Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back In The Saddle Again!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
william harris
OK, when last we joined the noble effort, the windshield install was at hand. After some research I decided against the butyl tape install and called on the professionals. Had a bitch of a time finding somebody willing to put the glass in (without selling me the glass) but thanks to J. N. Phillips Glass of Danvers, MA the glass is back in the car for the first time in more than 2 years. Here are a couple of pictures.
william harris
All of the chrome around the windshield had been painted yellow with the previous piss poor repaint, so it was hours with 000 steel wool to clean and polish them up. It all came out damn good I think. This weekend I start finishing the interior. Also, got on the phone today to Strasse in CA and got all the parts Chris Foley needs to finish the engine build. The son of a bitch is gonna be a running car again real soon. welder.gif
william harris
Today it was about 70 in friggin' MA so I have really got my blood moving to finish this car and park the Boxster S for a while. piratenanner.gif
william harris
I was determined to reuse every part that came off the car that could be reconditioned and made to work. It is only slightly customized and should be a sleeper with the rebuilt motor and Chris' Evo header system. I hope Brad Roberts checks out this thread, he got me started on the restoration more than 2 years ago. driving.gif
william harris
I for one think the 914 is a beautiful car from almost every angle. I especially like this view. shocked[1].gif
william harris
Well, you guys are probably tired of these restoration threads, but at least it keeps the part suppliers in business. aktion035.gif
william harris
Last one for today. Many more to follow this weekend. beerchug.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
INSPIRING, BE-OOT-I-FUL, FANTASTIC. clap56.gif You've got a car to keep for a lifetime. Thanks for all the shared Kodak moments!
r_towle
Back to the garage...enough time off!!!

William, I need a good source for window rubber..
Please PM me.

Rich
ChrisFoley
I got something else from Strasse today, almost didn't get it though. It was shipped to my old address and today the only reason I went there was to finish cleaning up. I had to chase down the UPS driver after he left a note on my door. Anything more you have to send me use the new address: 101 Loomis St.
guywan914
Geez that sounds wierd 101 Loomis St. That was my old address.
william harris
I was thrilled today when I got up and it was raining buckets!!! That meant Eric Sanders kids would not be playing little league and he could come over and work on the teener. First project - reinstall instruments. Eric showed up with a full color wiring schematic printed out on heavy stock and enlarged to poster size. Man did he know his stuff. beerchug.gif
william harris
Then I asked him to help me adjust the rear posts for the new roof I purchased off a local guy for $50.00. This would make the car weather tight for the first time in years. Rolled her outside for these pictures.
william harris
Eric and I stood there for a few minutes admiring the project, and Eric leaned over and said "That car is crying out for the motor." Chris Foley - are you listening? That car is crying out for the motor!!! welder.gif
william harris
We are soooo close now. I am planning a video for firing up the motor. Got to be driving this car in a few weeks. Only got to rejoin the body with the drive train. driving.gif
william harris
The teener comes out of the garage for the summer and the Boxster S goes in for a rest!!! aktion035.gif
william harris
We are at 2 years and counting since I start taking this thing apart. I am literally preparing the punch list to completion. Sometimes you wonder if you are ever going to finish. Then, suddenly it is almost done. piratenanner.gif
william harris
As far as the body is concerned, the only thing left is the vinyl for the targa bar and trim. The vinyl was supplied by our friends at Camp 914.
william harris
She sits up high in the back waiting for that 2.0 motor back. Chris, are you looking at these pictures??? What is missing??? That Evo exhaust sticking out the rear and the connection to the go pedal!!! welder.gif
william harris
Final one for now. Eric, thanks man. Guys, Eric and I are planning a trip out west, CO and maybe beyond, next summer. That will be a whole new thread, the cars unleashed. burnout.gif
william harris
Almost there. The engine is back in the car (the 2.2 based on the original 2.0) for the first time in more than who knows how long. PO had removed 2.0 due to supposed "spun bearing" and replaced with 1.7 (donor for parts for Eric Sanders rebuild). So here is what it looked like this afternoon. boldblue.gif
william harris
That Chris Foley Evo header system is a thing of beauty. Can't wait to fire it up and hear it roar. Had to work a little with the fit to get the exhaust lined up with the stock lower piece. Another view. Chris, WOW! welder.gif
william harris
Last one for today. Got a case going to trial Wednesday, so I got to get back to work. beerchug.gif
Brando
Is that a lift in your garage? blink.gif drooley.gif
william harris
I wish! Autobahn Performance in Peabody, MA. Richard Anzalone is the 914 guru (still owns the one he got in the 1980s) and he is checking and correcting all the goofups I did on reassembly of the body, electrical, brakes, etc. etc. and getting this baby ready to burnout.gif
maf914
The car is looking great, William. smilie_pokal.gif

It looks like you might want to put a fire proof sleeve on the cables routed under the header pipes. Stock or SS double wall heat exchangers will melt the plastic jacket off a cable, so I'm sure the header will do it even more efficiently. Just a suggestion.
william harris
That sounds like a very good idea. I will see what kind of shield we can come up with.
Brad Roberts
WOW. It has come a long way. Congrats William!!

The only thing I see that you will fight as time goes on: the dash material. It is cut too short and will shrink even more with time/heat. I'm referencing the basket weave material on the dash face.

Everything else looks in order!

It is going to be a thumber for sure!

B
william harris
Well at least that is a fairly easy fix. The upholstery guy (very limited english speaking, i.e. almost none, screwed that up twice. First time cut holes where there are no controls - even after I taped them over and explained to him not to cut them. The second time is as you see it. I probably will just do it myself the next time. biggrin.gif But this ain't no concours queen - I just want to drive the hell out of it. driving.gif
ChrisFoley
It looks awesome William!
I'm looking forward to getting a ride.
william harris
I'm sure that can be arranged. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.