Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teeners and Cold Weather
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
Hello to everyone, wavey.gif

Well merely conjecture, but the few times I have encountered cold weather, I have had odd operation out of my car, in some way or other....... idea.gif

I was just in Marble Canyon, Arizona for some fishing and it was cold there, got down to about twenty degrees F.

I went out in the morning to pop the front trunk to retrive Laurie's "cold weather gear" and at first it would not function.
I had just recently adjusted it and it is "set up" just right.
I found that if I pulled and held the cable for a moment, it would function fine. screwy.gif

I also had my speedometer make a "really cool grinding noise" during our twenty minute drive down to the Colorado River in the morning, but, once it was time to leave and nearly fourty degrees warmer, it functioned fine.

Well my question is what are some common "cold weather maladies" some of you must endure with your teener?
I do realize many are put away for winter.

What is the coldest weather you have ever operated your teener in?

John screwy.gif

P.S. If one had no impeller fan running on a MOVING type four car, and it were cold enough, could it ever be cold enough to operate the car without damaging the engine?

How cold?
Joe Ricard
Answering your last question 1st NO

Other things that happen to my car when it gets cold:
Gear selection is stiff till the tranny warms up
the ignition key in stiff till the car warms up (need to clean it)
Colder than a witches tit till I drive it down the road and build heat in the exhaust.
KaptKaos
More importantly, what kind of fishing were you doing?
bd1308
I've been in twenty degree weather with my 914. My 914 is a daily driver....

With L-jet it has *NEVER* given me one issue. with the carbs, i always had to fiddle with it.

John, your IDFs dont have chokes....it was like Charles (LN) when he started his 911T, ya gotta gas it until the carbs stop spitting.

Plus your IDFs werent tuned to KY elevation anyway.

b
toecutter
After the motor finally warms up it runs the best when it's butt ass cold outside. Of course so do I as opposed to when it's 104 here in Texas. My car loves 30 or 40 degrees. Runs like a scalded dog!
GeorgeRud
I had a 914 2.0 as my only driver back in 1974 (when we were both young), and here in Illinois I had it out in below zero weather many times. Once everything gets warmed up, it worked well and the heat exchangers kept us nice and warm. Till then, nothing really wanted to work well. I seem to remember getting a dipstick heater to keep the oil flowing on the real bad mornings.

Don't worry about the cold weather though, it was driving it in the snow on regular tires that was really a challange. Central Illinois had lots of highly crowned farm roads with deep ditches to catch you. Thank God for winter cars and Blizzaks!
Flat VW
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Jan 9 2006, 10:53 AM)

Trout fishing, upriver from Lee's Ferry.

It was slow, few fish, all small.

The word is that Lake Powell above the dam (Glen Canyon) got so low this year that water was drawn from a warmer thermocline (sp?) this year resulting in high Colorado River water temps, 60 degrees F. as opposed to a usual 47 degrees F. .

The annual spawn had not started yet and is normally in full swing at this time.

I love to take out-of-town guests there as it is such a beautiful place that if one ends up with good fishing it is only a bonus.

John

P.S. We took a guided trip up river this time.....

mudfoot76
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 9 2006, 01:58 PM)
John, your IDFs dont have chokes....it was like Charles (LN) when he started his 911T, ya gotta gas it until the carbs stop spitting.

No IDF carbs have chokes -- and you've likely figured this out already, but when it is cold, once you get it started, let it idle for a few minutes. The last DE I went to it was in the mid 20s on the first day. It was a beeotch to get the car started, but once it got a little warm, it stopped coughing and spitting and ran really strong....
Flat VW
QUOTE (GeorgeRud @ Jan 9 2006, 11:10 AM)
Don't worry about the cold weather though, it was driving it in the snow on regular tires that was really a challange. Central Illinois had lots of highly crowned farm roads with deep ditches to catch you.

George, your comment reminded me of the "farm roads" I frequented in Michigan as a kid about the same time you had that teener.

Some were so crowned they were nearly a hazard dry!

John

P.S. High-center a teener? ohmy.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Jan 9 2006, 11:22 AM)

The word is that Lake Powell above the dam (Glen Canyon) got so low this year that water was drawn from a warmer thermocline (sp?) this year resulting in high Colorado River water temps, 60 degrees F. as opposed to a usual 47 degrees F. .

The annual spawn had not started yet and is normally in full swing at this time.

I love to take out-of-town guests there as it is such a beautiful place that if one ends up with good fishing it is only a bonus.

John

Trout do not like it that warm, that's for sure.

I have read about Lee's Ferry, but do not know much about what hatches there and when? Were there any hatches at this time of year or were you nymphing?

I have read stories of football sized trout being pulled out of there. I need to get out there sometime.
Flat VW
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Jan 9 2006, 11:25 AM)

No IDF carbs have chokes -- and you've likely figured this out already, but when it is cold, once you get it started, let it idle for a few minutes. The last DE I went to it was in the mid 20s on the first day. It was a beeotch to get the car started, but once it got a little warm, it stopped coughing and spitting and ran really strong....

I think I finally have the tune right on these carbs.

It started right up, the Pertronix makes all the difference (thx AA).

The cold starting issues I have had were all "points based", as I look back, I am nearly certain.

That is what Brad Mayeur had suggested from the first, P-O-I-N-T-S.

John screwy.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Jan 9 2006, 12:25 PM)

uh my IDF's have chokes
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2006, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Jan 9 2006, 12:25 PM)

uh my IDF's have chokes

dont make me quote myself again.... laugh.gif

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jan 9 2006, 11:15 AM)
Answering your last question 1st  NO

Other things that happen to my car when it gets cold:
Gear selection is stiff till the tranny warms up
the ignition key in stiff till the car warms up (need to clean it)
Colder than a witches tit till I drive it down the road and build heat in the exhaust.

When my sister lived in Evergreen Colorado she couldn't set her E brake over night because the rear drums would be seized the next morning. Engine block warmers were mandatory even in the garage.

Sticking the door key in the lock was impossible unless you had some sort of method of defrosting the lock mechanism... LOL

Roger

user posted image
mudfoot76
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2006, 02:37 PM)
uh my IDF's have chokes

Really? Mind don't.....AFAIK, they weren't designed with them...but what do I know? Just enough to be dangerous wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Jan 9 2006, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2006, 02:37 PM)
uh my IDF's have chokes

Really? Mind don't.....AFAIK, they weren't designed with them...but what do I know? Just enough to be dangerous wacko.gif

most ive seen have block off plates....

mind you these weber IDF's were bought new 3 years ago....
mudfoot76
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2006, 02:47 PM)

Very interesting...a PO installed the 44s currently on my car. The choke setup on your car - is it something you control or are they automatic? I'm just curious...
Elliot_Cannon
I have no idea how my car runs in cold weather because when it gets below 50 degrees I lose consciousness.
Elliot
Flat VW
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Jan 9 2006, 11:33 AM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Jan 9 2006, 11:22 AM)

John

Trout do not like it that warm, that's for sure.

I have read about Lee's Ferry, but do not know much about what hatches there and when? Were there any hatches at this time of year or were you nymphing?

I have read stories of football sized trout being pulled out of there. I need to get out there sometime.

We were using roe imitations (glo bugs) and "San Juan worms", even with the spawn not at speed yet the roe imitations were best. confused24.gif

There was a Midge hatch underway at the time but we were "drift fishing" for this trip. ph34r.gif

John

P.S. I have waded at Paria Creek just downriver from the Ferry many times, when the fish are happening it is some of the best fishing I have ever seen. The release levels can vary wildly though, particularly in the summer, and caution is needed when fishing there.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (mudfoot76 @ Jan 9 2006, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2006, 02:47 PM)

Very interesting...a PO installed the 44s currently on my car. The choke setup on your car - is it something you control or are they automatic? I'm just curious...

they are cable operated... but not hooked up.

weber 44's.....
John
No IDF carbs have chokes --

WTF?

Perhaps there is a terminology thing here....

All Weber IDF's have chokes (unless one takes them out).

The choke is the round collar like thing down inside the barrel of the carb. They determine the amount of airflow that the carb will pass. 44mm Webers can accept larger chokes than 40mm Webers.

The "choke" in the IDF Webers do not perform the function that the choke plate in other carburettors do. (which is to restrict airflow when cold and open when the engine warms up)

Sorry for the hijack.....
Back to your regularly scheduled thread ------->
bd1308
i'm just talking. dont pay attention to me biggrin.gif

mudfoot76
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jan 9 2006, 03:48 PM)

The "choke" in the IDF Webers do not perform the function that the choke plate in other carburettors do. (which is to restrict airflow when cold and open when the engine warms up)

Hence the confusion -- and like I mentioned earlier, I only know enough to be dangerous wavey.gif

Thanks for clearing that up!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Jan 9 2006, 01:48 PM)
No IDF carbs have chokes --

WTF?

All Weber IDF's have chokes (unless one takes them out).

The choke is the round collar like thing down inside the barrel of the carb. They determine the amount of airflow that the carb will pass. 44mm Webers can accept larger chokes than 40mm Webers.

Sorry for the hijack.....
Back to your regularly scheduled thread ------->

also known as venturi's.....

My weber IDF's have a cable operated MANUAL choke circuit......
rhodyguy
what? chokes? i can't find them in the exploded view. point me in the right direction.

k
rhodyguy
fuel enrichment device. gm power door lock actuators.

k
Flat VW
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2006, 05:48 PM)
fuel enrichment device. gm power door lock actuators.

k

Cute set-up

I just don't hardly need the chokes here in southern Arizona. flag.gif

Would the attachment of a "hand throttle" accomplish the same purpose?

John

P.S. Manual cruise control also?
Aaron Cox
kevin, very cool setup. id thought of using an RC plane servo and have it pull on two cables.....
John
what? chokes? i can't find them in the exploded view. point me in the right direction.

Check item #12 in the attached image (I hope it's not too big)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.