Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amazing 914 Engine Sound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
http://media.putfile.com/My-914-trying-to-start

it happened again... hitched a ride home..
bd1308
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 21 2006, 03:32 PM)

backfire from intake or tailpipe?

any smoke?

i bet its timing....

b
cbenitah
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 21 2006, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (cbenitah @ Jan 21 2006, 03:32 PM)

backfire from intake or tailpipe?

any smoke?

i bet its timing....

b

LOTS AND LOTS of grey/black smoke

can i fix it? Does it have to do with my new points? maybe an adjustment... i cant start it though.. if im under 2000 RPM it flickers and then dies..
bd1308
real Rich....bad mps.

1.7 or 2.0

trigger points causing extra injector pulses?

b
cbenitah
1974 1.8L
bd1308
1.8L

hmm...

anti-vac leak....

hmm.....

for it to be that messed up...

mine did the same thing, only mine ran real lean.

anywho, is the AFM stuck?

b
cbenitah
to much tech talk... a page i can look at in haynes?
Dave_Darling
Could be the timing is very far off; could be the plug wires are not on the right distributor cap terminals. Could be other stuff, too.

--DD
cbenitah
Have you guys heard anything like this though... this is my daily sound for the past 4 months... but with running and running bad.. but then i got it fixed last friday and then my points broke...
bd1308
okay...if you go out to your car

look for the airbox (big black thing on left side {driver side})

then you'll see some silver metal thing attached to it. that be your AFM.

remove the intake boot (rubber) with a screwdriver on that hose clamp and stick your finger inside of that large diameter circular hole. you'll feel a flap, go ahead....push it. that flap meaures the amount of air coming through it, so the FI system can match it with a specified amount of fuel. If it sticks ANYWHERE in its travel, you need to do some work....

if you want i can pm you my number.....

b
cbenitah
again the car is nicely parked 20 miles away from here.. couldnt make it home, what is on the audio file is the sound i got.

but you are right, that flap was stuck last time, we freed it up by bending it and now its ok..

that WAS the problem, but how can it be the same symptoms when its not that...
bd1308
because you drive and it gets stuck again....

bending it wont solve the problem....

you will need a rebuilt AFM....

cbenitah
and thats cheap i guess ar15.gif chowtime.gif

Well, it seamed to work, casue the flap was just scratching the wall of it..
eeyore
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 21 2006, 02:51 PM)
Could be the timing is very far off; could be the plug wires are not on the right distributor cap terminals. Could be other stuff, too.

--DD

agree.gif

Sounds like very off timing.

Do you have D-Jet or L-Jet? (Did 1.8s come with D-Jet?)
eeyore
Christopher,

I have a box of L-Jet parts in my garage. PM/email me and we can work out a handoff spot if you want some spares. AFM included.
bd1308
he has L-Jet....

the AFM is bad.

b
Gint
It's timing. Excessive dwell or too retarded. BTDT, just recently fixed it. And it took a "new" used dizzy to do it. The irginal kept eating points rubbing blocks.
bd1308
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 21 2006, 09:11 PM)
It's timing. Excessive dwell or too retarded. BTDT, just recently fixed it. And it took a "new" used dizzy to do it. The irginal kept eating points rubbing blocks.

my dizzy?

b
Gint
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jan 21 2006, 08:19 PM)
QUOTE (Gint @ Jan 21 2006, 09:11 PM)
It's timing.  Excessive dwell or too retarded.  BTDT, just recently fixed it.  And it took a "new" used dizzy to do it.  The irginal kept eating points rubbing blocks.

my dizzy?

b

Britt,
Believe it or not yours (after I took it apart and lubed it properly with real antique Bosch distributor grease) is what's in the car now and running great. I also now have a spare dizzy all loaded and set to go in the trunk so I can put a Pertronix (used freebie) in yours and run it 'til it quits. If it does, I pop in the other unit from the trunk in 5 minutes even on the side of the highway.

Christopher,
I had exactly those same symptoms with the old dizzy as the dwell increased to 70+ as the points rubbing block wore down. During the course of troubleshooting I also experienced VERY reatrded timing after an initial dizzy install and that too would cause the same symptoms.

It could be FI related, but it doesn't sound like it to me. Check your dwell and timing first. Start with the basics and make sure they're solid.
ClayPerrine
If the car backfired, it probably warped the flap on the AFM.

Only permanent solution is a replacement AFM.

BTDT. headbang.gif
cbenitah
Got it running thanks to you guys! Went up now with a flash light and some tools.. I moved the flap inside the dist. closer to the tall piece. (sorry for my terminalogy) now it runs good almost great, it still have backfires when i let go of the throttle, and a rather rough idle around 7-900 jumping up and down..

change out the FI?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.