Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: boxster engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
armrad
Thinking about doing a conversion of my 74 1.8 type 4 motor. Would rather stay Porsche than a Subaru conversion. Has anyone used a boxster 2.5L water box? Will it fit without much rearranging? How about the trany, will a boxster engine mate to a side shifter or will the trany off a boxster mate to the rear wheel drive of a 914?
lagunero
It seems that the Boxster motor will not fit without major mods (rear suspension).
anthony
Brad's friend Jason (what ever happened to him?) was doing a Boxster conversion and to make it fit they were adapting a Boxster rear suspension to the 914.
ConeDodger
There is a guy local here in Sacramento putting a 3.X motor from a late model car complete with its stock EFI. The motor is similar in dimension to the Boxster 2.5. He had his suspension tube framed and externally valved shocks done by a race car shop out by Sears Point. I am not sure what that cost but Mikes pockets are deep enough I suppose...

Rob
neo914-6
This was just being discuss, look down the page... biggrin.gif
SilverBullet
Hi!
Here I am (Jason)

Neo thought that I should chime in.

The project is coming along. I don't spend time on the board, because I'd rather be in the garage cutting and welding. wink.gif

Simply put you will have to cut the suspension tabs out of the engine compartment for any of the Boxster or 996 motors to fit. There is not enough room. To further discourage you, the motor will need one of the following forms of engine management: Reflash the ECU (~$1500 min) because the ECU is programmed to see many components in the chassis (ABS, multiple ECUs, instrument cluster...). Or you can run a fully tuneable stand alone engine management system. (~$700 on Ebay.) Megasquirt (cheaper) can't be used unless you are super programming savvy and have lots of time on your hands to iron-out issues. It hasn't been done and there is no support for it yet. You would need to control the Coil on plug, and Variocam, and perhaps fly-by-wire. Or a completely different approach might be to pull the EFI and run carbs, but I've not looked into that.

I will be running a programmable stand alone engine management sys, and using the factory rear suspension from a boxster, along with the factory trani. For those components expect to spend over $3k not including the motor. You might also consider this approach, but keep in mind the axles will need to be custom: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-996...1QQcmdZViewItem

I probably won't be back on the board for another month or so. Good luck to you if you decide to pursue. It'd be nice to compare notes as your project comes along.
IronHillRestorations
Don't want to rain on your parade, but as cheap as Boxsters are you'd be better off finding a good used NEW 914-6, instead of trying to make a 914 into a 986! Have a good air cooled one, and enjoy the creature comforts and 914 similarities of the NEW 914-6!

It be alot easier, faster, and a whole lot less Star Trek.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.