Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Longitudinals repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pek771
I'll post some new pictures when I get home. I may have the record for rusted longitudinals, but I am going to fix them anyway. PO did a lot of shoddy quiltwork patching, and when I got the car opened up really well, it is ugly. I got the heater tube out of the drivers side long just a minute ago. The amount of rust is mind-boggling. At least the car is lighter now. It has taken three weeks to get it cut up this far (link in my signature)

How did Porsche construct the longs originally? Was it like a shoebox turned on its side, with the lid facing out (the inner rocker panel is the lid)? I can make a new box of 16 ga steel, roughly 6-1/2" x 4" with some internal stiffeners, and bulkhead the rear to help carry the suspension. Weld the new box into what is left of the existing longitudinal, put some new inner rockers in and be done with it.

This sounds too simple, even though I have a sheet metal shop and my MIG machine at my disposal. Anyone ever try to do this before, or am I venturing into new uncharted waters? Or, am I delusional?

Thanks!
Pat
Bleyseng
I would just buy the BradMayer Clamshells for the outer rocker repair and a new floorpan and be done with it.

What are you going to do with the rear shock towers as the brace is cut away.
r_towle
Shoe box is correct.

I would say think this out.

Clean up the inside of the inner long.

add the inner long kit that is here on the resources section...

Then do the floors over...

Now, remove the outer long...
Replace it with the outer clamshell kit from restoration design...it extends partially up towards the shock tower.

For the shock tower, ask Jaroen what he did, he has great pics of that area and how to fix it with welding wire...

BTW, Ive seen worse that have been saved...its just time and metal.
Rich
MecGen
Dude

Without seeing a pic, this is a lot of work for even an experienced metal worker, have you ever done this before?
Don't get me wrong, it can be done, and there are lots of resto threds that have used a lot of fabricated parts with good results...
Just depends on the persons budjet, and time.

Don.t forget the pics

+Karma

Later

beer.gif

Sideways
I think you have my car. You painted it green and have the same rust........ biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE (MecGen @ Jan 9 2006, 08:54 PM)
Dude

Without seeing a pic, this is a lot of work for even an experienced metal worker, have you ever done this before?
Don't get me wrong, it can be done, and there are lots of resto threds that have used a lot of fabricated parts with good results...
Just depends on the persons budjet, and time.

Don.t forget the pics

+Karma

Later

beer.gif

Dude, read the thread...pics are in his signature....

Lots and lots of them
MecGen
My Bad

Missed the "new"

beer.gif
pek771
OK, I got some of the really ugly stuff on the website; progress 136 and up. Some interesting views of the inside of the left longitudinal which shows the rust pretty clearly.

I am currently flipping between "what a moron I am" and "yeah, I can fix this pretty easy".

Attached is one of my favorites:

Pat

JoeSharp
I'm just really sorry I didn't find you sooner. We could have sent you a completely rust free chassie for next to nothing.... happy11.gif. Well $200.00 plush shipping anyway biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif But seiousely now if you need something that can be cut out of a car let me know because we are going to cut up another one, next week.
: PERMAGRIN: Joe
JoeSharp
Ya know Pat: Thats the way I feel about my driver. The Hell Hole holds water but not magnets. I'm sory Pat , but I have post this as a thread.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
marks914
Here is a link to my clamshell installation:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=43597

Mark
pek771
Mark:
Thanks for the link. I have figured out how I can rebuild the longs to my satisfaction, and get all of the old rusted crap out. It is not quite starting from scratch, but pretty close.

I am working on the problem of a jig to hold everything together to tack all of the parts in. I should have a better idea by early next week. I will likely need to get the car off the rotisserie for the weld-in work. but I need to figure a support method...tricky, since I don't have valid, solid longs or suspension consoles at the moment.

BTW, anyone know what kind of rake a 914 usually has, F to R? I need to find some alignment specs, also.

Pat
GWN7
Top of the page ...green bar "914 info"

Also look in the "Classic threads" section. Several there on replacing sheet metal.

Cross brace in the doors
JoeSharp
Pat: We (Thomas and myself) have been looking for almost rust free chassies for over a year together. Every time I think we have scored Thomas finds a problem and we (or he) cut it up. The next time we have a long that has a small hole in it we will cut it out and send it east.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
pek771
Figured I post some more progress on cutting out the rust. Maybe I can do the rust abatement in the longs by the weekend, so that I can be ready to try the new longs I'm fabricating next week. It amazes me that this car was patched together like this and was being driven. The right rear trailing arm adjusters shims were tack welded in!
Progress photos 156-170 in the link.
Also, thanks to everyone for your offer, help and encouragement.
Pat

pek771
So, I found the rear section of a California car. It was basically cut in half. Anyone ever spliced two halves together before? Seems like a pretty easy fix.
Pat
Bleyseng
Yes, I have seen that including a 914/6 rear and a 914/4 front. Musta been a hellve wreck.
Lou W
Bleyseng Posted on Jan 14 2006, 07:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I have seen that including a 914/6 rear and a 914/4 front. Musta been a hellve wreck.  

Automible Atlanta has one forsale. biggrin.gif
pek771
So, I started to make some more progress. I had to take a brief hiatus for finishing the basement, plumbing the new washer and dryer and other mundane stuff. I prepped the left side a bit to accept the new longs I picked up from a California car. I'm still thinking of the best way to splice them in, and finish it off with the stuff I got from Bill at Restoration Design. I am hoping to get one side done by Sunday.
pek771
Cleaned up long rear section
pek771
If I had a functional brain, I'd cut this wreck up and stick it in the metal dumpster at work.

However, I really don't have the heart to throw a 914 away when I may still be able to save it.

New left long tacked in. I have to get it off the rotiserrie to weld it and align that side.

Hammy
you've gone this far... why give up? You can do it smile.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
Lou W
Hammy Posted on Feb 4 2006, 08:16 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you've gone this far... why give up? You can do it    

agree.gif welder.gif Pretty impressive, keep the pictures coming smile.gif
pek771
I'll have to put some new pix on the website. Here's another.
Thanks for the encouragement! Even though I've found another track car, I'll keep at this. Maybe I'll put a little 2 liter in it and let the GF drive it for autox.
736conver
dedication

smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
pek771
Well, I hate to say this, but I couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. In order to save me from myself, I sadly cut the tub up. It was taking up too much time for what would ultimately have been not worth it. I can't even bear to post a picture of it.

Luckily, I believe I found another, set up just the way I wanted this to be set up. I'll fill you in next week.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. The next one will rock.

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.