Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I hope I haven't destroyed my synchros double clutching for a mile... freaking shitty mechanic.

M
TROJANMAN
uhhhh,,,,,,isn't this garage fodder? confused24.gif
Lou W
Have one of our mechanics look at it over in the garage. w00t.gif lol2.gif
Pinepig
I used to have one that would eat clutch cables ( busted tube coming out of the tunnel ) When I had to stop I'd just slip it out of gear, and turn the car off. Time to go, put it in third and turn the key.

I put a Neal hydro clutch padal and slave in it and never had a problem again, I loved the clutch in that 914.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Pinepig @ Jan 6 2006, 10:26 PM)
I used to have one that would eat clutch cables ( busted tube coming out of the tunnel ) When I had to stop I'd just slip it out of gear, and turn the car off. Time to go, put it in third and turn the key.

I put a Neal hydro clutch padal and slave in it and never had a problem again, I loved the clutch in that 914.

confused24.gif where'd you get that? confused24.gif
redshift
Oh my gawd... it's in the garage..

I changed cables over a week ago.. everything looks fine, except the nut on the adjustment end won't stay... it's stripped... I adjust it fine, push in... and back to square one..

SUCK ME NUT CRAP

M
r_towle
so you have a loose nut, a stripped nut, one nut that wont stay where you put it, or are you having problems with both your nuts?

I would say get some new nuts, nylock and go from there.

Rich
bd1308
its a wierd nut....smaller than the generic 10mm nut. i think its actually the same wierd thread pitch one thats used on the rocker studs.

b
redshift
I can't be on both ends at once.. I heard a quiet sound... I think it may be the tube.

Can you repair a tube by jambing something in the tunnel to hold it in place so you can drive to a repair thingy?

M
Allan
Aren't you double nutting it?
bd1308
chopsticks work great...

four of them with twist ties all over it should work

put it in angles like this

/\
\/

but the middle section should touch the clutch tube.

bubble gum might work either.

wacko.gif

b
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 7 2006, 02:35 PM)
... the nut on the adjustment end won't stay... it's stripped... I adjust it fine, push in... and back to square one..

Did you use one of the standard 13mm wrench-size nuts? Betcha did--sounds like what happened to me when I did that.

You neet to use an M7 nut, 11mm wrench size. Two of them, tightened against each other, and that sucka won't go anywhere! I tired Nyloc, but it didn't hold well enough.

--DD
redshift
Gotta BE DA TUBE

Dark:45 out right now.. can you glue the tube in temporarily?

M
bd1308
if you need to limp it to a shop, just keep it in second gear

b
redshift
hahahah RIGHT

M
bd1308
confused24.gif
Pinepig
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jan 6 2006, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (Pinepig @ Jan 6 2006, 10:26 PM)
I used to have one that would eat clutch cables ( busted tube coming out of the tunnel )  When I had to stop I'd just slip it out of gear, and turn the car off.  Time to go, put it in third and turn the key.

I put a Neal hydro clutch padal and slave in it and never had a problem again,  I loved the clutch in that 914.

confused24.gif where'd you get that? confused24.gif

I believe I ordered it fmon CB Performance back in the day, it was a clutch pedal assymbly for a sandrail.

Looked just like this one about halfway down the page.

Click me
Allan
Yer gonna get yelled at for yer avatar.
redshift
Me?

laugh.gif
redshift
So, can I epoxy this thing in?

smile.gif

I need to fix it to get it to the fixing place.

M
Allan
QUOTE (redshift @ Jan 7 2006, 08:57 PM)
Me?

laugh.gif

No pinepig will.

You are safe Mr. Hendrix.

BTW, I know your real name... wink.gif
redshift
Look, I just need one moron to tell me it's ok to adheas-i-ficate.. ( rolleyes.gif ) the tube monetarnetously.

It's not rocket science, it's one moron's best guess...

Is there not one simpleton among us? Hello, goof! I am talking to you!

Fools need apply.

M
GWN7
Just drill down from the top of the tunnel and use really long pop rivits. Put enough of them in there and it will hold it in place.............and don't forget to sign your insurance over to me before you drive it again.... wink.gif
redshift
Under Canadian law? HAH! Try and get that to stand up in court!

M
Pinepig
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jan 7 2006, 08:32 PM)
Yer gonna get yelled at for yer avatar.

Really, I saw one of shaking boobies ( nude ) earlier.
redshift
Some fool... any fool... help.

smile.gif

M
bd1308
miles adhesive will work just fine.

my car is held together only by duct tape.

try it out.

b, the fool.
redshift
The munky has swung!

Ok Brit, be it upon your shoulders, thanks!

M
redshift
HEY! ARE THERE ANY OTHER M7 11mm NUTS ANYWHERE ON THE CHASSIS THAT I CAN USE IN A PINCH?

HEY! I SAID!!

Something is fruity.

Are there any?

M
redshift
ph34r.gif

eeemergency

r_towle
miles,

you can feel the clutch tube with the end of your fingers through the heater lever hole....

sitting in the car, with the heater lever out of the way (the one next to the shifter)
push the clutch in and out...if you feel the tube move or rattle, you then need to figure out where that is happening.

Brad did a detailed article on how to fix it..

If you cant weld, look at that article, you will see the measurements to locate where the tube is in the middle tunnel.
I am sure you could cut open the tunne in the same location and fasten/glue the tube in at that location to solve that problem...

The nut...I would say look for one in the front as your ground for the lights...
Or possibly you could use one from the windshield wiper assembly...

I seem to remember those being an odd size

If what you need to do is take your car, with the stripped nut to a shop, I might suggest that you epoxy the existing nut in the correct position, and let it harden for 24 hrs....that might let you shift a dozen times or so before it gets loose.

Rich
redshift
NONONO!

I JUST need M7 11mm nuts, or something that will fake it until I can drive to a place that has M7 11mm nuts..

It was secured with 13mm nuts since I had it, apparently...

Are there no more (m7 11mm) anywhere on my car?

Autozone has a 10mm M7, guess that won't work huh?

Oh! Light grounds! Thanks! Looking!

M
Gary#
If the problem isn't the tube - but just the nut being the wrong size...
Try these guys 4 a source of metric fasteners. They have it all -
beer.gif
http://www.metricspecialties.com/
r_towle
look on the lever/arm that makes the lights go up and down...that one might work also.

R
redshift
No joy... good lord have mercy... I want to kill someone.

This is WAY screwing me up. Been unemployed forever, and now I miss an appointment.... guess unemployed is my bag.

So, M7 is the nut size, and 11 is how many threads per MM?

M
r_towle
year of car...

I will go find you a nut...

There must be one more on the car somewhere...

Rich
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks to club member FIBES!!!

Have a few on the way around 5:30! Thanks for wittnessing the meltdown!!!

M
r_towle
NP, better than TV some days...

R
redshift
Success! Thanks for looking around Mr. Rich. I have some spares now!

I need extra everything!

M
Dave_Darling
The nuts that hold the rocker arm shafts onto the cylinder head are M7, but you don't wanna remove those... Not sure of any others off the top of my head.

The "11" is the size of the wrench that you use. The full spec is something like M7x0.5 (where the 0.5 means 0.5mm between threads). I don't know if 0.5 is the correct thread pitch or not--but there is one common one, and that's the one you use.

Get the nuts from your local hardware store. It doesn't matter which size wrench you need to use on them, as long as the threaded hole is correct for the application.

--DD
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 19 2006, 06:37 PM)
The nuts that hold the rocker arm shafts onto the cylinder head are M7, but you don't wanna remove those... Not sure of any others off the top of my head.

The "11" is the size of the wrench that you use. The full spec is something like M7x0.5 (where the 0.5 means 0.5mm between threads). I don't know if 0.5 is the correct thread pitch or not--but there is one common one, and that's the one you use.

Get the nuts from your local hardware store. It doesn't matter which size wrench you need to use on them, as long as the threaded hole is correct for the application.

--DD

unless you have upgraded those POS small ones that strip easy to the bigger studs. unsure.gif

popcorn[1].gif Hi Miles
bd1308
yeah I ended up using one of the rocker arm shaft nuts.

speaking of nuts, you might be able to train a squirrel to operate the clutch for you.

b
ClayPerrine
The correct size is M7x1.0. Get two and lock them against each other so the adjustment doesn't move.

And the front end of the clutch tube can be clamped down with a u-bolt. Pull the shifter and you can see it.

But I would consider that a temporary fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.