Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: REAR TRUNK STRUT CONVERSION
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
Ok I looked on CAMP914 web page and e-mailed for help, I even did a search, but no luck finding install instructions. I'm sure boxstr has not had a chance to look at my e-mail, only sent it a few minustes ago, but I don't want to stand around. I only have a few hours, so I need to get started. Anyone know if there is a classic thread or does anyone have experience in installling them? Pictures help.... Thanks
Lou W
Do you have a fax number? I'll fax you a copy of mine.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 30 2005, 10:40 AM)
Do you have a fax number? I'll fax you a copy of mine.

Lou,

I don't.. I have the directions, but would like a little clearer pics.. I actually think I have it figured out. I'm not sure on the exact placement of the shox, in relation to mouting the bracket on the gasket tab. I have to cut the flash to mount the tab. I removed the factory torsion bars, so I have my trunk lid fully extended and held up by a tie down. How high should the trunk lid be?
It appears that the shox are fully extended when I pulled them out of the shipping tube. So if I simply mount the shox to the trunk hinge, then that sould give me the location of the other mounting points. unsure.gif Correct?
Lou W
Yes, that is how I did mine, I located the 90 degree Mounting Brackets with the hinges just short of the fully extended location, I did my installation with the deck lid off, then I reinstalled my decklid.
Lou W
I have to cut the flash to mount the tab.
Are you talking about the firewall that needs to be notched for the shox to extend through?
Lou W
like this;
Lou W
hjhk
Howard
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 30 2005, 11:00 AM)
like this;

Lou, that's the way I did mine, but only made the vertical cuts and bent the tab out of the way. Just in case 20 years from now some CW buys the car and wants to go original.
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 30 2005, 10:59 AM)
I have to cut the flash to mount the tab.
Are you talking about the firewall that needs to be notched for the shox to extend through?

EXACTAMUNDO!!
That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure before I started driilling and cutting.
Thanks Lou..
Lou W
klkl
Lou W
ll;
Lou W
kjh
Lou W
Howard Posted on Dec 30 2005, 12:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (Lou W @ Dec 30 2005, 11:00 AM)
like this;  

Lou, that's the way I did mine, but only made the vertical cuts and bent the tab out of the way. Just in case 20 years from now some CW buys the car and wants to go original.  

Yeah, I see what you're saying, that's think ahead. smile.gif I did mine with a round shaped notch so that I can put some kind of rubber groment cut in half to seal the compartment.
Eddie Williams
I must have used a different kit, but I could have sworn I used the CAMP kit. I didn't have to notch anything.
Carlitos Way
QUOTE (Eddie Williams @ Dec 30 2005, 02:24 PM)
I must have used a different kit, but I could have sworn I used the CAMP kit. I didn't have to notch anything.

From looking at your picture... your mounting bracket is to the rear of the hinge. Most of us with Craig's kit installed the bracket on the actual hinge itself. Couldn't say if it's Craig's kit or not, but if it works, use it!
Eddie Williams
Must be a different kit, here's my bracket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.