Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ventilator01
I was looking under my 914 tonight and noticed the fan cover is not on like it should be there is probaly a one inch gap between the where they should connect together, there is not any bolts or screws underneath either where it looks like they should screw together. Im gonna get under in the morning and see if I can get it back together, on the top ( looking in the engine compartment) it appears to be together. Just wanted to ask for any advice that I might need. Will look thru the haynes manual tonight and see if I can find any photos of how it should be.
thx
steve
Twystd1
icon_bump.gif

Twystd1 biggrin.gif
bd1308
can you take a picture of what it looks like now?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

type47
are you talking about the fan housing? that bolts to the case with 4 bolts located behind the fan. if that's your case, i think you have to drop the engine to get to those studs and nuts! but i don't think the fan would turn freely without hitting the housing with the housing loose. need pix...
ventilator01
First is this a good place to put jack stands, have one like this on each side. Fixing the fan cover may be self explained once I get under there.
ventilator01
from drivers side
ventilator01
from pass side
ventilator01
Looks like I actually have to attach this from the top side. It appears someone took it apart, lost the screws and just shoved it back in there.
Allan
That's just the front sheet metal. Maybe someone took it apart to replace the alternator? Don't need to drop the motor to button it back up.
SLITS
That is part of the "engine tin". There is one screw that holds it together and you can see the holes. It is split like that for access to the alternatior when changing it.

Should be two screw up top near the alt access plug.

It is two pieces...one short one on the driver's side.

Worst case senerio is dirt up into the fan and the loose edge of the tin cutting your alterntor belt.
SGB
OK-
thats not so difficult. It is the cooling tin that has been left unnattached, probably because it does take a bit of wiggling and manipulating to get it into place. You will need either the "cheese-head" screws like are used to put together the rest of the cooling sheet metal, or you can get 10mm machine screws (which I prefer 'cause you can use a sockets). You may have to loosen or temporarily remove some other portions of this sheet metal to get everything back in right
ventilator01
OK think I got it, going to get some screws now, cant get one out at top, but i think if I get the rest done will be ok. So I dont have to take this back off when I replace the belt?
SLITS
QUOTE (ventilator01 @ Jan 16 2006, 09:36 AM)
OK think I got it, going to get some screws now, cant get one out at top, but i think if I get the rest done will be ok. So I dont have to take this back off when I replace the belt?

Nope............

And for those wonderful cheesehead screws...go to Harbor Freight Tools and buy one of the impact (smack with a hammer) screwdrivers....cheap and most of the time it will bust 'em loose...

Then replace everything with hex head machine screws.
rhodyguy
rotate your pictures 90*. my neck hurts.

k
ventilator01
Been at it 5 hours, I know why they left it undone! It does not want to fit.
maf914
A little OT, but it looks like the rubber boot which covers the shift rod universal joint has come away from the fire wall. You may want to clean up the universal joint, spray it with a silicone lube, and work the boot back into position. It fits over a raised collar on the engine firewall. Just an idea... idea.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 16 2006, 08:19 AM)
That is part of the "engine tin". There is one screw that holds it together and you can see the holes. It is split like that for access to the alternatior when changing it.

Should be two screw up top near the alt access plug.

It is two pieces...one short one on the driver's side.

Worst case senerio is dirt up into the fan and the loose edge of the tin cutting your alterntor belt.

There are FOUR screws holding that piece in place, not one. The Cap'n
ventilator01
A little OT, but it looks like the rubber boot which covers the shift rod universal joint has come away from the fire wall. You may want to clean up the universal joint, spray it with a silicone lube, and work the boot back into position. It fits over a raised collar on the engine firewall. Just an idea...  

Will do next time I jack it back up, Im sure it will be soon.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ventilator01 @ Jan 16 2006, 10:32 AM)
First is this a good place to put jack stands, have one like this on each side. Fixing the fan cover may be self explained once I get under there.

ohmy.gif not if I'm getting under it... use the donuts, if they are intact, engine bar, if not...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.