Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Level / Speedometer Combo Gage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
I've been thinking how nice for me if the speedometer had the Fuel Level section at the bottom, then I started thinking.. and well, does anyone know if there's room ? The other thought is to put it in the Tachometer but I have a pretty nice 911 unit that I don't want to distroy experimenting on. Are the guts of the 914 and 911 TACHs the same? If this could be done I wouldn't need a center console and my set up in the dash would be:

1) Left - 911 Combo Oil Druck/ Temp
2) center - 911 Tach (for the six)
3) Right - Combo 914 speedo w/ stock 914 Fuel gauge

Doug C
SirAndy
you need to get one of these ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
or a 904 gauge...
user posted image
or

a modded 930 tach....
user posted image
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 18 2006, 07:31 PM)
...Are the guts of the 914 and 911 TACHs the same?

plus or minus but a little, all electronic tachs are the same...

Turbos have a combo gauge with speedo and boost. don't see why you couldn't use such a boost gauge as a fuel gauge. you'd need appropriate senders and calibrated movements of course, but this is stock in trade for NH and PA Speedo...

or - buy a bag of op amps and tune your own level-shifting mini-circuit...
shaggy
why is the tach up-side-down?
DougC
I love those ideas fellas, but you are talking to a CSOB wink.gif
Doug C
SirAndy
QUOTE (shaggy @ Jan 18 2006, 03:38 PM)

because i'm running a 350mm momo steering wheel and it blocks the view of the turn signal indicators.
turned the tach upside down and flipped the bulbs and all is gud again.

also rotated the speedo so the important mph range is in view (~20 - ~100) ...

took a few days to get use to but now it's like second nature. werks just fine ...
driving.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
Two clocks......

Now you will never know what time it is.....
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 18 2006, 05:36 PM)

cool_shades.gif Andy

andy...

is that a one-off, or is this an option for 914s...

b
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 18 2006, 05:56 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 18 2006, 05:36 PM)

cool_shades.gif  Andy

andy...

is that a one-off, or is this an option for 914s...

b

Although it can be made by almost anyone, it's called a Getty Design dash. You just take the dash top off and replace it with the fiberglass Getty design dash.

But you do have to add the wiring for the extra gauges. The clock is simple, just power, ground and lights. The other gauges have to be rewired to get them to work correctly.

Oh, and Britt, I have one in my car.

bd1308
i like the 914 guages...but i like the 911 guages more...

look at that dash, it looks like a concord! drooley.gif

b
r_towle
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 18 2006, 06:42 PM)

because i'm running a 350mm momo steering wheel and it blocks the view of the turn signal indicators.

took a few days to get use to but now it's like second nature. werks just fine ...
driving.gif Andy

finally a simple solution to my problem...

yup, cant see the blinker lights...and some days they stay on for a long long time...

Thanx
rich
markb
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jan 18 2006, 03:37 PM)
Turbos have a combo gauge with speedo and boost. don't see why you couldn't use such a boost gauge as a fuel gauge. you'd need appropriate senders and calibrated movements of course, but this is stock in trade for NH and PA Speedo...

I seem to remember someone having done this before.
bd1308
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 18 2006, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 18 2006, 06:42 PM)

driving.gif Andy

finally a simple solution to my problem...

yup, cant see the blinker lights...and some days they stay on for a long long time...

Thanx
rich

your blinker lights work???

ohmy.gif

b
r_towle
IDK, cant see the lights...steeringwheel is in the way///
bd1308
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 18 2006, 11:39 PM)
IDK, cant see the lights...steeringwheel is in the way///

my blinker light always stayed on, till i pulled the bulb. I wish it worked, but i'd rather have my hell-hole fixed.

b
Loser_Cruiser
Hey Andy, How'd you get that dash in carbon fiber? When I went to getty Designs website I only saw the Fiber glass one. Is it not in the pdf catalogue?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Loser_Cruiser @ Jan 18 2006, 10:12 PM)
Hey Andy, How'd you get that dash in carbon fiber? When I went to getty Designs website I only saw the Fiber glass one. Is it not in the pdf catalogue?

just call them and ask. they have a lot of stuff that never makes it in the catalog ...

they have the 911 dash in CF, FG and leather ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (markb @ Jan 18 2006, 11:23 PM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jan 18 2006, 03:37 PM)
Turbos have a combo gauge with speedo and boost.  don't see why you couldn't use such a boost gauge as a fuel gauge.  you'd need appropriate senders and calibrated movements of course, but this is stock in trade for NH and PA Speedo...

I seem to remember someone having done this before.

Rich Johnson has this in his six conversion. He took a 911 turbo tach with the boost gauge and had one of the California speedo places convert it to a fuel level gauge.

It looks great in his car.
DougC
I think I'll start shopping around for a Turbo speedo/boost gauge, I love the idea of removing the boost and adding stock 914 Fuel Level Gauge. Why do I have a feeling they'll be hard to come by though? dry.gif

Doug C
Demick
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jan 18 2006, 04:47 PM)
Two clocks......

Now you will never know what time it is.....

Of course he does. It's 9:16

somehow I doubt that is a coincidence........

Demick
Sideways
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 19 2006, 10:39 AM)
I think I'll start shopping around for a Turbo speedo/boost gauge, I love the idea of removing the boost and adding stock 914 Fuel Level Gauge. Why do I have a feeling they'll be hard to come by though? dry.gif

Doug C

Hey Doug,

You mean like this one.... I am having a pile of parts shipped over from Australia, If it hasn't already been packed up you I can arrange to have this one sent to you...

Steven
DougC
Yep Steven that's what I'm talking about.. I'm interested in getting that from you. I'll send you a PM.

Doug C
alpha434
I don't know.... Those 904 tri-gauges ARE pretty damn cool... biggrin.gif
alpha434
Maybe a dual temp option would be cool. And does VDO make an accelerometer? I got one out of an aeroplane and its sooo cool.
r_towle
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jan 18 2006, 06:36 PM)

cool_shades.gif Andy

Andy,

I like the dash...

Can you see the whole speedo?
I saw in the GT40 that the speed is over to the right, so is it clearly visible...

Is that dash insert, the part that holds the guages..is that custom? Could the holes be changed?

Yes, I know anything can be done with money...

I also noticed you have several temp guages...

Do you have one or more hooked up to cylinder head temp?
If that works, how did you do that?

And one more...I love the color coded dash...been thinking about that also..

I was thinking of doing the top of the door panel, the dash, and the console....

Can you show a few more pics from farther back so I can see if like the whole look...

Thanx
Rich
DougC
I don't know.... Those 904 tri-gauges ARE pretty damn cool...  

You're making a joke right? I mean those aren't available anywhere are they.. I'm starting to feel left out. Wasn't Aaron or somebody going to start making 'em? What happened to that? confused24.gif

Doug C
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (DougC @ Jan 20 2006, 12:50 PM)
I don't know.... Those 904 tri-gauges ARE pretty damn cool...  

You're making a joke right? I mean those aren't available anywhere are they.. I'm starting to feel left out. Wasn't Aaron or somebody going to start making 'em? What happened to that? confused24.gif

Doug C

project is going slow...

we'll leave it at that for now smile.gif
alpha434
eh. I dunno. Nobody tells me anything anymore. I guess i'm just not old enough to confide in. But since we're talking about it; How much would you pay for a tri-gauge?
DougC
Ok, but hurry up - damn! sad.gif

Doug C
DougC
How much would you pay for a tri-gauge?

Don't even go there! idea.gif

Doug C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.