Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine out today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjkavanagh
Finally got to drop the 2.0 out of my '75' today. Followed Mark D's instructions in the tech article and was able to remove it by myself. Great instructions, thanks Mark. Had to drop it because 2 of the bolts in the fan had worked their wat out and the 3rd sheared off. I don't know how I got so lucky but, the fan came through undamaged. The only issue is that there is about a 1/4" of the 3rd stud broken off in the gland on the front of the crank. I tried pulling that gland but it's really on there so, I thought I'd ask for advice from the group. Here's a couple of pictures.

Pic 1

rjkavanagh
Pic 2
rjkavanagh
Pic 3
rjkavanagh
Thanks for your help in advance.

- Rob
TravisNeff
Got a dremel? grind a slot in the bolt for a flathead screwdriver and pull it out???
r_towle
I would remove the bolt, remove the flange....

Bring it over to the vise, and drill out the bolt, then clean the threads with a tap....

Take a few bolts out...get all the normally used taps...
The taps for the engine tin
for the head studs (exhaust studs)

You will eventually need them all.
Use heat...then drill...you may get it to loosen up with heat and the drill to a point that it twists out.

Good luck.
Rich
Aaron Cox
drill a pilot hole...
drill a larger hole.

EZ out it....
r_towle
I have broken every easy out I have ever tried...

Then it is really hard to drill out.

now I just drill it to the threads and re-tap it...its easier and less time consuming...

If you get an easy out tip stuck in there...you need a really good bit to drill that out...not the normal hardware store bit...

Rich
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 31 2005, 09:52 PM)

now I just drill it to the threads and re-tap it...its easier and less time consuming...

If you get an easy out tip stuck in there...you need a really good bit to drill that out...not the normal hardware store bit...

Rich

wierd...never had a failure....

just went nice and slow.....

i like the dremel idea...also
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (rjkavanagh @ Dec 31 2005, 06:45 PM)
Pic 2

That piece is not in there very tight, you could take a small chisel and tap it loose, you'd be surprised. You will probally have to replace the hub, it looks like it ripped out the alignment pin, and check the small hole in the fan, it might of messed up wen the bolt snaped.
scruz914
The hub might be really stuck to the crank. You can use an inexpensive harmonic balancer puller from your FLAPS to pop it off.
Mikey914
Try a counter clockwise (left) drill bit @ 1/8" , by the time your almost through the bolt usually come out on the bit.
LowGT
QUOTE (r_towle @ Dec 31 2005, 08:52 PM)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences that.

Tried them twice, broke them twice. In fact the second one is still in the broken bolt for the oil pan of my previous car. mueba.gif
Bleyseng
use a boron bit to drill a easyout with. super hard bits
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (Mikey914 @ Jan 1 2006, 11:16 PM)
Try a counter clockwise (left) drill bit @ 1/8" , by the time your almost through the bolt usually come out on the bit.

agree.gif

LH bits are the way to go for drilling broken bolts. Half the time the bolt will back out before you drill all the way through.

Whenever possible you should use a smoke wrench and warm up things first. DO NOT USE A TORCH ANYWHERE NEAR THE HUB WHEN IT'S STILL ON THE CRANKSHAFT!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.