Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint/bodywork question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
I'm about ready to prime and paint my car and the question is...

Do you think I REALLY need to prime it?

a. It is a race car so the paint only needs to look good from 15 feet. wink.gif

b. It is fiberglass. dry.gif

c. Let me say it before someone else does: It will add weight. laugh.gif

Now will the finish coat stick w/o a primer? Or do I need a primer over f/g?

I plan on using a Du Pont Nason product called Astron synthetic enamal with a hardener. It's a inexpensive (cheap) paint brand.

Whata ya think???

Paul

Aaron Cox
use IMRON tongue.gif smoke.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jan 16 2006, 06:00 PM)
use IMRON tongue.gif smoke.gif

I'm not going to LeMans and showing it at Pebble Beach. rolleyes.gif
TimT
What type of finish is on the glass now? is it gel coat? I started priming all the glass on my car, then tried just paint over the gel coat, and it works fine.

Im using a waterbased color coat, and on of the Dupont clears
jimkelly
I think a gloss paint despite adding weight would give you a better drag coefficient to to less resistance of the air over the body surfaces ??

Why not do it black epoxy prime with a clear satin gloss for the rough but purposeful look?

Looking forward to seeig the finished product.

Jim
SirAndy
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jan 16 2006, 06:10 PM)
Why not do it black epoxy prime with a clear satin gloss for the rough but purposeful look?

NO BLACK FINISH !!!

black paint absorbs more heat, more heat = more energy, more energy = more gravitational pull !!!

conclusion:

black paint will make your car heavier !!!

rolleyes.gif Andy
URY914
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 16 2006, 06:06 PM)
What type of finish is on the glass now? is it gel coat? I started priming all the glass on my car, then tried just paint over the gel coat, and it works fine.

Some areas have gel coat but I'll mostly be repainting over my old paint job.
jimkelly
That explains why I could not keep up with a dodge viper the other day : )
Lou W
URY914 Posted on Jan 16 2006, 07:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 16 2006, 06:06 PM)

Some areas have gel coat but I'll mostly be repainting over my old paint job.  

What about stripping the old paint, put a lite coat of primer for adhesion, and maybe 2-3 quarts of paint, I wouldn't think that the overall weight gain could be that much.
URY914
The weight of the primer is not really a big issue, just a joke. biggrin.gif I was trying to save a step really. If I need light coats, I'll do it. I could spray on some light coats and wait a few hours and shoot the finish. Right?
Lou W
URY914 Posted on Jan 16 2006, 07:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The weight of the primer is not really a big issue, just a joke.  I was trying to save a step really. If I need light coats, I'll do it. I could spray on some light coats and wait a few hours and shoot the finish. Right?  

owned.gif laugh.gif Yes, I would put a couple light coats then finish coats, it should be fine. smile.gif
geniusanthony
[QUOTE] could spray on some light coats and wait a few hours and shoot the finish. Right?

I am questioning the wait a few hours for finish coats, you should only let the paint tack up between coats for better stick..less chance of contamination and defects in the finished product. Check with paint manufacturer...longer for cold climates also
r_towle
400 grit and shoot the paint.
It will stick fine.

clean clean clean...and de-grease.

We just used the cheapest paint off of ebay...40 bucks a gallon and it sticks fine, no primer over the old paint..

The only reason to strip /prime is if the old paint is not sticking now, or if you have cracks in the paint.

Go for it in one shot..it will be great.

Rich
URY914
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 16 2006, 07:30 PM)
Go for it in one shot..it will be great.

That is the answer I was waiting for. laugh.gif
effutuo101
I just took mine to earl schieb, gave them a couple of hundred and called it good. I did do the prep work, but having them paint it in CA was easier then trying to clean up after the primer.... unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.