Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing 1970 914 Gas Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ojai914
Hello. I just purchased a 1970 914-4 and it isn't running right now. I'm going to run a compression test but first I'm draining the gas and oil. I already drained the oil, but now I need to get the gas tank out of the car and disconnect all of the fuel lines. Does anyone have experience with this? Also, I've heard that 914s often suck valves when they go. Is this true? What are some other things I should check for to make it run? Thanks a lot, and by the way, this looks like a great resource as I try to restore my first Porsche.
McMark
1. If your paint is nice, think about taking off the front hood.
2. Undo the center strap with a large flat screwdriver.
3. Remove the expansion tank. There is one 6x1 (10mm) bolt near the washer bottle, and one 6x1 (10mm) bolt right where the center strap was. Pull the tank towards the front of the car.
4. If your charcoal canister is connected (drivers side) undo the hoses.
5. Have a friend help you lift the tank out. This is where you might scratch the inside of the front hood. If you leave the hood on have some towels ready to cushion where it might hit, specifically the filler surround.
6. Usually there is enough hose to set the drivers side end of the tank into the front trunk while the passengers side end of the tank sticks up in the air.
lapuwali
To remove the gas tank, jack up the front of the car and remove the pan that fits between the front suspension pieces. Above that, you'll find a large round hole on the passenger side, and through that you'll find the tank outlet and return. Undo those to drain the tank completely.

Let the front of the car down, open the front trunk, and disconnect the canister on the driver's side, the hoses from the expansion tank (around the filler neck), remove the expansion tank, and disconnect the fuel level sender connector you'll find underneath.

Disconnect the hold down strap.

Standing in the trunk, grasp the tank at each end and pull up. The tank isn't heavy, just big and awkward. It will resist some, as it's wedged in with soft pads.

There's no need to remove the front trunk lid.
Eric_Shea
Welcome.

To yank the tank you'll need to:

*Take the suspension shield off (if it's still there). Two 13mm and 2 17mm's
*Take off the lines and drain them (fun)
*Remove the evap tank and hoses
*Disconnect the fuel gauge wiring
*Take a big screwdriver and undo the strap.
*Comes up and out.

Pay attention to where the plastic/rubber side mounts are and to where the carpet strips are.

Some suck vale seats but sucking vales only comes from a while of neglect or an improper rebuild. T4's are pretty tough.

Good luck.

E.
Eric_Shea
(guess I'm a slow typer) biggrin.gif
McMark
You have to remove the center strap before you can remove the expansion tank on the early cars. wink.gif And I find draining first to be a waste of time. tongue.gif
r_towle
and then there is the "Oh shit" method.

I was drilling a hole in the passenger side floorpan/firewall to mount a stereo amp.

Well, I drilled right into the gas tank (ok it was quite a few years ago...first 914 and all)

Anyways, as you may have guessed, I drilled into the tank, and gas started to pour into the passenger side footwell.

Now, it is really amazing , once you decide, how fast you can take out a tank under alot of time pressure.

Well, remove the strap, grab the tank and pull it up really hard, the old rubber lines wont hold up to a really good yank.

And vualla your tank is out.
All of 30-45 seconds.

It was not a good day, got a new tank all boiled out and pretty now.

Rich
swl
all of the above

Based on my pull on a 73 tank the stock hose is not long enough to get it into the trunk. We had to hold up the passenger side keeping the drivers side low so the fuel didn't spill then cut the fuel lines. The clamps were siezed and even once it was out the rubber was so hard that it had to be cut off. So be prepared to replace those hoses. Depending on how long the car has been sitting you may have to either clean out or replace the lines back to the rear. BTW - Eric and James' method of removing the suspension shield avoids all the problems with trying to lift the tank with the hoses in place. If you don't have a helper that is the only way of getting it out without lots of cursing.

If you don't already have one get a Haynes manual. The folks here are great but the manual will give you something you can take out to the garage with you.
goose2
Whether or not you drain the tank MIGHT depend on how much gas is in it wink.gif
70Sixter
And I'd disconnect the battery to avoid any sparks. Empty tank more explosive than a full one. But empty is lighter. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.