Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supertrapps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Need to get my supertrapps as quiet as possible....

What is the quietest combination? no discs? one disc with the cap, a few discs w/o the cap?

inquiring minds want to know

Dont want the Lime Rock noise police to rain on my day. I think the noise level allowed at Lime Rock is 86db sad.gif
redshift
More discs=Less db, also I think the point was made that it moves the tq curve up.

look for a mikez post about 2 weeks ago, related to his 356.

M
ChrisFoley
Tim,
you should have turndowns attached to the supertrapps so the sound is aimed at the ground. Regardless of the number of plates, supertrapps alone are usually too loud at Lime Rock.
redshift
ohmy.gif

86db? 86db? LMFAO! Is that at one meter?

laugh.gif

So, your tow vehicle is louder than your race car.. nice.

Who makes these r00ls? Ralph Nader?

M
Dave_Darling
Hmm... I thought that the more disks you had, the less backpressure you had--and the louder the thing was. More disks meaning more holes for the gases to escape through, with all of the holes being the same size. If that is correct, the quietest setup would be one disk with the end cap.

--DD
redshift
Here is the thread I was thinking of:

Tale of the dyno, It's SuperTrapp over Magna Flow

m
TimT
Im not worried about power, Im worried about noise. dont want to be blackflagged.

I just got home from the hardware store with some 4" 90 deg dryer vents... Ill post some pics of the contraption when Im done blink.gif
redshift
I based my assumption on db levels being lowered by anecdotal evidence in that thread.

Looking forward to pictures of your contraption, I am bored poohless.

M
drew365
From the SuperTrapp General Instructions, and I quote:

"Adding disks increases the noise level, reduces back pressure and increases top end performance. Removing disks lowers the noise level, increases back pressure, and creates more bottom end."

I've done some adjustments to my carbs so I'm going to dyno the car again, one pull with all 18 disks I have and one with just the end cap. Last time I screwed up, when I took out the disks I didn't put the end cap back on. I'll let you know how the dyno comes out.
ChrisFoley
The engine will barely run with no disks and with the end cap. There will be so much backpressure it will hardly get above idle.
IMO a Supertrapp is the worst muffler you can use by itself, unless you want the car loud anyway, or you really want more backpressure. I do think the Supertrapp is good as a second muffler however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.