Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SF-Bay Area Breakfast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
SirAndy
QUOTE (Lyressa Roberts @ Jan 25 2006, 08:06 AM)
Are we meeting at the map in the first post?

yes chowtime.gif
Jenny
Brian heard on the radio this am that fremont porsche is offering free car washes to
anyone with a porsche. Might be fun for the 914 club to show up on Saturday and
demand a car wash. I BET you they will say, sorry we meant 911's or they will try
and tell us that they're really volkswagons... laugh.gif

Jen
lapuwali
Looks like the current count is 23...
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jan 25 2006, 09:48 AM)
Might be fun for the 914 club to show up on Saturday and demand a car wash.

haha, that would be funny! biggrin.gif

problem is, using a conventional carwash (drivethrough) would turn all our 914s into rolling aquariums.
icon8.gif
McMark
I'd go, but I wouldn't let them put water on my car. wink.gif
Carl
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 25 2006, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jan 25 2006, 09:48 AM)
Might be fun for the 914 club to show up on Saturday and demand a car wash.

haha, that would be funny! biggrin.gif

problem is, using a conventional carwash (drivethrough) would turn all our 914s into rolling aquariums.
icon8.gif

The plural of aquarium is, of course, aquaria.
scuba.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Carl @ Jan 25 2006, 02:36 PM)
scuba.gif

thanks, always trying to improve my english ... biggrin.gif

i do that stuff all the time, like vertexes instead of vertices ...

exceptions to the rule are hard to learn ...
dry.gif Andy
McMark
Aquaria would not by common english. That would be NERD english. wink.gif lol3.gif

Andy, are you working tonight? wink.gif
Carl

And you're very good at it. My second language is mumbling.

I had to look up the plural of aquarium just to be sure and was led to an interesting web site from the UK http://gimbo.org.uk/archives/2005/02/index.html that had the "The plural of aquarium is, of course, aquaria."
I presume the author is right even though I've never taken Latin.

See you Saturday, young man. rolleyes.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 25 2006, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (Carl @ Jan 25 2006, 02:36 PM)
scuba.gif

i do that stuff all the time, like vertexes instead of vertices ...

exceptions to the rule are hard to learn ...
dry.gif Andy

Except none of these are ENGLISH, they're Latin.

The English plural of aquarium is aquariums, the Latin plural is aquaria.

The English plural of vertex, however, is vertices.
Carl
a·quar·i·um   Audio pronunciation of "aquarium" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-kwâr-m)
n. pl. a·quar·i·ums or a·quar·i·a (--)

1. A tank, bowl, or other water-filled enclosure in which living fish or other aquatic animals and plants are kept.
  2. A place for the public exhibition of live aquatic animals and plants.

I stand corrected although our 914's would have to actually hold water to be aquaria ... uh aquariums ... uh fishbowls.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 25 2006, 04:46 PM)
Andy, are you working tonight?  ;)

yeah, gotta finish up some stuff here ...

i'm late with several projects, oh well, story of my life ... na, na, nana, nana ... story of my life ....
aktion035.gif Andy ( < -- listening to Social Distortion )
Trevorg7
Man - We're all working late.

I got Propellerhead on however....

T
McMark
I'm still working too. Building this damn 2.0 six motor, and watching Brandon primer Trekkor's car. wink.gif

Listening to Brother Ali. wink.gif
Porcharu
I might be in. Depends on how the new baby behaves Friday night. If I can make it, it (is "it, it" correct bloody english?) will be my cars last trip under original power. Engine comes out this weekend.
I used to have several aquariums I don't think I ever had aquaria in my house. rolleyes.gif
MartyYeoman
The weatherman says it's suppost to rain Saturday.
A carwash at the Porsche dealer dosn't sound like a good idea. wink.gif
jimtab
Hey, if they have a carwash and then it rains .....it'll be THEIR fault!!!!!! happy11.gif
JeffBowlsby
I am out this time...see you next time. biggrin.gif
lapuwali
OK. THIS weekend, day after tomorrow...

I'll reserve 25 spots, since it looks like we'll be close to that. Look for the Blue FIAT Rescue Vehicle ™...
Trevorg7
ohmy.gif damit! I thought we weren't going to tell anyone about the fiat rescue!

laugh.gif

my 914 is not smiley_notworthy.gif

T
Brent
I'd love to go, but have the boys this weekend. Separation sucks! Thanks for letting me know Felix! Would love to take my mind of my personal life for a while.
neo914-6
QUOTE (Brent @ Jan 26 2006, 09:52 PM)
I'd love to go, but have the boys this weekend. Separation sucks! Thanks for letting me know Felix! Would love to take my mind of my personal life for a while.

Brent,

Don't the boys eat breakfast? biggrin.gif It was good to see you, sorry it was under these circumstances. Take care of yourself, I'm sure you'll pull through this. I'm speaking from similar experience...

Felix
Brent
Anyone else gonna bring kids. Don't want to be the only one again. The boys love breakfast. Err...or is it lunch?
-Brent
Dave_Darling
Breakfast, at the OPH in Fremont. Felix, you bringing your yung'un?

--DD
neo914-6
I get her up early every morning but I usually let her sleep in on weekends. It all depends if she gets to sleep early enough the night before or she's bribed with something sweet wub.gif laugh.gif
olav

Do they have Swedish Pancakes?

confused24.gif
Jenny

Oh, come off it. rolleyes.gif The swedish pancakes haven't lured you to IHOP in MONTHS. Will you be joining us?

Jen smile.gif
Dave_Darling
They have the "Dutch Baby" pancake!! But it takes a long time to cook... sad.gif It's cool, though--it is baked, and crawls up the sides of the pan forming a bowl shape. You put butter, powdered sugar, and lemon juice on it--yummy!! I can actually make those myself nowadays, but that was one of my ultimate breakfast treats when I was younger.

--DD
olav
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jan 27 2006, 09:10 AM)

Oh, come off it. rolleyes.gif The swedish pancakes haven't lured you to IHOP in MONTHS. Will you be joining us?

Jen smile.gif

I'll make the pilgrimage. smile.gif

I've always had something come up in the past but tomorrow is open.

I'll try a "Dutch Baby" then. Sounds yummy except for the "crawling" part! smile.gif
Jenny
I'm getting a dutch as well. ohmy.gif We make something similar to that at home- an egg souffle. It's Brian's Papa's recipe. Yum!! chowtime.gif

Jen
mightyohm
smiley_notworthy.gif Sweedish [dutch] pancakes...
jimtab
QUOTE (Jenny @ Jan 27 2006, 09:25 AM)
I'm getting a dutch as well.  :o We make something similar to that at home- an egg souffle. It's Brian's Papa's recipe. Yum!! chowtime.gif

Jen

Uh, Jen, I'm pretty sure that ALL souffles have eggs.... unsure.gif See you there, are you gonna bring some Jook for New Years? (Sunday)
MartyYeoman
Jim,
Will Lynn be coming with you?
If so, maybe I can talk Debbie into coming.
Marty
mightyohm
Make me a +1, looks like Kylie is coming too.
jimtab
QUOTE (Marty Yeoman @ Jan 27 2006, 01:53 PM)
Jim,
Will Lynn be coming with you?
If so, maybe I can talk Debbie into coming.
Marty

Yeah, Marty, it looks like she will. See ya there.
Jenny
QUOTE (jimtab @ Jan 27 2006, 01:08 PM)
See you there, are you gonna bring some Jook for New Years? (Sunday)

Jim, you know it's spelled with a G, right? lol2.gif

Okay, I have no idea what a jook is. Just trying to make funny. rolleyes.gif

I'll put chopsticks in my hair in celebration of Chinese New Year.

Jen
mightyohm
user posted image

I don't like jook. barf.gif
plas76targa
Your guys hurt me with this thread. sad.gif I miss those breakfasts and the warmer weather! I just might try to call Leo around 9:14 (12:14 here)

You all have fun with the swedish pancakes laugh.gif !
jonwatts
I'm bringing 8 wheels, 4 tires, 2 rocker panels, and 1 wife.

And if my new debit card isn't in the mailbox outside, no cash (damn thievin' internet bastards).

McMark
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jan 27 2006, 08:20 PM)
I'm bringing 8 wheels, 4 tires, 2 rocker panels, and 1 wife.

And a box of parts for Mark. wink.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (McMark @ Jan 27 2006, 08:26 PM)
And a box of parts for Mark. wink.gif

And a box of parts for Mark.
Porcharu
Dang, I'm out. I just ran out of MIG wire headbang.gif and the car is up on blocks (lots of little blocks on top of blocks) and it's not coming off until the teener dolly is done and I needed another hour or so of wire to get it done. Anyone know of a welding supply that is open on Saturday?
I guess I'll be makin' waffles at home.

smile.gif biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
Be on the lookout for this guy. Our west coast wayward friend, Leo Imperial.

We slightly flared the rear quarters and got new rubber on his 914 today and he's bolting his car tow setup on later tonight. Towing the 914 with his Lymon colored VW van. Air cooled towing air cooled. =-)
Cool.

Sorry but, as a disiplinary tactic, I will not let myself to go to anymore get-togethers until my 914 is on the road again. driving.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (srbliss @ Jan 27 2006, 08:54 PM)
Anyone know of a welding supply that is open on Saturday?

If you're desperate I believe Arc-Gas (San Jose) and Alliance Gas (San Jose and Oakland) are open on Saturdays until 1:00PM. But I would be surprised if you couldn't find something closer to home.
lapuwali
Our space is reserved. The weather is going to be sucky...

Porcharu
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Jan 27 2006, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (srbliss @ Jan 27 2006, 08:54 PM)
Anyone know of a welding supply that is open on Saturday?

If you're desperate I believe Arc-Gas (San Jose) and Alliance Gas (San Jose and Oakland) are open on Saturdays until 1:00PM. But I would be surprised if you couldn't find something closer to home.

Thanks for the ARC gas tip, they are closer to home than my normal place I go to (Praxair) near work.
lapuwali
Quite a successful event. Something over 20 people showed up, and it didn't rain on us. Everyone seemed happy with the new venue, which had plenty of parking, was fairly easy to get to, and the food was good.

I'm sure photos are forthcoming.

Next month: the traditional IHOP in Santa Clara.
jimtab
It was a great get-together, good to see everyone. Nice to have a chance to say goodbye to Leo and Elvis, gonna miss those two. Got a chance to talk to several folks and my "torsion bar tool" is still working and is available for loan if you have trouble with the rear trunk bars. Mister Silker is in current posession... Nice to have a chance to catch up with everyone. And I did get rained on after I got on the west side of the bay. Not too much and only for 15-20 minutes. If you are a member within striking distance of these events and haven't been to one....quit screwing around and get to one....they are a kick.
Midtowner
Well, I showed up but got dissed by the man at the front door. Guess he didn't like my Starbuck's drink. Seriously. That's what he said. They don't allow outside drinks in that place. So, I left. sad.gif
Carl
Hey, Jim! Thanks for the use of the trunk spring bender torsion bar tool thingy. It works like a charm. When I got home nobody was here so it was a perfect time to try it out and set aside a few honey-do's. I applied a bit of caution not wanting to lose fingers or end up staring at the sky like DD when he tried to fix his trunk hinges.

Your tool works great and with a little side pressure from a pry bar, it's not too tough to get the spring in position and replace the roller. Now, instead of a tired trunk lid that's droopy on one side, this thing stands up smartly just like we did when we were teeners. For some of us, that was a while ago.

Thanks again for the use of the tool and I'll get it back to you at the next local event.

The breakfast today was fun and a good sized crowd in attendance. It was also good to make contact with Kim Knutilla, Mike Muller, Stan, Jenny & Brian, Olav & Patricia and Jon & Deanna and get an update on all of the 914 and family happenings.

We really have a good group here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.