Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 FUEL PUMP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
Now that my conversion is over 3 years old, I am going through and re-working some things that I could have done better. The first thing is my fuel pump. I am using an el-cheapo pump that is mounted in the engine compartment down low where the fuel lines come out of the firewall. I was using a Holley Red, but it was so noisy and it died anyway.

The reason for the rework is that the pump sometimes seems to go dry, espescially after driving on the freeway for a while and after sitting, espescially when its hot. I think its a case of fuel starvation and vapor lock.

I am planning on moving the pump to the front trunk area, closer to the tank. What else is everyone doing? I also would like to find a quiet pump. My car is a 72, so there was not a pump in the front to begin with, that's why I started with the pump in the rear.

The other thing I am getting ready to re do is my cooling system. I just had a 14x27 dual pass two 1.5 inch core radiator fabricated by a local hot rod shop for $275. The owner said this radiator should be able to cool a big-block with 1800CFM. Alot cheaper than those other places.

Thanks
Mark
SLITS
An electric pump is a pusher not a sucker, while the mechanical pumps are suckers not pushers, hence the different mounting locations on most cars (electic near tank, mechanical neat engine).

You can feasibly mount the pump below the fuel tank or in the rack well area. If you isolate it with rubber standoffs, it shouldn't be to noisy.

The problem with up front mounting is that you pressurize 30+ year old plastic lines (unless you have changed them).

But then, I don't own a V8 conversion......
bondo
If you get the late fuel pump cover, you can then mount it in that, in the front trunk to fuel tank bulkhead... Like on the later cars. The fuel pump mounts in the cover, and then the cover mounts on the bulkhead, way down low and off to the driver's side. If you're just running a carb, the pressure on the plastic line should be acceptable.
nick mironov
I recently posted information about my V8 conversion: V8 Conversion.

I used a Carter pump located next for the old heater duct. It is also rather noisy. I am going to either isolate it better, or wrap it with an acoustic treatment, or both. I also replaced the plastic fuel line with a 3/8" steel tube - I used brake line tubing for this. I don't seem to have any problems with it and it seems to be able to pump a very large volume when needed. I installed a fuel filter in the forward compartment (in the location of the original fuel pump) and I installed another filter in the engine compartment after the fuel pump. I used mostly 3/8" fuel line to keep friction losses to a minimum.
914GT
Here's where I mounted mine. Yeah, I know ... I'm just being a troublemaker. biggrin.gif
neo914-6
Location under the tank made me nervous so it's in the trunk...

Pump Mounting

Pic of mine

Renegade systems don't allow the block mounted mech pump... confused24.gif

tyler
I have mine down low in the engine compartment on the drivers side kinda tucked into the frame. It has a short nipple to a cartridge filter upstream and there's an in-line filter downstream. The mounting bolts can be seen when you look down into the engine bay on top of the frame member but I plan to make a sheet metal shield to go across the top, using these bolts, and vertically down to keep any gas from hitting the headers if there's a leak. I also made a larger hole on top to be able to get a socket in to release the cartridge on the filter. I only did this because I didn't run new fuel line.
I definetly agree the best installation is to get it under the gas tank and run new tubing to the engine.
I also found it very convenient to have the electric pump (after the "on" position of the ignition) on a manual switch so you can have it shut off when the ignition is on for some other reason (aside from being a good anti-theft device).
andys
After havig problems with the EFI on my '73 2.0, I changed to carbs. Form memory; 30 years ago, I mounted a Holley fuel pump in the low right side in the trunk. This car had AC and the spare tire, and as I recall, the pump fit without issue. It worked without incident. As for noise, this pump was what was then a new racing pump....Kind of tall and gold in color.....and fastened directly to the trunk wall it was barely discernable. Only heard it when you turned the key. Wonder why the new one's are so noisey?

Andy
boxstr
Same here front trunk, make sure it is below the low point of the tank.
CCLINFUELME
wbergtho
I mounted an Bosch high pressure fuel pump in the front trunk on the floor under my relocated battery. I have an LS6 motor in my car and my system works very well. I run the pump immediately into an Aeromotive adjustable fuel regulater (w/return directly back to the fuel tank). Here's a so so picture. You can barely see the pump under the battery tray...
BIGKAT_83
I used the stock GM high pressure fuel injection intank pump on my LS1 conversion . I mounted it where the stock fuel filler was on the stock 914 tank and installed a gas cap from a fuel cell where the old level sender went. Makes no noise at all.
Bob......... biggrin.gif

user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.