Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ? dealer rustproofing or factory
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rudedude
I have an original 914/6 that is undercoated with some type of asphalt based product over the factory painted undercoat.
Does any one have a good idea for removing this asphalt product? I am scraping it off with difficulty as the original paint also gets
damaged. I have also tried brake clean and wd40 but they also damage the paint as it doesn't seem like there is much thickness
to the paint. I would like to keep the factory paint intact if I can.
Any ideas?
Thanks
d914
die grinder with a wire cup on it. seems to take away the undercoating with minumal damage to the paint. Been stripping undercoating myself. I'm not trying to save the paint but I'm also not taking alot off unless I realy try..
brant
whew....
I did that once.
what a lot of work!

I think I have around 60 hours total of hand scrapping with a putty knife.
I tried all the solvents without any sucess.
finally just tried about 4 putty knifes until I found one that was the right combo of flexible yet sturdy.

turns out that a stainless steel putty knife from home depot was the best in my opinion. About half way through I dulled or wore out the putty knife. Had to buy a 2nd one.....

I did it one day at a time over about 5 weekends.
Lots of blisters to prove my diligence.
some damage to the paint too.

this picture is not the best... but I didn't take good pictures of the underside of the floor pan where it showed the best. I ended up repainting the wheel wells:
brant
I just realized that this picture was taken at the end of the season with LOTS more rock chips and wear than it had right after I completed the scrapping.

look at the aluminum pan in that picture. Its all beat up with dings. was shinny when first installed.

point is that the paint looked pretty good right after I finished.
probably will take a lot more wear without the undercoater on it.
of course I did it for weight and not appearance. (25-30lbs... we swept the floor each day and accumulated all of the droppings into a bucket that we weighed when finished.)

brant
brant
other picture not as close up:
SirAndy
QUOTE (rudedude @ Dec 29 2005, 06:01 PM)
I have an original 914/6 that is undercoated with some type of asphalt based product over the factory painted undercoat.

no factory undercoat. it was a dealer option.

no easy way to get rid of it and save the paint under it either. you might want to talk to someone who puts undercoating on cars for a living. they might know how to get rid of it best.

cool_shades.gif Andy
bjorn jacobson
I have had pretty good luck using a heat lamp with a 200w bulb. Depending on how long you heat the area will determin how soft the undercaot will get. Some times it just takes a souple of seconds and you can follow the light with a paint scraper and it just comes right off. This method helps, however it is a pain in the butt none the less. Just takes time and patience.

Good luck,

BJ

P.S. The heat lamp will not radiate enough heat to warp body pannels unless you leave it in one spot for a long time, over ten minutes, which is way more time than you will need to soften the material.
Doug Leggins
I had great success using laquer thinner to remove Ziebart undercoating from parts.
campbellcj
I hate that nasty stuff! I too found that a scraper and elbow grease is about the only way to get it off. (I haven't nearly finished yet). However I also discovered that once you have chipped away at it and/or it's started peeling loose on its own, a pressure washer can also help blast away the 'easy' pieces.
brant
Also....

I found that after chipping away at most of it..
the tiny residue left over will then melt away with brake cleaner and a rag.

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.