Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: First bad eBay seller experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
Firstly, mad.gif

In the second week of December I purchased a monitor on evilBay for a customer, $25 + s/h sounded fair, it was the same monitor she had before. A few days go by after the auction ends, I won, paid within an hour after auction end. Total was $88 and change with $60+ shipping. Ouch. A week goes by and no word on a tracking number. I requested insurance (semi-valuable and very fragile item) so if it was lost he could be reimbursed. A week and a half goes by, I email and ask what the delay is. He says held at the post office for more money. Okay, never heard of that one before...

another week and a half goes by, I get a tag on my door from USPS: Attempted to deliver, requires signature. I go and pick it up from the post office, only to find that the exterior plastic and circuit boards are all completely thrashed. The seller's idea of packing was ... get this... A small thin sheet of bubble wrap on the back of the monitor and a wadded up towel over the screen. Nay! Says I, I shan't accept. Send it back! Postmaster snaps a picture for me and I e-mail the guy telling him I want a full refund and that the monitor is en route. He says no way, I'll get a refund when he gets the insurance money. I'm needing the cash from this monitor as of three weeks ago, since it is useless to me broken. Not only that, it was for a customer! Which means I don't get paid for it until it's delivered and setup.

My question is... Am I screwed here? I paid through paypal (only method the seller accepted) and it was an electronic funds transfer - not on my credit card.

I asked for the guy's daytime phone number. I also have to scan the phot the post office gave me. It only seems right to me to refund my money. It is what I would do if I sold an item to someone and it was destroyed in transit. Refund the buyer now, collect the insurance later. Not make the buyer wait on the insurance check...
GWN7
you have 30 days to file a complaint with ebay & pay pal
dlo914
what kind of monitor you looking for? ive got a spare 15" CRT Monitor sitting around. It's yours FREE if you pick up from my place or maybe meet somewhere in the middle. Here's a picture of it:
spare time toys
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jan 22 2006, 03:46 AM)
you have 30 days to file a complaint with ebay & pay pal

File with Ebay and PayPal. I had trouble with a company that sent a wrong part other than what I won. I took photos and emailed them, Ebay, and Paypal. I returned it to them and they didnt want to give me a refund because it was not what I purchased. Long story short Got the money taken back from them and put back into my paypal.
Joe Bob
I have dell monitor....free as well....

BTW....dunno about USPS....but it took close to six months to get my refund back from UPS when I had a trans damaged. Computer and monitors NEED special packaging.
seanery
USPS is VERY FAST to pay.
alpha434
Pay pal has a seperate insurance promise. They cover something like 1000 bucks if your item is a lemon, and then they turn around and tear the other guy a new one.
Joe Bob
BTW...the first thing ANY shipping company does is look how it was packaged. If the shipper was a moron.....looks like he was....they deny the claim.

The debacle of "*" and RedBeard was classic.....Red PAID for the trans to be packaged by a UPS Store and was still damaged....the losers STILL tried the "inadequate packing routine".....had to discuss the matter with COUNTLESS stupidvisers before the $$ got released......PLUS....the UPS Stores are franchises....another layer of assholes to deal with becuase THEY are the shipper of record.....

But I'm serious....I have a Dell sittiing here that works.....come get it if ya want. Not like a drive to Santa Barbara will involve any hardship....it's NOT Bakersfield.....
blink.gif
anthony
I think you should immediately file a complaint with Paypal. If the guy cares about his feedback you could also give him a negative. That may motivate him to refund your money.

In the end, you may have to chalk this one up to an ebay learning experience. $88 is pretty expensive for most used CRT monitors. If you look on craigslist you can usually find hundreds that are very cheap or free. In general I shy away from stuff on ebay that is fragile, heavy, and/or tough/expensive to ship.

ematulac
I have 4 CRT monitors sitting in my garage, all 17"+.

Give me a PM if you need one.
Howard
I'm in the same boat with monitors. Office upgraded to flats and I still have a couple of 17's gathering dust.

Hmm.. There's enough of us here to consider a new classified section "Free (or almost) to a good home" where we can list stuff we don't need.
boxstr
Or a "Barter" category. I have a woodie to trade for a flatbed.
Howard
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 22 2006, 09:32 AM)

I just know I'm gonna hate myself in a minute, but please post pix of your woodie.
erikstoll
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 22 2006, 09:32 AM)

i like that idea..... would help me liquidate some crap
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.