Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plug gaps with MSD ignition..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
Hey guys I was wondering if I set my plug gaps correctly when I installed them in my 2.7L six. I think I gapped them .050" but I was reading somewhere that the range I could use is .050" to .060" . I also think I read somewhere that most people running MSD gap theirs to .040" which is a significant differnce it seems. So how would I benifit one way or another if I was to change the gap? Using stock coil and distributor, 6AL box.

Doug C
Aaron Cox
i run a .040 with colder plugs....

with mallory coil....
J P Stein
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 10 2006, 01:07 PM)
Using stock coil and distributor, 6AL box.

Doug C

With a stock coil and more than stock (.028) gap, you risk running out of spark at high rpms.
The stock CIS dizzy doesn't have a good advance curve for carbs.
Just my .02 of course.
Mike D.
I have a 2.0E engine with a 6al, msd blaster coil and a Bosch E dist. My gap is set at .045. I first set them at .050 but it just looked sooo wide. My engine runs a little rich but you would never know by looking at the plugs. That MSD really burns the gas up and keeps the plugs clean.
SLITS
Hotter spark = bigger gap = better flame front (bigger match to lite the mixture).

0.050 should be safe enough (I coulda said 0.048 ya know)

joea9146
I run 40 with MSD and a Blaster Coil
john rogers
With my MSD 6 box, blaster coil and 9mm wires I use .050 with 100 octane unleaded. If I am going to Mexico or an airport circuit where I will be using 100 low lead or 110 leaded I use .055 for a slightly hotter spark along with 2 degrees more advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.