Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 e-brake for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
The one thing that kept me from going to big brakes on the rear of the 914 was the e-brake. I was looking around and found this set up. It looks like it works good. Is this some one from here? Check out the link.

http://phoenixhobbies.com/html/911_e-brakes.html
Eric_Shea
dead horse.gif

Here's another...

biggrin.gif
Eddie Williams
That 911 dash is killer.
Luke M
Eric,
Yes, I did see your e-brake setup awhile ago. Did you give up on this?
Or are you selling this setup?
Eric_Shea
They're on the car.

That was my first set (practice on yourself). I've done about 1/2 dozen for customers now. Just finishing up Greg D's right now. Handbrake assembly being plasted and plated etc.

alpha434
I want line locks...
alpha434
bump....

How about e-brakes on the front?
TravisNeff
line locks may do their purpose in a drag race situation, but I wouldn't trust it to leave my car parked on a hill for a couple days while I head out of town. huh.gif
alpha434
you would leave town without your porsche?!?
ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Just parking brake mounted on the front. That would keep me very happy. Watch me U-turn now!!!!
alpha434
bump.....

someones done it. And that someone SHOULD SPEAK.
Hehe.

ph34r.gif

Is this a terrorist or a ninja?
Phoenix-MN
Luke,

" The one thing that kept me from going to big brakes on the rear of the 914 was the e-brake. I was looking around and found this set up. It looks like it works good. Is this some one from here? Check out the link."

That is my project, it's been in the making for many - many years wink.gif Hopefully it will move on it's own sometime next summer.

Paul
davep
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Jan 2 2006, 09:47 PM)

Extremely dangerous. The front brakes do most of the work, but the rears are needed for control. Without rear brakes you have nearly no control of the direction the car is headed.
914Timo
Thats not my setup, but I have working 911 e-brakes in my 914. I have send some pics here somewhere.

The link and the pages are interesting. Very good pics. Most interesting part is in the middle of the page. I suppose he is American, but there is that you have to fabricate 40mm wide spacer between brake shoes. Why this is in millimeters.... Have he seen Eric´s thread and my picture there cool.gif

The idea of using original 914 cables, the bellcranks and short custom cables is good, but the brake shoe mechanism there is not working like it is planned. It may work, but not like in 911s. The cable cover in 911s pull the mechanism.
914Timo

Old Saabs have them. You can´t do normal e-brake turn with them. You have to reverse and do it in that way wacko.gif
Luke M
Paul,
Nice car. I have your site saved on my favorites and will be checking it out for updates. The small (mod cable) is that a 911 part that was mod?
Looks good.
Luke
andys
QUOTE (914Timo @ Jan 3 2006, 06:53 AM)

The idea of using original 914 cables, the bellcranks and short custom cables is good, but the brake shoe mechanism there is not working like it is planned. It may work, but not like in 911s. The cable cover in 911s pull the mechanism.

LukeM,

I have to agree with 914Timo. The way you have configured the bellcrank assembly will not actuate the shoe spreader as intended. Though your approach is clever, it only actuates one of the two speaders. Perhaps it may work; let us know please.

Andys
Phoenix-MN
"I have to agree with 914Timo. The way you have configured the bellcrank assembly will not actuate the shoe spreader as intended. Though your approach is clever, it only actuates one of the two speaders. Perhaps it may work; let us know please. "

I'm using a single spreader on the outboard side of the brake shoes. The outer cable sheath is fixed and all the pulling is done by the inner cable only. This seems to work well and provides more than enough force to expand the shoes and lock up the brakes.

I can't confirm this but I think different years of 911's used either one or two spreaders. I have a set of banana's from a '78 sc that only have the spreaders on the outboard side and the end of the cable sheath fits into a resess on the triling arm.

Hope that helps,
Paul
alpha434
QUOTE (914Timo @ Jan 3 2006, 06:57 AM)

Old Saabs have them. You can´t do normal e-brake turn with them. You have to reverse and do it in that way wacko.gif

E-brake turns are different for these cars. I had front e-brakes on a mazda once....

Slow down.
Start turn.
Engage E-brake.
GUN IT!!!
release E-brake.
Try to keep the car under control while your rear end fish tails
thesey914
QUOTE (914Timo @ Jan 3 2006, 03:57 PM)

Old Saabs have them.

...and old citroens
Eric_Shea
The way you have configured the bellcrank assembly will not actuate the shoe spreader as intended.

I think his 'additional small plate' helps resolve this.

All 911's had dual spreaders AFAIK. They fall off easily so... that may be what you saw (or didn't see). Also, 74 and later 911 control arms have that recess for the cable. They're cast aluminum so they simply molded it into the design. Older 911's have a tab (that's why I reposition the cable mount on mine, others say it's not needed). This tab/recess is used with nuts on the cable to adjust the brake, as mentioned the cable sheath is an intricate part on a 911 cable.

Nice install Paul.

Alph... hydraulics tend to let go. They are set on hot brakes and when the system cools it can let go. I went down the same path but heard too many 'actual' stories to continue.
andys
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 3 2006, 03:29 PM)

I think his 'additional small plate' helps resolve this.

All 911's had dual spreaders AFAIK. They fall off easily so... that may be what you saw (or didn't see). Also, 74 and later 911 control arms have that recess for the cable. They're cast aluminum so they simply molded it into the design. Older 911's have a tab (that's why I reposition the cable mount on mine, others say it's not needed). This tab/recess is used with nuts on the cable to adjust the brake, as mentioned the cable sheath is an intricate part on a 911 cable.

Eric,

Since I'm having real trouble visualizing this, I'll have to look again at my '89 Carrera parking brakes/cables and trailing arms. I went with the Wilwood spot caliper for a parking brake because I thought it too difficult to make a clean adaption.......Hope I didn't miss the obvious, and put more work into something I didn't need. wacko.gif

BTW, I'd be a little nervous about using the thin formed sheet metal backing plate to mount the anti-rotation tab to. Looks a bit flimsey to me.

Cheers,

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.