Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 912E 2.0 vs. 914 2.0 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
i need to know what other differences there are between the 914 version of the t4 engine and the 912E version.

why does one cost 1200 as a core and another cost 500 as a core?

b
Bleyseng
One is for Porsche and the other is for a VW!

Same longblock

tin and different FI is the only difference between them. Maybe a special flywheel ......only seen one 912E engine outta the car. popcorn[1].gif
brer
one of thems an engine from a real porsche? smilie_pokal.gif
bd1308
im trying to pull a AA here, where's Jake?

b
dmenche914
912E has more unique (ie rare and expense) smog and exhaust components, particularly on Calinazifornia cars. standards where getting tougher. . these are more expensive parts. Some sheet metal on the engine is also unique to the 912E and hence hard to find if it is lost to prior owners say when car is purchased with no engine,

Also the 912E unfortunatly falls under Calinazifornias super strict fixed smog year for testing. It is unforgiving if original smog equipment is missing, or beyond repair so you may need to get it, thats why the prices for complete cores is so high, all the extra goodies, others wise they are not that much different than a 914 engine.

The old 912 (that teh 914 replaced in 1970) non 912E with the 356 style motor are a whole different thing.
bd1308
76 912E, just engine. local to me for 1200 cash.

core but should run is what the mechanic said. Are these just 914 engines left over from the 76 914?

b
Eric_Shea
core but should run is what the mechanic said. Are these just 914 engines left over from the 76 914?

Well... as a core, yes. There's quite a few other diffs. as mentioned here.
Bleyseng
Yes, as Porsche had only so many (4100) 914 76 bodies to build cars out of. Ok, then Porsche decided to fill the "cheaper" Porsche lineup witha 912E with the ready to go 914 2.0L engine.
bd1308
okay.

so what makes thier value higher?

b
Bleyseng
The 912E IS A Porsche unlike the 914 which is a VW

av-943.gif
bd1308
rolleyes.gif

im not paying 1200 for a 914 engine as a core....

b
Eric_Shea
I could have told ya that 9 posts ago... biggrin.gif
davep
I think the 912E engine had L-jet FI like the 914 1.8 engine as opposed to the D-jet of earlier 2.0 engines. Do they have the 912E tranny available?
bd1308
its a 4 speed tranny isnt it, with removable second gear?

I'll check.

b
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 7 2006, 08:21 PM)

I'll check.

b

does it come with the trans?

its a 923 )915 with 901 input shaft...,..

trannies are worth a mint...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 7 2006, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 7 2006, 08:21 PM)

I'll check.

b

does it come with the trans?

its a 923 )915 with 901 input shaft...,..

trannies are worth a mint...

oh... and its a 5 speed... 915. special gears and most of all a 901 style input shaft......

called the TYP 923
smac
Does this core come with the fuel injection and smog components? That is the only real difference besides the sheetmetal. Jake would know for sure. If it has the fuel injection let me know, I'll compensate! biggrin.gif
bd1308
huh? just find a 1.8 Ljet system and tune it for a 2.0.

or wait until a certain someone markets a MS kit...

b
Al Meredith
I have 912E # 265 and I have previously owned # 1887 and 327. I also have a factory engine section workshop manual ( German 4 ring binder). I just removed the engine from #265 due to a very leaky oil seal. When we removed the flywheel we found one of the three shims badley deformed and the rear bearing would rotate about 15* . I desided to put this core on the shelf and build a completely new engine. Other than the tin, FI, exhaust manifolds and motor mounts I can't see anything different . Mine already had the unique thermal reactors removed. I did notice that the engine has no serial number. The engine # is on the fan shroud. Len Hoffman tapped threads into the bottom of the heads he did for me. He said 912Es have these on the 3/4" squares on the bottom . These probably support the heat exchangers and muffler as there is no Xmission to hang them on. Oh, I'll be building a Jake Raby 2056.
Trekkor

The cam? huh.gif

KT
Tom Perso
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 8 2006, 07:30 PM)

The cam? huh.gif

KT

Trekkor, those 912E engines had the carb'd T4 cam.

laugh.gif

Tom
Al Meredith
The factory book I have says: Intake opens 12*BTDC and intake closes 42*ATDC and Ex opens 43*BBDC
and Ex closes 4*ATDC
they give no lift info and valves are 42MM & 36MM
bd1308
QUOTE (Tom Perso @ Jan 8 2006, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 8 2006, 07:30 PM)

The cam? huh.gif

KT

Trekkor, those 912E engines had the carb'd T4 cam.

laugh.gif

Tom

yet they all had L-jet from the factory?

so L-jet handles carb cams???

wait...that kinda makes sense. idea.gif

b
Jake Raby
I have researched the 912E for about 17 years now and currently own two(986& 486).. The 912E is a huge portion of my customer base because so few people understand the car/engine.

The 912E uses the same longblock as a 1976 914. The camshaft used is the same spec as a 2.0 Bus engine due to the L jet EFI and lower CR of the engine from the factory.

The realy special components for the engine are many of the EFI parts, and the entire exhaust system including heater boxes. We are currently having 100% reproductions of these being made from Stainless since originals are so shot out after 30 years.

The flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/disc are all 914 parts 100%.

The tranny has the SAME gearing as the 915 for the same year 911. The difference in the 923 gearbox is the input shaft, as it is a 901 unit. For this to work the intermediate assembly is different and that calls for special bearings. The 912E used a 14" wheel and a shorter tire to lower the gearing a tad for the less powerful engine that only made 76HP stock.

The 912E engine was a "Sweep the floor" unit for sure. Of the dozens I have built (well over 100) no two have been exactly alike! None of them have an engine serial number on the case, only on the fan housing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.