sanding or grinding, be sure to wipe with a good cleaner/de-greaser. I even do it after sandblasting.

would Por 15's Marine Clean do the trick?
andys
While taking welding, I want to ask a question and hopefully not hijack the thread........Can you TIG weld through "weldable primer?" Since TIG is a lot more sensitive to foreign materials/contaminants, how much trouble can I expect to have?

Andys
lincoln
that i cant tell you- honestly ive never worked with any weldable primers at all
J P Stein
QUOTE (dkos @ Dec 30 2005, 02:19 PM)
OK...I'll try to clean better and no more Bloxide. I didn't have it on my practice piece and that looked pretty good. I never was really sold on the weldable primer anyway..seems to me that it just burns off when you weld anyway.

agree.gif

Back when I cared about this stuff....employment..weldable primer was an iffy thing. The milage requirement was .75 to 1 mil. that would keep the plate from rusting for 2-3 weeks.
More mils would get ya porosity in the sub arc we were using.
dkos
Thanks for all the good advice.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
elocke
Here's a shot of the marine clean label. Seems like it would work but I haven't used it and I'm far from an expert.
dkos
Anyone have a set of these they want to sell? I'd order these tomorrow, from RD, but I've read (in this forum) that they are less than responsive. I want to get a set of these, but I don't want to have to wait for ever. Any thoughts?
Bartlett 914
I just bought a rear floor pan from them. They were very fast. Bill is a nice guy. Give him a call.
dkos
OK...I called...got a machine...left a message. Would I be better off ordering on-line?
hotdgr
Iordered a bunch of stuff from them a few days ago - online. Less than 10 minutes later, Bill called me to say one of the parts (rear lower firewall - engine side) was on backorder but everything else was in stock and would be going out the day. Thats pretty good and responsive service in my book. BTW, Bill sounds like a really good guy.
dkos
called and left a message and ordered it on their website...still no response??? sad.gif
tdgray
Bill is a great guy but he is basically a one man operation.

Keep calling and bugging him eventually you'll get through.

First time I ordered from him I got my parts in a couple of days.

Second time...couple of months.

Keep trying. biggrin.gif
dkos
QUOTE (tdgray @ Jan 3 2006, 05:42 PM)
Bill is a great guy but he is basically a one man operation.

Keep calling and bugging him eventually you'll get through.

First time I ordered from him I got my parts in a couple of days.

Second time...couple of months.

Keep trying. biggrin.gif

it took a couple of months for him to get back to you? I've left him 3 messages today...still no response. Does anyone know if they are on vacation this week?

Are there any other options for getting inner rockers?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.