Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back In The Saddle Again!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
william harris
Ran into Eric Sanders at the local unveiling of the Cayman. We decided to go back to my garage and start work on the 914 again. Got the engine lid on and then I started back with the dash. Well, only had an hour or so, but at least we are back in the saddle again. Eric is going to drop his engine soon and then his car goes on the rotissiere. Stay tuned for more.
william harris
Here's what makes working in the garage possible. 100,000 btu heater. Fire it up for 10 minutes and I can work in the garage for over an hour. About 20 degrees outside tonight.
william harris
These are my mildly custom insignia. I like the way the gold came out.
william harris
Wells there no more Pats football to watch, so this will definitely be my weekend entertainment for the next several months.
william harris
Another toy waiting for better weather. Will take a better picture and post later. BMWR1150R.
Rleog
Welcome back! I was wondering what happened to the Lapis Blue.
r_towle
About F-in time.

I will bring the heater ducting expert over next weekend...sunday if that works.

Rich
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (Rleog @ Jan 15 2006, 06:17 PM)
Welcome back! I was wondering what happened to the Lapis Blue.

Yay! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I was thinking as I was looking at the first pic... "my that color looks familiar!!!"

william harris
Hi Rich: yeah man, bring that expert over. I would love to get the stuff under the cowl buttoned up. Wiper motor first, I think and then the fresh air box and duct work. Would love to drop the fuel tank in and get the hood back on.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (william harris @ Jan 15 2006, 07:19 PM)
then the fresh air box and duct work

That's one part of the re-assembly process I HATE!!! No wonder you've been putting it off. I don't care how many times I do those damn air diverters and fresh air box, it's a PITA!!! Good luck and my condolences William!

LOVE THAT COLOR wub.gif
william harris
You are so right Perry, I am not looking forward to it. Any tips or tricks?
william harris
OK, got to keep going. Nice day, got a couple of hours, so back into the interior. cool_shades.gif
r_towle
My "heater expert" decided to go out with his woman..and I lost my steering rack on the volvo...so I was getting that back together so I can drive today...

I tried to get it done last night, but I needed a part so, I had to wait till today...

I will come up next sunday. Kid or no kid, I'll get it in for ya.

Have heat and coffee and we will get it done.

Rich
william harris
OK, Rich - I'm saving those PITA pieces for your expert. wink.gif
william harris
Took the car out into the driveway and cleaned the accumulated dust off. rolleyes.gif
william harris
Rich - next things are the wiper motor and fresh air box and those damn vents into the dash. Man I hate those things. wacko.gif
william harris
I really like the way the Lapais Blue looks with the gold letters and gold insignia.
william harris
I am still looking for a glass guy who will come to my house and put the glass in. If you know of someone local let me know. Giant Glass and J.N. Phillips won't come to the house. mad.gif
r_towle
Triumph Glass did mine..great job, not problems...

Do you have any time during the week, or are you limited to weekends??

Rich
URY914
I know what you mean. I about died working my garage today.
It must have been 80 degrees!!!! laugh.gif

Looks good beer.gif
MJHanna
Glad to see it back on track. biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jan 22 2006, 07:07 PM)

It must have been 80 degrees!!!!  :lol:

we'll be laughin' in august, sunshine boy! wink.gif

or rather, i won't be laughin' at all, i don't have a garage. so i guess i have a narrow window to put my engine in: mid - april to mid - october.
william harris
More pictures from this weekend. cool.gif
william harris
Another
william harris
Over the summer I replaced the 2000 Boxster with a 2003 Boxster S. 18 inch Turbo look wheels, flared rocker panels, Xenon lights, sport seats, aluminum package, etc. A major improvement over the Boxster. biggrin.gif
william harris
Another view. cool_shades.gif
william harris
Here's a better view of my Christmas present to myself. BMWR1150R What a great bike.
william harris
Another view of the bike. Anyone seen Long Way Round? Great round the world story on a motorcycle. 20,000 miles in 115 days. beer.gif
r_towle
William

PM me your address tonight if you want me to come out Sunday...

I called your house...no answer...

Rich
william harris
Well Richard Towle helped me get the fresh air box in. Eric Sanders was also over the help put in the wiper motor. Major progress. beer.gif
william harris
Richard Towle knew all the tricks to getting the fresh air box and control boxes in. Especially the clips - use needle nose pliers and sqeeze them on. Oh, and Eric found that I routed the cable the wrong way - even tho' I had pictures showing the right way - I screwed it up!!! biggrin.gif
william harris
So here is where we left it today - Rich and I both skipped work to play on the 914. Thanks Rich!!! smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
Another view - these parts have not been in the car in over 2 years!! clap56.gif
william harris
Last one for now. Next project - have the tank flushed and cleaned and reinstall tank and then put the hood back on.!!! boldblue.gif
william harris
In today's installment, the master cylinder, gas tank and hood have rejoined the car. Thanks to Rich, Eric and his brother John. beer.gif
william harris
All I have to do next is to hook up the fuel hoses to the bottom of the tank and I can reinstall the gravel shield. The front of the car is done!!!
william harris
Since I couldn't find a glass company willing to come to my house and install my old glass (they would be happy to do it if I purchased the new glass from them) Rich Towle has again offered to come over and put the glass in with me. Need to start cleaning up the chrome trim. Where is that steel wool?
william harris
Had to screw around a little with the hood release cable and latch to line them up and finally got a hood closure that I was happy with. wub.gif
william harris
Pulling those damn hood springs on is a real bitch. Only managed the first notch. When Eric or Rich come over will get their help to move to second notch for better hood lift.
william harris
That's all for today, got to go pack. I'm off to Phoenix for three days. I can't wait to get away from this snow and bitter cold.
rhodyguy
i hope you take lots of pictures and write up a good windshield install tech article. placement of clips, spacers, etc. you're not that far out now. smilie_pokal.gif

k
william harris
Will do. Clips are already in. Will take a close up for you. beer.gif
rhodyguy
for the springs, get a few coat hangers that are the type twisted near the hook end and one of these. slip one end of the hanger over the hooked end of the spring and you can extend it enough to catch the next catch point. the wire usually winds up behind the spring. just cut it to get it off and use another hanger for the other side.

k
r_towle
aktion035.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif beer3.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif jsharp.gif

hope that made sense William...

Rich
r_towle
wavey.gif
r_towle
icon_bump.gif
william harris
Rich: Well, I won't make it for PA, but your phone call got me back in the garage. Trying to finish off the interior and will call Racer Chris tomorrow for a status report. Does anybody know if he has moved already? welder.gif
r_towle
The Evil plan worked...he washed it,,he looked at it...he feels sorry for it.....now finish it up!!!!

Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(william harris @ Apr 17 2006, 08:29 PM) *

... call Racer Chris tomorrow for a status report. Does anybody know if he has moved already? welder.gif
I haven't received anything from Jake yet. I spoke with him a while back, and sent him the list of pieces required.
I'm moving around Memorial Day.
william harris
Damn Chris: don't say anything bad about that Marine. Jake, if you are tuning in, please send Chris the stuff he needs to finish the motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.