Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ra-Ra-Ra Put-Put-Put
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adammtb
So we just installed our rebuilt engine and after sorting out a leaky carb, and a timing issue there are finally some signs of life. Although not too many signs because it won't start. The noise it makes is a ra-ra-ra-put-put-put where the ra's are the starter and the put's are combustion. It's like the engine catches but then dies after a few cylinders fire. We're running 34 ICTs on a 1.8 (formally a 1.7) with a Facet fuel pump running 4-7psi.

My initial reaction (after double checking the timing) would be to open the idle screws to allow more fuel. But it seems like if that works, then pushing the pedal down some during start up would work but it doesn't.

Any ideas? Thanks
michelko
Try spraying some fuel direct in the carbs and see if it fires.
Check timing.

no more ideas from me.

smilie_flagge6.gif
DEC
Do check the inlet/outlet timing?

dead horse.gif
Joe Ricard
I went cross eyed looking at the picture but I think you plug wires are in the wrong order.
adammtb
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Dec 26 2005, 05:05 AM)
I went cross eyed looking at the picture but I think you plug wires are in the wrong order.

Yeah, they were in that picture. It has since been fixed.
Racing914six
Double check the valve timing
Bleyseng
Now that you have the plug wires in the right order, check to make sure (take off the cap) and see if its timed right. Should be firing at about 0- TDC when after #1 intake valve has closed. If not, you have screwed up the installing the dizzy drive (common mistake).

popcorn[1].gif
JoeSharp
agree.gif
goberserk
Yeah...we got it running...turns out that the timing was too advanced so after a bit of retard it fired right up.....guh, guh, guh, guh, guh, guh, guh, guh.
SLITS
I see you made it back from the "Exile Board" (pelicanparts).

Way to go smilie_pokal.gif (with getting it running). Small turns of the dizzy can do wonders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.