Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can anyone ID this front bar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
Starting to work on my latest project, a neglected but sound six I got on Ebay. No apparent rust but has AC which made for a couple of holes in the sheet metal.
Has an aftermarket front bar. I am only familiar with factory bars. The drop links are separated but do not appear broken. Looks like they use some sort of turn buckle device which is missing. Where can I get the missing pieces? Or should I just pull it and start over?
Porsche Rescue
Forgot the pics.
Porsche Rescue
Another pic of the mystery bar
Porsche Rescue
and another
Steve
It looks like my 22mm Weltmeister sway bar minus the circlips.

Steve
ChrisFoley
Its a Weltmeister. Originally there was a piece of threaded hex bar stock connecting the rod ends. Either PP might have the parts you need.
Steve
I have the same setup.
The standard kit comes with a fixed bottom.
Yours is the optional adjustable drop link kit.
Performance Products sells the kit for $109.98
The part number is 909970 in there 914 catalog.
Pelican also sells the kit.
The part number is DL-800
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...suspen_main.htm
I also upgraded mine to the adjustable drop link kit.
I have the old non adjustable drop link if you want it.
You cannot mix the parts.
The diference between the two is you can just twist the barrel (the part your missing)
versus removing the drop link to adjust it.
Check out the pelican link and you can compare the parts and look at the pictures.

Steve
Steve
Here's a link to the PP site with a picture of the regular drop link.
http://performanceproducts.com/ProductPage...&producttype=20

Steve
Brad Roberts
Can you shoot pics of the AC ??

Did Howard buy your 1.7 car ??

B
Porsche Rescue
Steve, thanks. This car will never see a track so I think the standard links would work fine. Not ready to spend $100 plus for adjustable type.

Brad, I am removing the AC. Probably hasn't seen Freon in 20 years. I can shoot the compressor and under dash unit. Compressor is mounted behind the driver and required a notch (well done) in the firewall. Condenser is in trunk with an oil cooler on top! Hole in floor is only about 6"x14" so I can't imagine how the oil cooler gets much air when it has to travel through the AC radiator first! I'll post some shots later today.
airsix
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Aug 29 2003, 07:12 AM)
Steve, thanks. This car will never see a track so I think the standard links would work fine. Not ready to spend $100 plus for adjustable type.

Have your friendly local machinist cut and tap two pieces of rod for you. Add 4 jam nuts and you're good to go. I bet it wouldn't cost $20.
-Ben M.
Porsche Rescue
Brad, I did not hear from someone named Howard.
I have a deposit on the car from a woman living in Maine (see thread "Fair Price"). She bought a new '71 and kept it until '83 and now wants another. She is near my age (no social security checks yet, but I can see 'em from here) and plans to drive it home 3400 miles! Club members have offered to help out if problems occur. If things go as planned she will be in Oregon on the 9th. I am looking forward to meeting her. I thought I was pretty daring when I drove it 2400 miles to bring it home.
Steve
I think they sell the barrel nut or barrel tube at Home Depot.
You could try taking one end off and bring it to Home Depot for fitting.
Otherwise if your going to the German Auto Fest I will be there on Sunday.
I can bring the fixed parts with me.
Let me know.

Steve
Porsche Rescue
Steve, I found barrel nuts at local ACE Hardware but they were right hand thread on both ends. I will need left/right, correct?
I will be in Ventura Sat. and Sun., probably leave early afternoon Sunday.
Pnambic
QUOTE(jim9146 @ Aug 29 2003, 10:12 AM)
Brad, I am removing the AC. Probably hasn't seen Freon in 20 years. I can shoot the compressor and under dash unit. Compressor is mounted behind the driver and required a notch (well done) in the firewall. Condenser is in trunk with an oil cooler on top! Hole in floor is only about 6"x14" so I can't imagine how the oil cooler gets much air when it has to travel through the AC radiator first! I'll post some shots later today.

I'm not sure how effective it would be, but running cool air over the oil cooler isn't the only way to cool the oil. The AC condenser can get pretty cold. It could transfer the lower temps to the oil cooler by direct contact. Though I would imagine that the oil cooler would warm the AC condenser more than the condenser would cool the oil cooler. After getting the car up to operating temp, I bet the air coming through the vents wouldn't be all that cold anymore.

confused24.gif

Anyone else try it? It certainly sounds original. huh.gif
MarkV
The A/C condensor doesn't get cold. The condensor is the part that removes the heat, it gets hot. The evaporator is the part that gets cold, it is mounted inside the car.
Steve
Your right about the threads.
Call me on my cell phone before or during the fest.
949-637-5645
I will try to show up by 9am.
It's a two hour drive from Laguna Niguel.
I'm also curious about the 914-6 air conditioner.
Did they use the stock air conditioning pulley on the crank?
Did they modify the compressor brackets in anyway or is it stock?
I have a Euro 3.2 in my 914 with the Richard Johnson mount.
My Richard Johnson mount is using a 911 modified cross bar that was used in a non airconditioned 911.
So the air conditioning pulley won't fit.
Let alone the firewall mods....

Steve
Pnambic
The A/C condensor doesn't get cold. The condensor is the part that removes the heat, it gets hot. The evaporator is the part that gets cold, it is mounted inside the car.

yeah...ummm...I knew that. OOPS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.