Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: inner fender well clearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
How much fender clearance is a safe distance for the inner fender wells and the tire.

Right now I'm measuring about 1" between tire and fender well on 25" tires. I'll have pics of it tomorrow.

I'm talking about the rear.
McMark
fender well on 25" tires.

That's some monster rubber! I can't wait to see pictures. lol2.gif

Clearance depends on your camber.
sj914
well... their 295/30/18 wink.gif
airsix
Put the car on jack stands, unbolt the lower shock mount, and then push the wheel/tire up (with a floor jack) and see how much clearance you have when the suspension is under compression. The inner fenderwell clearance will reduce as the compression increases.

-Ben M.
neo914-6
Remil,

We can meet at TC Design in Milpitas and you can check out the clearance (or lack of) on neo914-6. My rears are very close to the inner fender and flare. I will worry when I get "street" springs on it...
sj914
Felix,
When are you goin to TC Design next?

I unscrewed the thread collar(sp) off the threaded body and slowly let it down till the shock bout bottomed out. It looks like I've got enough spacing.

Andyrew
I'd say 1inch is enough. I have 1/2 and it works ok.
sj914
Alright it's tomorrow already.

here's what it looks like at the ride height that I plan on using.
sj914
Here it is with the suspension bottomed out (well the shocks anyway).
sj914
Here's a shot from behind. Still seeing some light.
airsix
That looks okay to me. What is that, about 3/4" gap (in the shock bottomed possition)? Nice wheel/tire combo. drooley.gif
-Ben M.
bondo
Won't you hit the control arm before the inner fender?
sj914
3/4" is what was left.
sj914
QUOTE (bondo @ Dec 30 2005, 10:19 AM)
Won't you hit the control arm before the inner fender?

What do you mean? unsure.gif
neo914-6
probably meant the "trailing" arm...

In Andrew's words "it'll fit?" laugh.gif

I will stop by TC today to drop off some bolts, give me a call...
sj914
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 30 2005, 10:47 AM)

In Andrew's words "it'll fit?" laugh.gif

Felix I'll see if I can make. What do you plan on getting there?

Is that pic of your car?
That looks alot less clearance than mine.
J P Stein
To check full suspension travel in the rear, ya gotta take the spring out of the equation so's you can bottom the shock....a PITA. You gain negative camber as the suspension compresses. You need more room than is obivious for side wall flex.

Having said that, 1 inch clearance at static ride height should be plenty. When you get down below 1/2 in, it gets iffy. I've got big crecent shaped marks on my inner fenderwalls to prove this biggrin.gif

I do this routine on the front also. Full compression, lock to lock
on the steering.

sj914
I haven't even got to checking the fronts yet for clearance.
neo914-6
QUOTE (sj914 @ Dec 30 2005, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 30 2005, 10:47 AM)

In Andrew's words "it'll fit?"  :lol:

Felix I'll see if I can make. What do you plan on getting there?

Is that pic of your car?
That looks alot less clearance than mine.

It's my car.

Tony will fab an engine and transaxle mount, maybe other things...

My springs are easy to replace since they are short and on threaded collars.

Andyrew
I had an 1/8th of an inch of clearance and it rubbed.. It rubbed on the fender wells on the inside. So I do not believe it will hit the trailing arm first.
bondo
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Dec 30 2005, 11:47 AM)

Indeed I did.. oops. biggrin.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Dec 30 2005, 01:30 PM)
I had an 1/8th of an inch of clearance and it rubbed.. It rubbed on the fender wells on the inside. So I do not believe it will hit the trailing arm first.

Interesting.. with the tires/wheels/spacers I entend to use on the blue flared car I have about 1/8" of trailing arm clearance, and about 1" of inner fender clearance.. but perhaps an alignment would reduce the inner fender clearance. It also has no engine or trans, so it'd also get reduced when the ride height is normal.
sj914
The part I was worried about most was the section of the fender well near the trailing arm mount. The long seems to flare out in that section making the fender well smaller in that section. Right now the suspension is setup with a noticable amount of toe-in. I never really thought much of it, because my last car had the same noticeble toe-in. From what I can measure at that section I've got at least 3/4" of clearance.

JP,
You need more room than is obivious for side wall flex

That was actually my intention for this post, to see what you guys or gals are running with respect to fender well clearance.

I just wanted to make sure before I start on the Flares that I have enough clearnace in there, adding more wheel spacing is alot easier than having to repound flares to fit a wider wheel stance.

smooth_eddy
I can barely slip my index finger b/t the tire and inner fender. It has never rubbed against the fender. Eddy
J P Stein
The worst point of contact is the lower RH coner of the pic...out of the frame cause I blew it.
This is with a tight (3/8 in) finger of clearance at static height.
Camber change, side wall flex....whatever, uses up space pretty qiuck..... there it is at the top of the tiar also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.