Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun things to do with a tub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TonyAKAVW
So i can't seem to get rid of my '74 tub. I don't have the room/time to do the full job I wanted to on the tub, so I put it up for sale. No one seems interested, and its in the kind of shape that I don't really want to cut it up and throw it away.

So I need some ideas on what to do with it. Currently, my favorite idea is to turn it into a trailer, which would be nice for WCC type events. Basically cut it in half and use the firewall on back. With no engine or transmission, I can expand the trunk to fill in all those areas. That makes for one really large space to put stuff. If I could fit a set of wheels for autocross/track events that would be perfect.

If anyone else has a second tub and the space to do it, a 914 limo might be a fun project...

So any other ideas?

-Tony

gregrobbins
Try the Biker thing
tat2dphreak
cut the front and rear trunk off, mount a computer in a console, lcd screens in the windshield, mount a momo logitech steering wheel in it, and have an immersive video game station for racing games... driving.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jan 13 2006, 03:49 PM)
cut the front and rear trunk off, mount a computer in a console, lcd screens in the windshield, mount a momo logitech steering wheel in it, and have an immersive video game station for racing games... driving.gif

ohmy.gif thats a great idea! idea.gif
Loser_Cruiser
Hey dont chop it up just yet! I just saw this and i need to talk to my dad he might be interested for that price. We were also think of doing a subaru conversion. If we were able to buy it when would it have to be gone by?

SLITS
Put it on cement blocks in the front yard and grow flowers or tabacco.
bondo
How about a beer cooler?
bondo
Closer:

fiid
OMG That is so wrong.

It ought to be filled with German Beer at least biggrin.gif
grasshopper
hhhmmm, beer + racecar.... sounds like a good combination wacko.gif
TonyAKAVW
If it was gone within 2 weeks or so I'd be happy. Right now its holding up progress on my subaru conversion.

Slits: The planter idea would be a possibility. Would be a good way to test the durability of POR-15 biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, we have no front yard.

spunone
So whats wrong with the roller ?? Could it be RUST??? screwy.gif
twistedstang
How about a baja sawzall-smiley.gif
TonyAKAVW
So whats wrong with the roller ?? Could it be RUST???

No, actually its pretty darn rust free. There's some body work that needs to be done on it. Its mostly that people who need rollers are far away and shipping is too expensive. I've put in a ton of hours into this thing, but I just don't have the room for two 914s, let alone the time to do a full restoration AND keep my 1.7 daily driver running. So I'm consolidating down to one..

Here's the interior stripped to metal before POR-15

-Tony
Howard
This lasted longer than I expected.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Howard @ Jan 13 2006, 05:10 PM)
This lasted longer than I expected.

he said "fun things to do WITH a tub" not "IN a tub" ... biggrin.gif

i second the Limo idea! i've got the blueprints, let me know if you're interested ...
smash.gif Andy

user posted image
markb
I'd love to have it, but don't have a way to get it up here in time. I do have a 914 in 3 pieces, if you want something to play with making a trailer from. I thought of welding the front & rear trunks together, and making a double ended trailer. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Somebody's gotta do a Limo... why not you?
Eric_Shea
Or... race trailer.

Use the roll bar as a tire rack
SirAndy
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jan 13 2006, 05:18 PM)
Or... race trailer.

jason (silverbullet) started on his, but i'm not sure how far he got ...

stock trailing arms and wheels, the rest gutted and the trunk floor lowered.
engine bay and trunk are just one large space.
deck lid was supposed to be lengthend to include the engine lid area as well.

haven't seen his project in a while ...
dry.gif Andy
TonyAKAVW
I would love to do a limo. Unfortunately, I have a tiny one-car garage and before I start another project, I need to get my Subaru conversion done.

By the way, this roller would be perfect for a Subaru conversion. I've removed the engine tin surround and cleaned up the engine bay for it. Up until a couple weeks ago I had my EJ25 mounted in it.

So if someone is SERIOUSLY interested in doing a Limo, I would donate this to the project. A limo could definitely take advantage of a non-stock powerplant...

Otherwise a race trailer sounds like a pretty good idea... Of course since I am doing a Subaru conversion I won't be able to race anyway flipa.gif

-Tony
Spoke
I'd love to take the tub off of your hands but the shipping companies require a car to be steerable, have brakes, and inflated tires. I think you mentioned these items were removed.

Spoke
Eric_Shea
Spoke gets my vote smilie_pokal.gif
lapuwali
Not necessarily. The guy that came by to pick up a Mini from me had a Subaru on the trailer that had a broken front strut with the wheel tucked under the car. They put it on the trailer with a forklift.

The people who live too far away and say shipping is too expensive need to look into the time and money it costs to get a rusty tub reasonably rust free. $1500 to transport it across the country is nothing by comparison.
SirAndy
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 13 2006, 05:39 PM)
The people who live too far away and say shipping is too expensive need to look into the time and money it costs to get a rusty tub reasonably rust free. $1500 to transport it across the country is nothing by comparison.

agree.gif

here we go again ...

this is to all the people that always bitch about the CA guys cutting up perfectly good tubs ... flipa.gif

here's your chance to get a already stripped, rust free tub.
what the FFFF are you waiting for ???
confused24.gif

it won't get any better than this. even with the cost of shipping you'll still be miles (redshift?) ahead.

wacko.gif Andy
TonyAKAVW
I'd love to take the tub off of your hands but the shipping companies require a car to be steerable, have brakes, and inflated tires. I think you mentioned these items were removed.

See, the problem I have with making this car into a roller versus a tub is that currently it has a carerra front suspension and 5 lug rear setup. I'm planning on swapping that setup out with the 4 lug setup on my daily driver. Unfortunately I still have a lot of work to do before I get to that point, including building up a set of Eric's V-calipers for the rear, and getting the axles and CVs put together etc. This would require me to leave my daily driver in the driveway for a while as I swap parts. Something my wife would not appreciate much.

So thats why its going as a tub.

However I'm liking this race trailer idea. But that is yet another project which will slow down the Subaru conversion. Damn I need some storage space mad.gif

-Tony
TonyAKAVW
here's your chance to get a already stripped, rust free tub.

Not only is it stripped... I also removed one of the front fenders which was damaged and have a really nice, basically perfect replacement fender in place, riveted on for the time being. One of the rear fenders also had damage so I acquired and cleaned up a rear section. Its a project tub for sure, but i've spent a lot of hours on this. The whole inteior was stripped down to bare metal and carefully POR-15d, the engine bay has been POR-15'd and so have both trunks. I also did the same to the fuel tank cavity.

Living in an apartment I've had to do a lot of this with hand tools. It sucks that I have to sell this thing. I suppose I'd rather see it used as a 914 than turn it into a trailer, but the racing trailer idea sounds cool, and woudl get lots of double-takes on the freeway.

-Tony
Howard
Tony, just left a voicemail for you.
STL914
Two years ago for a local PCA function, the club hired a guy to do BBQ for us. His cooker was built into a 75 914.
Front trunk as where he fed the wood for the fire, cooker box was in the driver's compartment and he has the smoke from the cooker coming out of the tail pipe.

Oh, I had the only other 914 there, and his car looked better than mine.
KaptKaos
PMed ya Tony
Aaron Cox
tony

i have a flared roller id donate to the limo project!
Spoke
I seem to have struck a nerve with my shipping comments. Sorry. The person that I talked to said they would not transport a tub. I asked about transporting a tub specifically for this unit. I guess other companies do transport tubs.

I'm not all over this tub since I'm still exploring my options for a new vehicle.

Spoke
brant
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 13 2006, 06:21 PM)
Or... race trailer.

dry.gif Andy

There already is a rolling race trailer in N.M. done.
the race tires all store against the firewall on the remaining floorpan.

The owner wants to paint it to match his car, and made me promise not to post the picture of it until he got it repainted.

brant
neo914-6
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 13 2006, 05:21 PM)
Or... race trailer.

dry.gif Andy

still hangin from the rafters... laugh.gif

anyone put a trailer hitch on a 914? idea.gif

Tony, dam that tub is worth all that time you put into it. clap.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 13 2006, 11:30 PM)
anyone put a trailer hitch on a 914?

long before you were born ... happy11.gif

user posted image
neo914-6
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 13 2006, 11:36 PM)

user posted image

Thanks Andy, sometimes I "think" young. rolleyes.gif

So smarty pants how did they attach it? And don't say "very carefully"... laugh.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (neo914-6 @ Jan 14 2006, 12:34 AM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 13 2006, 11:36 PM)

user posted image

Thanks Andy, sometimes I "think" young. rolleyes.gif

So smarty pants how did they attach it? And don't say "very carefully"... laugh.gif

with magic young one lol2.gif
dion9146
QUOTE (Spoke @ Jan 13 2006, 10:25 PM)
I seem to have struck a nerve with my shipping comments. Sorry. The person that I talked to said they would not transport a tub. I asked about transporting a tub specifically for this unit. I guess other companies do transport tubs.

I'm not all over this tub since I'm still exploring my options for a new vehicle.

Spoke

I have to agree with you there Spoke, we may be East Coast complainers, but from our viewpoint, we still have the same problem. And yes, if you look hard enough you can find a good tub over this way for less than this car + shipping.

Another option is to contact a non-auto transport company. The last tub I sold was rolled up into the back of a 24 ft Uhaul truck on a furniture dolly. A freight company may be willing to do something similar. I'll check with my Sis-in-Law. She's a big wig at Roadway.

FWIW, cutting up a perfectly good tub should be a crime whether you live on the left coast, right coast, or in the middle of the damn country.

D
d914
make a chassis mover so it rolls, still probably an issue withe the shippers???
STL914
QUOTE (d914 @ Jan 14 2006, 06:33 AM)
make a chassis mover so it rolls, still probably an issue withe the shippers???

Hey Greg, I like that chassis roller you built. Can you furnish a few details; caster size and weight capacity, overall width and length of the roller. Do I see three 2x4's on each end? Do the cross bars go side to side or front to rear?
KaptKaos
Not that I want you to do this, but are you thinking something like this?

(edit: farking tripod don't allow pic linking)

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Jan 14 2006, 09:47 AM)

user posted image

sucky pic attachment for an IT guy....
KaptKaos
Here it is:
Allan
Wouldn't Jes like to have a teener?
KaptKaos
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 14 2006, 08:48 AM)

user posted image

pissoff.gif pissoff.gif pissoff.gif pissoff.gif

Besides, I thought you liked X1/9s.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (KaptKaos @ Jan 14 2006, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 14 2006, 08:48 AM)

user posted image

pissoff.gif pissoff.gif pissoff.gif pissoff.gif

Besides, I thought you liked X1/9s.

owned.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (dion9146 @ Jan 14 2006, 06:24 AM)

FWIW, cutting up a perfectly good tub should be a crime whether you live on the left coast, right coast, or in the middle of the damn country.

It was exactly this kind of comment that started the last major flame war on this topic. Jon Watts was parting out a car that had been hit hard on the front (trunk wall was wrinkled and the front suspension was all out of whack). He got taken to task severely for parting it out and cutting up the bits, but NO ONE would buy the damned thing whole, they just bitched and jumped up and down about how terrible Jon was.

If you have to get rid of it, and no one will take it off your hands, what are you supposed to do, exactly? Based on past results, if Tony offered the thing for FREE, no one would take it. They'd just whine and bitch and call him names for committing a crime against humanity.

Put up or shut up.

TonyAKAVW
Wouldn't Jes like to have a teener?

Yes, she'd love to have a pink one. Problem is space really. If I had a garage big enough for both vehicles I could keep two projects. Unfortunately, I've just decided that in order to do both, I need more space, more time, and more money than I'm able to put into it at this point. So maybe someday down the road I'll start another project. For now though I've got literally several pages worth of tasks to complete on the remaining project.

-Tony
Brotherbob
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jan 13 2006, 03:49 PM)

I was thinking about the idea of cutting up a tub for a computer gaming console! I mentioned it to my son 14 and he said he would help with the computer screens.
My wife thinks we are nutz.
MMMMMMmmmm, I like the sawsall too. RUSTY tub in backyard look out here we come! sawzall-smiley.gif WTF.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brotherbob @ Jan 14 2006, 01:24 PM)
I was thinking about the idea of cutting up a tub for a computer gaming console! I mentioned it to my son 14 and he said he would help with the computer screens.
My wife thinks we are nutz.

time to get un-married again. (i'm talking about myself!) ...

the racing sim is a excellent idea, i just *know* the wife will not like it ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.