Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't turbo a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rockaria
So exactly what series of events has to take place for someone to decide... "Hmmm... I like 914 conversions... Lets put in a Maserati 2.5 Bi Turbo engine and see what that can do?"

Twin Turbo 914

Wild! I guess it's true. Most people have more money than they know what to do with. blink.gif
VaccaRabite
I am conflicted about this. On the one hand, I think its cool - especially if it can be gotten to work.

On the other handputting a masarati in a 914 seems more wrong to me then a chevy or scoob plant.

Zach
maxwelj
Doesn't appear that there's too much interest in the German Italian matchup, though.... sawzall-smiley.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 10 2006, 10:34 AM)
I am conflicted about this. On the one hand, I think its cool - especially if it can be gotten to work.

On the other handputting a masarati in a 914 seems more wrong to me then a chevy or scoob plant.

Zach

agree.gif

defeats the whole cheap hp advantage of a conversion...
bondo
Don't the biturbos feed the pressurized air into a big chamber with a CARB in it? Seems like a terrible idea to me.
bd1308
I just thought it would be a cool thing to do.

thsi is actually my car.

it runs very well.

barf.gif laugh.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 10 2006, 10:02 AM)
I just thought it would be a cool thing to do.

thsi is actually my car.

it runs very well.

barf.gif laugh.gif

Cool, But I need to know.. How often is a Maserati engine just lying around ready to use? cool.gif
bd1308
no kidding....

even said no rust. I call BS on this one.

b
maf914
QUOTE (bondo @ Jan 10 2006, 07:49 AM)
Don't the biturbos feed the pressurized air into a big chamber with a CARB in it? Seems like a terrible idea to me.

I think that is to have the same pressures inside and outside the carb body. That way the carb body doesn't have to be modified to contain boost pressure, without leaking boost and spewing out fuel. laugh.gif

That was one of the ways manufacturers tried with early turbo setups.

Lotus used a blow through arrangement when they first turboed the Elite. Four cylinders, dual Delhortos, turbo...lots of horsepower. They blew the snot out of it! laugh.gif
mharrison
I love the fact that it's an eBay add......

can you say "Let me dump this before I'm in too deep!"
anthony
From the ad: "It looks bad, but it's not"

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
maxwelj
Many of the Paxton Blown Studebakers also used boxes around their carbs. That way they didn't have to modify the carb to hold in the 4-6psi the blower added. Tended to blow fuel out of the accelerator pump linkage hole on those AFB's.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Jan 10 2006, 07:34 AM)
a masarati in a 914 seems more wrong to me then a chevy or scoob plant

would that be called "wronger" ???

idea.gif Andy
fiid
I think this is all caused by Porshe parts not being expensive enough.... chairfall.gif
r_towle
If someone here buys it...I call dibs on the motor...

I need it.

Rich
Dr. Roger
watch out for this one.

i had a '86 bi turbo.
overhead cams. the valve adjustment are done via a shim system. all aluminum. 4 valve.

has a blow thru turbo.

hella' torque when it runs right. =-)

ask yourself why there are so few on the road anymore...
Eric_Shea
It looks bad but its not

It most absolutelyforsurefucking"a" is laugh.gif
neo914-6
Porscherati

Maserosche

gayfight.gif
lincoln
funny thing is im actually looking into this car- biturbos were rated from the initial 180 hp to the final 285 hp, will need a LOT of custom one-off parts tho to make it all work

but the addiction has struck full force and now i feel a need to have more than 1 that needs work BIG TIME!!

sure its not porsche, not a GM and aint a hemi either, but that maserati on the valve covers looks pretty cool heheh
Mueller
QUOTE (lincoln @ Jan 10 2006, 06:06 PM)
funny thing is im actually looking into this car- biturbos were rated from the initial 180 hp to the final 285 hp, will need a LOT of custom one-off parts tho to make it all work

but the addiction has struck full force and now i feel a need to have more than 1 that needs work BIG TIME!!

sure its not porsche, not a GM and aint a hemi either, but that maserati on the valve covers looks pretty cool heheh

i'd find how he adapted the motor to the transmission 1st, if custom one-off parts for the clutch or flywheel, that project car can get expensive in a hurry...

by the way, the new "hemi's" are not "hemi's" at all....pure marketing BS which the general public has bought into smile.gif
jimtab
The Chrysler/Masarati bi-turbo cars were and are a fucking nightmare.. I had a client who bought one in the mid 80's and it was a constant pit for money...he finally just donated it to some "cause"...couldn't bring himself to foist it on anyone else....said he'd never buy another Chrysler product or Italian car...PERIOD. And...he has kept his word, 2 mercedes and a BM trouble U... happy11.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jan 10 2006, 07:39 AM)
defeats the whole cheap hp advantage of a conversion...

is there even such a thing ?laugh.gif
Maltese Falcon
Turbos were small IHIs (aka Warner Ishi). Turbonetics sells seals, cartridges, etc. all available but NOT cheap. Like all of the other maserippi items that you will need--bring lots of Lira with you. I say BUY this car cheap, put a 2.0 back in it and sell the V6 to someone on pasta.com. I'm sure they need another engine-coffee table rolleyes.gif
TravisNeff
Why does the car look so whet? recent flood car? I mean by looking at the engine, maybe it is just me
airsix
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jan 10 2006, 08:30 PM)
put a 2.0 back in it and sell the V6 to someone on pasta.com. I'm sure they need another engine-coffee table rolleyes.gif

pasta.com he he he (snort) he he he (snort) chairfall.gif
-Ben M.
Maltese Falcon
I might have to check this one out, curiousity you know--and real close by according to the area code. I'll try and reach the dude in the AM.
With all this Maserati talk, now I'm in the mood for hot plate of sgetti chowtime.gif
Marty
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Jan 10 2006, 11:38 PM)
I might have to check this one out, curiousity you know--and real close by according to the area code. I'll try and reach the dude in the AM.
With all this Maserati talk, now I'm in the mood for hot plate of sgetti chowtime.gif
Marty

dude,

in the early 90's i blew a cool 1,700 clams on a major tune-up on that money pit.

funny, i immediately went to MBZ and Toyota. laugh.gif the polar opposite.

i thought the same thing about the pretty valve covers.... that's why i went purple power coating on Bebe's valve covers. it's an anti-christ/anti-valve cover thing.... kinda. ohmy.gif laugh.gif
lincoln
well i doubt ill be winning this in any case so ill share some info on it

guy has the flywheel and adapter plate already made -also said he has all the parts just hasnt got it all put together
i asked if he had a buyout in mind and he said $1500.00

real funny thing is when i was a teen i ALSO said i wanted a maserati lol so woulda been killing 2 birds with 1 stone, and from what i ben seeing here a WHOLE lotta money heheh

guess ill just have to try to build power the old way huh (trial and error and several rebuilds and motor swaps til i find one i can live with)
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (lincoln @ Jan 11 2006, 07:11 AM)
guess ill just have to try to build power the old way huh (trial and error and several rebuilds and motor swaps til i find one i can live with)

There are three allready proven ways to add power to a 914 _relativly_ cheaply.
McMark/Raby 2056
Subaru convert
SBC convert

And also 2 proven but $$ ways to add power
Raby crate engine
Porsche 6 conversion.

Lots of people (including me) have been looking for the "cheap and easy" way for power. It has not appeared yet. All of the above are smattered all over this forum. Unless you can get another engine in good working order for free, when its all said and done i doubt a untried conversion is goign to cost less then the McMark 2056.

Zach
lincoln
yea heheh by trial and error etc i meant ill be ok with the little 1.8 a bit, er was, probly gonna get a dual carb set here shortly, then ill probly feel i need a 2.0 or a 6 myself heheh and should the lotto gods smile on me will probly end up with a raby baby with his turbo tech hes testing now
DJsRepS
Ive seen harleys and crotchrockets with small Blowers running on them. Why cant one of those small blower setups go on a stock 914 motor? Ive seen turbos on them with what looks like painstaking work and money, all that exhaust and cooling piping. But a blower could be driven off the crank mounted over the motor set on an intake box, still use injectors in the runners, or carb it on the blower and then install NOS into the injector ports on the runners. That might do somthing. At least it would still be the right motor for the car. GoGo Blower!
Maltese Falcon
I called the seller and he's local, seems like a knowledgeable 914 guy. If anyone is bidding on this and needs it checked out, PM me and I'll take the tour.
The wheels are cookie cutters and on re-drilled hubs- no 911 susp.
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.