Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone used/installed one of these ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
I'm thinking of plumbing one of these and a breather catch tank with my 2.0 that I'm rebuilding.
But reading the info it states that it mounts vertically. Where does it get mounted, no to be in the way.

I saw it at www.9xauto.com. 914 parts / then oil supply stuff.
cary
Heres a picture cut from their site.
SLITS
We used a hydraulic accumulator off a Boeing 707 (I think) from a used aircraft supply (3000 psig rated) and mounted it horizontally. Had to add the shutoff valve and a one way valve in the oil line system...still cheaper than the rest of them.
Dave_Darling
You can probably get them cheaper from Racer Parts Wholesale. I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but also search on "Accusump". If not the same product, the Accusump is at least the same idea.

--DD
bd1308
what's this for?

b
Dave_Darling
It's for making sure that you have oil pressure, even in long sweeping turns. It accumulates oil when the pressure in the system is high, and pushes that oil into the oil pressure system when the pressure drops. Like when the oil sloshes away from the pickup in the middle of the sump.

--DD
bd1308
oh smile.gif
GTPatrick
Dave, that is true aktion035.gif but you are also going to have to have a soruce of air pressure in that accumulator, such as nitrogen ( like we use in aircraft) to be on the other side of the diaphragm in the accumulator that will push that oil out into the system when needed. piratenanner.gif ar15.gif
redshift
It's also for setting up a pre oiling system, so it stages with your ignition, and pumps up as you cranketh!

That would make for a nice addition.

M
gregrobbins
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jan 22 2006, 08:32 PM)
It's for making sure that you have oil pressure, even in long sweeping turns. It accumulates oil when the pressure in the system is high, and pushes that oil into the oil pressure system when the pressure drops. Like when the oil sloshes away from the pickup in the middle of the sump.

--DD

So I am thinking a tuna can would help in cornering with out the hastles of recharging an accumulator and remembering to turn the valve on and off.
Dave_Darling
Yes and no. The AccuSump can help with cold-starts, as Miles said. The Tuna Can cannot (pun not intended). The AccuSump also does not suffer from the potential road clearance issues that the Tuna Can might. (One of many subjects Jake can get wound up about; he has evidently lost at least one engine to the Tuna Can hitting something, but probably on a rear-engine'd application where it is more exposed.)

The Tuna Can is also only good for about a half-quart of "starvation prevention", if that. (Some of that oil will still slosh out away from the pickup.) The AccuSump holds anywhere from one to five quarts, if I recall correctly. That's a much longer higher-G sweeper or skid-pad.

I like the Tuna Can on my car. It has been quite effective for me. It is not the appropriate solution for every case.

--DD
cary
The tuna can just scares me. Half of our driving is done on gravel roads. That can hanging down is just a possibilty for disaster.

This Moroso tank is $80. The Accusump starts at about $160.
cary
I'm heading to work. But here is the how come, why fores.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisp...p?catcode=13600

I didn't read them, but it should have all the info.
groot
Capacity is important....the pictured unit is a 1.5 quart (I think). If you'll be taking long sweepers you'll run it dry.

It is the same as an Accusump. You do not have to pressurize it, unless you want to. I ran my system always open... never had to worry about opening and closing the valve. I just started the engine and didn't worry about pre-pressurizing the oil system (just like every other car out there).

I use one on my race car... very important on these cars if they are used on long sweepers, unless you go with a dry sump. I use a Moroso, 3 quart unit. I have data on the oil pressure for every track session I've run and the oil pressure accumulator works very well.

Actually, I'm selling it, if you're interested..... I'm going to dry sump (not because the oil pressure accumulator doesn't work, btw).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.