Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pops out of 1st and 3rd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
goberserk
My tailshifter is popping our of 1st and 3rd. I can select them, but when I go to take the clutch out it grinds a little and pops into neutral. I just replaced all of the shifter bushings. It was doing it a bit last night, so I shortened the shifter bar via the linkage right in front of the firewall, down the access cover in the tunnel. That seemed to make it worse. I was able to get all the gears before I took it apart, it was vague, but it worked. I'm gonna go try making it longer (although I don't expect that to work) headbang.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Before you waste your time, check the plastic ball cup at the base of the shifter. The Cap'n
goberserk
We fixed it. First we disconnected the rear sifter bar and put the trans in 1st to make sure the trans was ok; it was. Then we hooked up the rear bar only to make sure that wasn't impeding the shifter movement, it wasn't. So then we left the trans in first and put the shifter to the left and halfway into first. Then we tightened the jam nut and it seems to work. We can get all the gears no problem.
lapuwali
You'll still find that checking and probably replacing the plastic cup bushing under the shifter will be worthwhile. Once you do that, the best way to adjust the shift linkage is to put the shifter in third, then loosen the adjuster pinchbolt. Rotate the shift lever so it's just lightly resting against the spring plate that normally keeps it out of the R/1 gate. You can adjust the fore/aft throw for comfort and you obviously need to make sure you have enough travel so it can move the gear lever completely into the 1/3/5 and the R/2/4 gates.

Adjusting it this way will make it a lot less likely you'll nick reverse as you shift from 1st to 2nd, or (more importantly) while downshifting into 2nd.

While you have the shifter off to replace the bushing, check the spring plate against a photo of a new plate (you can find a photo here, or on the Pelican site). Grease everything up nicely, too.

Brad Roberts
We can get all the gears no problem.

Drive it and tell us what happens.

If this was an issue with adjustment, you probably wouldnt have been able to get 5th.

1-3-5 all take the same amount of throw.

I hope for your sake it was adjustment, otherwise you are in the tranny.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.