Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stuff for the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
So I got bored waiting for my car to come back from the painter.
Decided to do a little quick fab work.

Made some backing plates for my roll bar and petty bar, I bought it used and the backing plates had long since been misplaced. Steve H. this is the rollbar out of your car when Mike owned it (cage installed upon RB removal).

Since I was painting the plates decided to tidy up the roll bar and petty bar with a little fast dry gloss black paint. Most of it will be covered by roll bar padding, but what the hay!

While I was at it decided to make some cover plates for the foglight openings, since they are removed now anyway.

Not bad for a couple hours work wink.gif

Now for a car to install this stuff on! rolleyes.gif wacko.gif

Pic of roll bar
DanT
Backing plates (steel, of course)
DanT
And foglight area cover (in aluminum) biggrin.gif
Jeroen
don't you need to weld some nuts to the backingplates?
DanT
Nope,
bolt directly through the floor pan. Through and through. Bolt, washer, backing plate, floor pan, foot plate of roll bar or petty bar, washer, nyloc nut.
done deal smile.gif
DanT
Here's some other stuff I have sitting around waiting for a car to put it on.
DanT
and some self polished wheels that will have Yoko A032Rs mounted soon.
DanT
And Bilstein sports with 180# springs

Also have M calipers and billet hubs to retain 4 bolt pattern.
Koni Sport adjustables, 21 mm torsion bars, rack spacer smile.gif For the front end.

Trekkor
Somebody's getting excited boldblue.gif

Nice parts.

I'm getting excited, too.
I enrolled in the ground school on Feb 11th today. Yay!

KT
DanT
Great,
I may go and see what John Seidell is up to. See what the new program will look like. That way I know what my new students are exposed to at the ground school.
I usually go at least once every couple of years just for that.

Yes I am getting excited. Talked to my painter today and he is planning on putting on the paint by this weekend. May have the car back in the next 2 weeks....all orange. Yippeeeee! boldblue.gif clap.gif
If he sticks to his program I should have plenty of time to get the thing back together by Sears.
How is your repaint going. Full or partial repaint?

driving.gif smile.gif
Trekkor
Just talked to Brandon tonight.

I also will be filling the sidemarker and antenna holes. Window squirters are a maybe.

Full exterior repaint in light ivory. Randal has offerd his smooth targa top which I will accept for painting.

I'm trying to decide if I should section and pull the rear fenders for bigger skins.

I hope to remove the bumpers, lenses, chrome, door handles and trims this weekend.

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jan 9 2006, 10:40 PM)
Just talked to Brandon tonight.

I also will be filling the sidemarker and antenna holes. Window squirters are a maybe.

Full exterior repaint in light ivory. Randal has offerd his smooth targa top which I will accept for painting.

I'm trying to decide if I should section and pull the rear fenders for bigger skins.

I hope to remove the bumpers, lenses, chrome, door handles and trims this weekend.

KT

awesome.

no side marker holes...no antennae holes... and pulled fenders... (sounds familiar)
now paint it black....plz
Trekkor
I will be skipping the first TT with GGR at Sears.
I have other plans that weekend both mornings.

I will likely come out and look around on Saturday afternoon. ( Begging for rides ) rolleyes.gif

Between Trackmasters, GGR, and SVR there is more track time available than anybody can handle.

And then there's my a/x season... driving.gif

KT
DanT
Before I took my car to the painter I disassembled just about everything other than the front and rear windows. All other chrome, aluminum and rubber trim and gaskets removed.
Smoothed top in white will look very nice biggrin.gif
I had side markers, squirters, old aftermarket mirrors, bottom B pillar chrome trim, antennae, and rear reflector holes welded over and smoothed.

Disassembly doesn't take too long. Took me probably about 6 hours, start to finish. Even took off door panels so he could wrap new paint around so no old stuff would show.

I think you will be very happy with the smooth look.
It will be nice that both of us are starting the new season with new paint jobs.
Don't follow that 911 too close before you pass them....might nik up that new paint! wink.gif

Oh well they are race cars, right??? wacko.gif huh.gif
Trekkor
Mines a repaint of original color so the jambs and trunks won't matter.

I have 2 other targa tops, so I can switch around.

You've seen Gary Dorighi's rear flare treatment, right?
Pretty cool, I think. Extreme fender pull.

Aaron,
I had a black 914 before. The yellow showed through in the trunks, inner rockers and jambs. It bummed me out.

KT

DanT
Gary's car was done years ago, when everyone was doing GT flares. His was one of the first I ever saw with that treatment. It was done by a former GGR member that has since moved on to building award winning hotrods.
His name escapes me right now, but he also painted , Ted and Kevin Voigt's 914-6 2.8L twin plug years ago when it belonged to Tom Van Overbeek (Johannes's (Flying Lizard) dad).
He has also painted several 911s that are still time trialed. He does awesome body and paint work!
smilie_pokal.gif

Trekkor
Gary's car.
Not the greatest shot of the flare.

KT
DanT
They are very subtle unless you know what you are looking for.
I like them better than GT flares (sorry guys, just my personal opinion)

Even the fronts are flared but you have to look closely since the contours follow the original lines so well.
DanT
I knew it was come to me...headbang.gif
I believe Gary's car was done by Bob Cross. At the time he used the business name of CrossCraft. He had a small shop in his back yard. Used a rotisserie and all.

He was very thorough in his paint and body process.
DanT
Cars done by Bob Cross many years ago still TTing with GGR.
Ted and Kevin Voigt
DanT
Gary's car. Notice from the side how subtle the flares are! smilie_pokal.gif
DanT
And a taildragger ohmy.gif
Trekkor
Dan, did you do anything to allow for a bigger tire?

KT
DanT
Rear fenders were pulled as far as possible without causing issues with the quater panel.
Fender lips were all hand dollied completely flat. Should be able to get 225s on 7s if it comes out like my 914-6 did. Did them the same way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.