Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted: local D-Jet owner to test new product
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Currently D-Jet owners are limited to using the stock distributor which besides being 30 years old, does not have an easy method of changing the timing curve for those that want to optimize thier ignition.

For those that have been on the board for a while, I made an optical circuit that fit inside an aftermarket Mallory billet distributor (I'm sure it's work just as well in a billet MSD distributor)

Our (Fiid and I) new design has no moving parts, just 1 wire to the coil with the other 3 wires pluging into the factory engine harness to bypass the mechanical points inside the D-Jet distributor.

Ideally for testing purposes keeping the stock distributor with the trigger points intact would be a good idea in case a problem did occur with the prototype unit and you could just unplug our modual and hookup the factory connectors easily.

DanT
Would my totally stock EFI and distributor in my 1974 2.0L Track/AX car work? smile.gif
SLITS
Ok Jake Mike, how much do we have to pay to test it?
Mueller
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jan 16 2006, 02:12 PM)
Ok Jake Mike, how much do we have to pay to test it?

nada, no cost at all biggrin.gif

depending on the year and model, I'll even give you an ECU to use if you are uneasy about using your own ECU.....
jimkelly
I'm ignorant : )

Are you looking for carbed engines or stock EFI engines?

What is the model of the mallory distributor you are using? I assume there is a model for each engine size and year? Ballpark price for mallory distributor is? Ballpark price for your module will be?

Thanks,

Jim
Mueller
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jan 16 2006, 04:44 PM)
I'm ignorant : )

Are you looking for carbed engines or stock EFI engines?

What is the model of the mallory distributor you are using? I assume there is a model for each engine size and year? Ballpark price for mallory distributor is? Ballpark price for your module will be?

Thanks,

Jim

D-Jet equipped motor......carbs do not need a "trigger" for the injectors smile.gif

all of the /4's can use the same Mallory or MSD distributor....the advantage of a new distributor (besides it being new with 0 miles) is that the advance curve can be set up to better suit the engine

$275 for the Mallory*, not sure how much the MSD is.

we expect the module to be about $30 or less

DanT
So what exactly would be involved with this testing? huh.gif

How long would it last, and what could be expected?

At the end of testing what happens to the test mule dizzy?

smile.gif
Mueller
So what exactly would be involved with this testing?  

unplug the 3 pin connector going to the stock distributor, plug the module into the engine harness and connect one wire to the - side of the coil

How long would it last, and what could be expected?

should last the life of the vehicle or even longer, it's just a bunch of discrete semiconductors and passive components thrown together in the correct orientation....for a stock distributor, I see no real improvment over a perfect set of mechanical points....if using an aftermarket distributor, this module is one of the only a few methods (both designed by me) for keeping the stock D-Jet fuel injection

At the end of testing what happens to the test mule dizzy?

well, this can be used with the stock distributor or an aftermarket distributor....for testing, no replacement distributor supplied by me smash.gif

for a stock distributor, about the only reason to use the new module is to eliminate the mechanical points which cost approx. $95 new.

DanT
Mike,

As to "how long it will last" I was referring to the length of the testing period.

Is this item something you plan on providing to members if it works according to plan?

Will the "testor" be entitled to the first ones off the line when production commences? wink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jan 16 2006, 05:52 PM)
Mike,

As to "how long it will last" I was referring to the length of the testing period.

Is this item something you plan on providing to members if it works according to plan?

Will the "testor" be entitled to the first ones off the line when production commences? wink.gif

sorry...the test person will get to keep, sell or throw away the unit if they wish to sawzall-smiley.gif

yes, these will be available to members here as well as there might be a small market for the Mercedes and Volvo people as well as Type III guys I think .....

I don't see a huge market at all, but a few extra bucks for gas money would be nice......

gotta hit the road, feel free to call me on my cell if you want...

510.484.8700 Mike
DanT
Thanks Mike,

I'LL give you a call in a day or two.

Or drop me a PM smile.gif
mikerose
cool_shades.gif Hi Mike biggrin.gif

cool_shades.gif Need I say more........
r_towle
If you need cold weather testing...let me know...
1.7, stock djet.
Rich
Mueller
QUOTE (mikerose @ Jan 17 2006, 08:30 AM)
cool_shades.gif Hi Mike biggrin.gif

cool_shades.gif Need I say more........

and you are close enough to use my AAA, hahahhaha

thanks all, we have a few brave souls lined up.....now to harrass Fiid and get him to finish abusing the module on the test bench
mikerose
Well hell if I need a car you have that old 911 I can use HaHahaaaaaa

Mike cool_shades.gif
Howard
If I'm local enough, send me one. Stock 2.0 FI.
Gint
I'm not local. wacko.gif Thank god.

But if you need a mule... I've done 3 dizzy swaps today already. Trying to find one good unit to use as a spare so I can install a Pertronix (got it for free) in the dizzy that eats points rubbing blocks.

Anywho... I'm tired of these old beater Bosch dizzys that we have to keep if'n we want to retain the D-Jet. I'm excited to see you guys get something going with this project.
redshift
Ok GOODY! Cause I want that DIZZY OUT OF THERE!

I want the Mallory, hurry up.

If you have a second for testing, how much do you want for it? smile.gif

M
Jake Raby
Glad to hear this Mike...
I don't have a D Jet equipped car or engine or i would sure test it for you.

I'll buy them from you, outfit Mallory's with them and offer them as a unit in the store- if that works for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.