Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only 6 months until the WCC'06
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Howard
Pit Girls?
rick 918-S
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 6 2006, 10:44 PM)
Well, it appears that Portland Oregon is the place for the 2006 WCC. I had a very productive planning meeting today with the event planning director and co director, Gary and Pamela Chapman.
A preliminary agenda has been worked out, also the routes for the two driving days, the 8th and 9th.
The 7th is going to be a meet and greet at the Monarch Hotel. Regisration and goodie bags. Wewill have a"car wash" area set aside with hoses and wash items
The 8th will be a run up to Timberline Lodge, for a lunch and photo op, with a return down to the old Columbia River hiway to Edgefield Manor in Troutdale. Then back to the hotel. Working on a Banquet for that evening(this is not finalized yet).
The 9th will be a run out to Portland International Raceway. We will have a 914 club Car Corral, noon time Parade lap, an autocross, lots a of vintage car racing and vendors selling all kinds of goodies.
This is all subject to change, but this will give all of you an idea of what we are planning.
Craig C. Laughlin

Standing "O" for the planning team! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
rpmmaxxed
hmmmmmm.

Lets see here. By then my car SHOULD be capable of making the trip, and I could follow aaron...

I will be 18... free to venture alone into the great beyond...

contemplation begins...
Andyrew
Autox eh?

Hmm.. Track time would be best.. but I think I can dig an auto x.

rhodyguy
arron, figure portland to stockton as a reference for the first day's driving distance. believe me, you will be done. for the way down south crew i would suggest parking for the night in weed (not ON weed smoke.gif ). a half day run from there and you'll be in pdx in the early afternoon. doing the syskious at night, after a full days drive, would not be for the faint of heart.

k
boxstr
Or you could stop in Willow and eat with the bears.....
Allan
So Cal group heading up I-5 I'm assuming. Meet up with you guys here and if anybody needs to check, adjust, repair, replace, remove, change, or fix anything I have access to a lift and tools. Then we will continue on. Maybe meet up with the central coast/sacramento/modesto/fresno guys at the 580/I-5 junction?
rhodyguy
the SD to LA traffic , the grapevine during high summer... so you guys will have to head out at what? 3:00am? should be nice and cool driving from bakersfield north during the midday too wacko.gif ...but the drive is so scenic. enjoy.

k
Brando
Oh YES I am going!

I might as well ask it before the rest of the SoCal CSOBs in college do:

Anyone got a spare bed?

lol2.gif
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE (Brando @ Jan 7 2006, 01:24 PM)
Oh YES I am going!

I might as well ask it before the rest of the SoCal CSOBs in college do:

Anyone got a spare bed?

lol2.gif

lol2.gif lol2.gif

Dont need a bed, just a wooden room with straw is all I need.
jonwatts
I can't commit yet, but every year I like to use the idea of the WCC as a good excuse to put maximum effort into the car for at least the first half of the year. This time I have everything planned out; what needs to happen and when over the next 6 months. Anything could go wrong.

For me this would be primarily a shakedown cruise so track time is not a requirement.

Jon
drew365
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 6 2006, 09:49 PM)

It's about the people not just the cars. wavey.gif

Being the people person that I am, I forgot that. wink.gif
I'm definately considering it. I'll have to hang out with Howard a little before hand to develop my people skills, take some notes, shoot some video. ohmy.gif
jimtab
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 7 2006, 08:54 AM)
arron, figure portland to stockton as a reference for the first day's driving distance. believe me, you will be done. for the way down south crew i would suggest parking for the night in weed (not ON weed smoke.gif ). a half day run from there and you'll be in pdx in the early afternoon. doing the syskious at night, after a full days drive, would not be for the faint of heart.

k

Oh please, the Siskiyous are just mountains, with a freeway going thru them...I'll grant you that Mt. Ashland pass in the winter is a bitch but July....the biggest problem will probably be overheating on the long grade out of Yreka north and Ashland south....and you want us to stay in WEED, how about Mt. Shasta or better yet, Dunsmuir (where I used to live) a lot prettier down canyon and I might be able to do us some good with lodging or food...it really depends on when the "herd" gets out of the Bay Area, if we could get an early start out we could be over the hill and into Oregon by the first nite easy...and then a nice easy day to Portland. I don't care as long as we don't stop in the lower valley (Red Bluff/Redding...asshole of the world in July....
J P Stein
I plan on getting the shortest distance award.....but I could still use some travel assistance. laugh.gif
J P Stein
It's 9+ hours from my house to Yuba city.....with road food, but
pee stops every 2 hours (old man's bladder) & one gas stop.
Piece of cake.

My shop floor is vacant that time of year......but concrete is hard.
carreraguy
I'm in if I still have the Teener and there's not some sort of proximity conflict with Parade; i.e. not too keen on driving up there twice in the same month.
boxstr
Tom The Porsche Parade is August 8-13th.
CCLINPCAMEMBER
carreraguy
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 7 2006, 09:31 PM)
Tom The Porsche Parade is August 8-13th.
CCLINPCAMEMBER

Great! Thanks!
E. Fry
Ok, so I've been watching the chat and have only seen minor mention of an auto-x. Is there or is there not? If so will it be in the pro pits at PIR? (conflict w/ vintage?) I hear the parade is going to run at the expo. ctr. (unconfirmed) This site could be an option. Or maybe the Packwood site,(just 1.5 hours north)

Very curious...

Also a bit of info. PCA/PNWR has an auto-x scheduled for July 1st in Bremerton WA (about 3 hours north of Portland)
A great site and fast (can you say airport runway).

If anyone can make that one be sure to look me up.
reverie
If there isn't an autocross at the WCC, I think it would be pretty cool to set up a 200-foot skidpad, and do some skidpad testing.

The 200-foot skidpad rating of a stock (no swaybars?) 914 has been documented, but I've never seen numbers for 914s with different suspension mods. It would be interesting and fun to do that.

smile.gif
J P Stein
OK, here's the AX deal.
The vintage organizer puts one on in the Pro Pits...adjacent to the corrals which are on the grass surrounding the asphalt.
I ran it in 2004. It was manned by volunteers from the SCCA rally group. It was hand timed. It was short....23 sec & change.
It was not safe, IMO. It cost 5 bucks a run with the proceeds going to charity. Run as much as your wallet can afford. They kept track of the top 20 or so times, but you got a time slip. Craig said the 2005 deal was better.

I started a thread a while back offering to make something out of this lash-up into an event for the WCC.....trophies & all, but only a few seemed to give a shit. Needless to say I dropped it. I have my hands full of Parade AX already.

The possiblilities for something are still there. We can do something without any input from the attendees and make it available to those interested or we can organize something more structured.... but I ain't gonna push it any more. I'll run the AX as is just for the hell of it, either way.
siverson
I'm going to try and make it from San Diego... Vroooom!

-Steve
rick 918-S
QUOTE (siverson @ Feb 22 2006, 05:35 PM)

-Steve

Hey Steve! Check us out! This is a glimps of some serious HP! ohmy.gif
Andyrew
wait.. no autox? no track?

First you said no track (after I saw the pic of the track we'll be watching the vintage..) then I sucked it up and said ok to an autox..

but... no autox?

Tell me im reading this wrong...

sad2.gif

ph34r.gif Main purpose in going is to race with other 914's, and show that a v8 CAN handle well.
siverson
Yeah, Rick, that's a great shot!

Am I missing a link or something, or have there been any details posted? Schedule? Address of hotel?

This is all I could find:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=39005

17 hours for me...
http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=sa...sz=&tcountry=us

There is going to be some sort of track/AX time, right?!?! The track day was by far the most fun event last year...

-Steve
Andyrew
Ya, track event last year was AWESOME...

I would pay an extra 100+ to play on the track for a day......

and Im a cheep arse!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Feb 22 2006, 06:43 PM)
wait.. no autox? no track?

First you said no track (after I saw the pic of the track we'll be watching the vintage..) then I sucked it up and said ok to an autox..

but... no autox?

Tell me im reading this wrong...

sad2.gif

ph34r.gif Main purpose in going is to race with other 914's, and show that a v8 CAN handle well.

sad.gif
rick 918-S
Details are coming. I heard a rumor about a web link coming soon. Hang in there and check back often.

The AX has not been formally cancelled as far as I know. I'm still planning trophies for that event. I will continue to plan trophies until I here from Craig.
Eddie914
Even though I live in Seattle, I'll be driving 500 miles to get to the WWC06!

We have attended an extended family July 4th vacation at Priest Lake, Idaho for the last 15 years. If I did not attend, a family mutiny might result.

I'm hoping on coming back a day early so I can make it to WCC06 on Friday night or Saturday.

I'm planning on taking three vehicles to the vacation: (1) Famliy Chevrolet Suburban, (2) Ski boat and (3) BMW M5.

I'll come back Friday with the Suburban and the boat, leaving the M5 for my wife to drive back on Saturday with the three kids.

I hope all the rigs make the trip without incident. The Suburban has 170,000 miles. And the M5 currently has 299,975 miles on the original engine!

Anyone driving the Seattle to Portland leg on Friday evening?

The 914/6 is still without engine … the 3.2 should be delivered later this week from Sixnotfour after a freshening up!
siverson
> I would pay an extra 100+ to play on the track for a day......

You are a cheap arse because a track day is usually a lot more than $100!! smile.gif

I obviously missed some earlier info - why no track day? What tracks are up there?

-Steve
Andyrew
hehe, I know that biggrin.gif

but the key word was more... I figure it'll be 150 for registering.. add another 100 for it, and its 250...

A track event is like 200-400.. and its normally 2 days... (at the track..)

I figure one day at the track would be half that.. no? wink.gif

jim_hoyland
Got my bag packed already ! Leaving the 914 at home, taking the silver bird the 6th.
Allan
QUOTE (siverson @ Feb 22 2006, 06:21 PM)
I would pay an extra 100+ to play on the track for a day......

agree.gif

givemebeer.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Feb 22 2006, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (siverson @ Feb 22 2006, 05:35 PM)

-Steve

Hey Steve! Check us out! This is a glimps of some serious HP! ohmy.gif

Chris dropped big coin on his engine and exhaust. Too bad it's unlikely he will be at WCC06.
boxstr
Okay I am going to try and clear up the AUTOCROSS issue.
This is from the "official letter" sent to the car clubs who are going to participate.

"The autocross will be back this year! While there is not an "official fee" to participate, we do ask each participant to make a $5 donation to the Childrens Cancer Assoc.. We ask for this donation for each pass a participant makes.There will be trophies for first, second and third place based on the club with the highest amount of donations. The awards will be presented Sunday afternoon."

I hope this finally clears up the AUTOCROSS issue.
Craig
rick 918-S
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 22 2006, 07:43 PM)
Okay I am going to try and clear up the AUTOCROSS issue.
This is from the "official letter" sent to the car clubs who are going to participate.

"The autocross will be back this year! While there is not an "official fee" to participate, we do ask each participant to make a $5 donation to the Childrens Cancer Assoc.. We ask for this donation for each pass a participant makes.There will be trophies for first, second and third place based on the club with the highest amount of donations. The awards will be presented Sunday afternoon."

I hope this finally clears up the AUTOCROSS issue.
Craig

Thanks Craig! smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif piratenanner.gif rocking nana.gif beerchug.gif
Flat VW
But what are the track fees?

John rolleyes.gif
Porsche Rescue
Please note JP's description of the AX above. While it will be fun, do NOT expect a full-blown PCA/SCCA-type event like we had at at Candlestick for WCC '04. That was possible because the event happened to coincide with a PCA event which we were able to join. Likewise, no track day in '06. In '05 Howard was able to arrange for us to tag along at a scheduled POC (?) event at Streets of Willows. This year's WCC is scheduled to coincide with the Portland Historic Races at PIR. The local track will have no room for us. Even if it did, track events require an organization with insurance and other formalities which our ""non-club" does not have. Do not expect track time or a full-blown autocross and you won't be disappointed. Expect some fine driving, socializing and some great vintage racing to watch.

J P Stein
Without too much thrashing around, the WCC AX is a go....assuming a few minor issues can be worked out.
As Jim said,don't expect an SCCA National Tour event, but it should be fun. I'll get back to ya on this when things firm up.
Classes, trophies, pit dollies.....the whole bit biggrin.gif
boxstr
How much are the track fees? Do you take PAYPAL? laugh.gif
CCLINHOWARDWHEREAREU
J P Stein
2500 a day....weekdays. Send me your Visa card#.
pete-stevers
sher and i will be there...i will be wearing a pete-stevers shirt...but call me steve

Toast
I'll try.
unsure.gif
fiid
It's looking like I'm going to be able to make it. Gonna be tons of fun! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.