Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot:lotus europa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
icedogbill
See a beautiful Lotus Europa on e-bay.The sale died Sat.evening but re-appeared
today.Would be an interesting compliment to my 914.
Any feedback?
lapuwali
They're extremely fragile. Rub a curb parking it and you may need to find a frame shop or replace suspension bits.

They're REALLY small. If you're over 5' 9", you'll find it cramped. You basically sit right on the floor, so if there's not enough headroom for you, there's no way to gain any. The wheel well seriously intrudes on the pedal box, forcing your feet to the right.

Be prepared to learn to do fiberglass work.

You can't see squat behind you.

I'd have one if I could find a nice one and didn't already have a 914. IMHO, the 914 is much more practical and much more useful as a regular car. You can lighten a 914 until it's pretty close to the weight of a later Europa (1700lbs or so) and still have a sturdier car that won't break if you hit a bad pothole.
michel richard
I have one. It's a project and it ranks behind the /6 restoration. It's slowly moving forward. I can't wait to drive it.
You can actually see it (barely) at the back of the garage at left.

Michel
ft.lbs.
My father bought a red one when I was in high school.Owned it for 4+ months.Sold it because of the divorce. sad.gif spank.gif .Only got 1 ride-very awsome car!! aktion035.gif
thesey914
brilliant cars..got a ride with an LMeuropa....got a cobra engine in
Cap'n Krusty
Two words: "French driveline". The Cap'n
thesey914
you sure it isn't the esprit that has the renault gearbox?
tod914
Does French drive train equate to going backwards faster than foward?
fiid
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 17 2006, 02:44 PM)

Just like last years Formula 1 winner.
lapuwali
The Europa has the Renault gearbox. Indeed, the first Europas used a Renault engine, too, until the Big Valve engines came along. Chapman's road cars have nearly always been about modest power with little weight (often too little) to get their performance, and the Europa was no different. Chunky never had any problems about filching bits from various cars if a good deal was to be had.

These days, of course, you can easily build a Europa holding just about any driveline you care to imagine. Banks Garage will sell you a stronger than stock frame that can hold Rover, Vauxhall, or Ford engines, and there are several transaxle options to choose from.

As for last year's F1 winner, I'd bet money that the transaxle was English made, as nearly the entire field uses parts made by Xtrac. The Renault F1 "factory" is in England, not France. Only the engines are designed and made in France.

morgan
hope you have small feet
tdgray
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 17 2006, 06:44 PM)

Nooo. translation.

I surrender biggrin.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE (tdgray @ Jan 17 2006, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 17 2006, 06:44 PM)
Two words:  "French driveline".  The Cap'n

Nooo. translation.

I surrender biggrin.gif

Two words: Lotus (Ford block) TC (twin cam) baby! aktion035.gif

so I can't count...
michel richard
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 17 2006, 02:26 PM)
You can lighten a 914 until it's pretty close to the weight of a later Europa (1700lbs or so) and still have a sturdier car that won't break if you hit a bad pothole.

You mean the weigth of the later cars. Early S1 cars, like mine, are more like 1,300 pounds.
michel richard
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 17 2006, 02:44 PM)

I resemble that remark
fiid
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 17 2006, 03:29 PM)
As for last year's F1 winner, I'd bet money that the transaxle was English made, as nearly the entire field uses parts made by Xtrac. The Renault F1 "factory" is in England, not France. Only the engines are designed and made in France.

Hey, I resemble that remark !!!
ChrisFoley
My brother has a couple of them - project cars.
If I'm not mistaken the Renault head has the intake manifold as part of the casting. screwy.gif
race914
Here is a europa at Laguna...

michel richard
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jan 17 2006, 04:45 PM)
My brother has a couple of them - project cars.
If I'm not mistaken the Renault head has the intake manifold as part of the casting. screwy.gif

Chris,

My Europa hass the Renault engine, and head. Both manifolds are separate from the head casting.

I kinda like that little car.

Michel
mikey
I was negotiating to buy an S1 up in Napa when I found my 914-6. I test drove it around for a bit. The Europa wasn't in very good tune but it still was gobs of fun to drive. It drove like a go-kart. Can't compare it to the 914-6 though because the -6 is still on jackstands.

They're supposed to be pretty fragile and the backbone/frame is subject to rusting. There are replacement pieces available but they're pricey I hear. The car is tiny and hard to get into. But it was very comfortable. I'm 6' and had no trouble once inside the car. Driving postition was kind of like sitting in a Barcalounger - very comfy. If you wear size 8 shoes or above you will probably do some unintentional heel-and-toeing.

I still would like to get one of the early Renault engined Europas. The engine is much lighter than the Twin-Cam (less than 150lbs, IIRC) and can be modified to produce as much power as the Ford Twinks.

jim912928
I had one...what a blast! Had a 72 with the ford twin cam engine in it. If you think the 914 is small and daunting when next to a semi...the Lotus will make the 914 seem like truck size!
North Bay 914
There is one sitting outside at the Lotus shop down at Sears Point. Its the Super Super Special Edition one (1978 F1 World Champinoship Model), and it is in terrible shape. First time I have ever been up close to one. It has been hit on every corner, needs paint...total project. I can take a few pics if you would like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.