Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun things to do with a tub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Allan
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 14 2006, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Jan 14 2006, 01:24 PM)
I was thinking about the idea of cutting up a tub for a computer gaming console! I mentioned it to my son 14 and he said he would help with the computer screens.
My wife thinks we are nutz.

time to get un-married again. (i'm talking about myself!) ...

the racing sim is a excellent idea, i just *know* the wife will not like it ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

I was reading in the paper today about a system that will let you hook up an XBOX 360 to a 350Z and use the car as the controller.

Only works with the tranny in park. blink.gif
bd1308
wow....

computers talking to computers.....

give it ten years, and computers will be able to spawn....

b
dion9146
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 14 2006, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (dion9146 @ Jan 14 2006, 06:24 AM)

FWIW, cutting up a perfectly good tub should be a crime whether you live on the left coast, right coast, or in the middle of the damn country.

It was exactly this kind of comment that started the last major flame war on this topic. Jon Watts was parting out a car that had been hit hard on the front (trunk wall was wrinkled and the front suspension was all out of whack). He got taken to task severely for parting it out and cutting up the bits, but NO ONE would buy the damned thing whole, they just bitched and jumped up and down about how terrible Jon was.

If you have to get rid of it, and no one will take it off your hands, what are you supposed to do, exactly? Based on past results, if Tony offered the thing for FREE, no one would take it. They'd just whine and bitch and call him names for committing a crime against humanity.

Put up or shut up.

I agree, when you can't give a car away, it's a tough issue and damn shame. Looks like there won't be a choice with this one. Wasn't around for the flame war and don't really give a rats ass. Just expressing my apparently minority opinion. I'll tell you what, I'll buy the tub if you subsidize the shipping. How's that?

And for anyone else who actually would like the car shipped cross country, my sister in law is looking into it (see original post). Her opinion is that Roadway will ship anything that fits on the truck and is safe, but she thinks they will have a concern about it not being crated due to the potential damage from other crates or packages falling on it.

D
GWN7
If Roadways concers are that it's not crated, why not crate it? couple reg pallets with 2 X4's nailed to them to space them apart the right length. Build out the sides of the pallets to the right width. then encase it with more 2 X4's and chipboard for the sides & top. You would need a forklift to load it and unload but it could go on a flatdeck trailer if crated. I'd extimate $200 for the wood & screws...
dlo914
how about putting it into storage for a really low price? dunno any storage places though... dry.gif
brant
Tony,

if it was a roller, I think it would go pretty quick.
Heck I'd take it..

maybe bolt someone elses 4 bolt cast offs onto it.
(more work I know)

brant
dion9146
You're right, anything can be crated, but now you may be introducing a lot of weight to the equation as well.

I've shipped a number of FV engines back and forth to San Diego, and our crating boxes were always built to protect, but at the absolute minimum weight.

I've shipped a tub inside of a Uhaul truck before as well. We just centered it on a regular furniture dolly and pushed it up inside the trunk on the ramp. Easy two person job.

I'll let you all know more tomorrow about Roadway's position.

Dion
dion9146
So maybe I can put the final stake in this thread. According to Roadway; here is how they would ship a tub:

Roadway will ship a car without its guts, but they do it as a service called Sealer Divider. What that means is you buy a specific amount of feet in the nose of the trailer. Load the car with no crating and then Roadway builds a wall so no other freight is loaded in that same area as your freight. That way your freight will NEVER be damaged.

Draw back is the expense. Shipping from Sab Diego, CA to Ohio would be as follows:

Use 7 feet $1236.80
Use 10 feet $1393.26
Use 12 feet $1671.91

If you build your own crate, the added weight will most likely bring the cost up to these levels as well. Maybe other shippers do it differently or have better rates on this stuff, but I wanted to throw this information out there as a reference point.

Dion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.