Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 200 mph 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
MattR
my speedo says 120 mph. thats as fast as i can go biggrin.gif

user posted image
airsix
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 4 2006, 09:54 PM)
so i google turbbo 914...

and get this monstrosity!

Now all my "wasn't clean enough" feelings about my own turbo install have just melted away. laugh.gif
-Ben M.
YksKrad
Sorry I was reading and decided to toss in my $0.02, which prolely should mostly be ignored since I know jack about going fast.

Drag sounds like it'll be an issue. I remember hearing that the saleen s7 achievieves a lower drag coeffiecient by ducting air flow thru the car. Maybe this could be done with a 914. Lets face it, the front end on a 914 is relatively flat... Maybe cutting holes in the front end and ducting airflow out the sides and rear would be a good option.

These air channels could also be used to cool the engine...

And maybe one large radiator is not the way to go, but maybe split the cooling system with dual radiators... similar to the ones www.naerc.com offers for their diablo replicas.
dwillouby
I might try some mods with my street 914 V8. Before I build another. Its got about 370 hp. It will run up to 150 with more possible. But it gets very light feeling. I know I need more down force. Any reccomendations on what seems to work for a driver not a race car?
Thanks
David
horizontally-opposed
Sound like you need to cancel lift before worrying about downforce.

The 996 GT3 RS and GT2 modesl used front bumpers with air outlets on their top surfaces, air coming through the central intake then vented upward instead of downward and this was a real benefit in Weissach's windtunnel testing.

Several 914s have had radiators ducted (usually unscientifically) in a similar way, usually with a much larger hole in the front hood with a giant duct system. If it was done right, I bet this -- along with the right rear wing -- would solve the 914's issues entirely...

But who's gonna pay for the windtunnel time to get it truly right...with minimum drag?

pete
lapuwali
I think on a "budget", the key is simply to keep lift to a reasonable level, and overcome any induced drag with more power. Power is easier to get and measure than drag using the commonly available tools. With a turbo V8, as proposed, 500-800hp should be readily available, so drag shouldn't be a huge problem. Lift and aerodynamic stablity, however, will be.

In the 50s and 60s cars were just touching 200mph at LeMans, and generally wind tunnels weren't used. However, even into the 90s, cars were dangerously unstable at those speeds, even when (presumably) designed by professional aerodynamicists with millions of dollars in tools available to them.
YksKrad
Another thought, the area behind the rear window is a vacum correct? At speed air cannot fill the void fast enough... That would cause the air under the car to push up (actually it always will push up just nothing will be pushing down with a vacum above it Chem-101) reduceing down force on the rear wheels, and also would result in increased drag... Perhaps a slopeing design of either plexi or sheet aluminium. You could then remove the rear trunk lid as well. You could test this on your current V8

Also remember a 200 mph car isn't necissarilly getting there fast. Keep as small of a clutch on as possible, same with brakes. Big breaks and clutch are good for speeding up and slawing down fast, but that isn't exactly necissary on the salt flats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.