Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ItsTheCarsMoney
Hello all! I have someone thats wants to sell me a 1973 914. its a v6 dual carb. it has four lugs so I'm thinking its not originaly a six... he wants $1500 for it and its in florida. looks nice but I was wondering if anyone had some input. I would like to put it back to a boxer 4cyl engine.... problems with it already being a 6?

thanks for any imput.

Aaron
mihai914
Welcome Aaron,

The 914 never came with a V-6 only a couple of them were original sixes with the boxer 6 cyl. engine.

The car you are probably looking at is a conversion, it can be well done or poorly converted (hacked or not).

If you plan to purchase the car, first of all check for rust in the longs and the battery area. If the car is solid it's a good start.

As to put back the flat 4 engine, I don't think it will be worthwhile, you are better off having more power and torque, etc since the cutting was allready done.

Some members may help more but you would need to provide us with some more info, especially condition of the car and mechanical setup.

Hope this helps.
lapuwali
You'd find it a lot cheaper and easier to just find an original four, if thats what you want. If this has a V6 in it, the chances are almost certain it's water cooled, and there's a radiator filling the front trunk. Undoing the V6 conversion would not be cheap.
Rand
Don't buy a v6 conversion and put it back to a boxer four.
ItsTheCarsMoney
Interesting. I had not thougt about the water cooling issue. well I'll have to check it out. thanks guys!
ArtechnikA
welcome!

no 6's of any flavor in 1973.
never any V-6's.

is this a Porsche 911 flat-6 perhaps ?
you'll need to get the TYPE NUMBER before we'll have a clue of what it started out as.

two words on Florida: SALT WATER!

i bought a /6 in 1976 - Ft Lauderdale car - and it ALREADY had rust issues. some of those were from the battery having filled with rainwater and rotted some engine shelf metal. but there were indications EVERYWHERE of exposure to SALT WATER.

PLEASE get someone here to Pre-Purchase Inspect (PPI) the car for you.

just the Weber carbs on a 911 engine could bring $1500 so the stage is set for major issues.
i hope it works out for you but please, TREAD CAREFULLY!
ItsTheCarsMoney
If anyone is near Titusville florida and would be willing to take a look for me it would be MUCH appricated! any takers? I'm in MN so its a bit of a jaunt for me. there is always the chance of that person just buying the car out from under me but I would rather that than end up with a POS. let me know guys!

Thanks again for all the help
seanery
got pics?
ItsTheCarsMoney
Here are some pics. I'm waiting on some engine pics : ( sorry

having some problems with the pic.
seanery
go to THIS FAQ for info on loading pics here. smile.gif
ItsTheCarsMoney
pic1 oops, sorry thats huge on the webpage unsure.gif just try this http://www.photospace.co.za/anadeau
Rand
Link doesn't work for me.

Just curious... if you want a four, why would you buy a six and convert it back to a four?

If it really is a V6, then it may not be the best candidate for a TIV.
If it happens to be a Porsche air-cooled six, then you really don't want to go back to a four with THIS car do you?
ItsTheCarsMoney
wasn't thinking of doing it right away, just wondering how hard it would be if say the motor crapped out to go back I been looking at RAT's ::drool:: a six is fine with me more of a what if kind of a thing
Rand
Hmm.... well it depends on how the conversion was done. Does that link work for anyone else? Any engine shots?
ItsTheCarsMoney
I'm waiting on some engine shots
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.