Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monster Garage Day2 or 5 depending..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Brad Roberts
With power to the pump.. tap on it with the end of a screw driver. They can get gummed up when they sit for too long. Dont worry about the seeping fuel right now.. the seals are probably dry and will need to have gas on them for awhile. You might get lucky and have the pump come back to life.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. check your ground at the pump. Make sure you have continuity to the ground on the battery (easy to do with the battery above it).

B
Andyrew
The ground is from the big cluster of grounds by the relay board right? I think I have a good ground on that, I'll double check.

With power to the pump.. tap on it with the end of a screw driver. They can get gummed up when they sit for too long. Dont worry about the seeping fuel right now.. the seals are probably dry and will need to have gas on them for awhile. You might get lucky and have the pump come back to life.

I will try this, but I am also thinking of taking the fuel pump out and taking it apart, any reason or referance for doing this? Are they rebuildable?

Thanks

Andrew wavey.gif
ChrisReale
I think fuel pumps are rebuildable, but I seem to recall one of the gaskets is hard to come by. I might be wrong. It would probably be worth your time to find a good used one..
Andyrew
I just picked up another fuel pump, dont know if it works, but its a just in case thing.. I'll try getting the one I have on there now working, if not, I'll open it up and try and swich good parts for bad...

Does anyone know of a tech article for rebuilding it? I have heard of one, and I didnt see it in the tech places I looked at..

Thanks

Andrew
Andyrew
Alright, fixed the fuel pump (temporarily) and the pump was good, the wires, no..

Now it doesnt have spark..
It has spark from the coil, but not from the Dizzy.. New cap, new rotor. Electronic ignition..

Any ideas? I really want this thing on the road tonight..

Thanks
Andrew
Bleyseng
Put points in it to get it running. Keep it simple

Geoff
Andyrew
Thanks, I did that, but it seemed to be that the wire attaching the coil to the dizzy wasnt in completely on the coil side (we found this after we changed points) And it now has fuel, and has spark.. So we'll do the timing next.. I think we almost have it.. Brakes bleed, pedal feels good. umm the drivers harness is installed, I think im going to need a harness bar, the shoulder one is not taunt, and the seat is holding my shoulders, so thats going to be fixed, later.

Andrew

Needing to drive, not wanting, needing driving.gif sad2.gif
dan10101
Monster Garage Day.. idea.gif .. 15....
IT RUNS!!!

Andrew no longer NEEDs to drive the Teener. Now he just want's to drive it more.

Here's where we are at. We ran new wires to the fuel pump. Direct to the battery. It works. Then we started playing with the ignition. I must have tried setting it to TDC 3 or 4 times before I finally got it right. WAY out of practice. Heck, I was doing this 30 years ago when I was Andrews age. Anyway after we were almost ready to back it out of the garage and put it up on blocks, it finally started. We checked dwell and set the timing. Beat on the fenders a bit to make the 225x16 tires roll. And took it on it's maiden voyage. Hey, we even got it home without calling a tow truck. dance.gif

But, we're not done. Here's just the ones I can think of..
  • Most important - figure out the fuel pump wiring problem
  • brakes still a bit sluggish
  • slight misfire - probably go back to the Crane EI
  • Beat some more on the fenders
  • High Idle - possible vaccum leak
  • dash lights, tail lights, turn signals.
  • finish putting the interior back together
  • probably a lot more...
Andrew's worked hard and deserves this next pict.. Driving by the light of the moon...
Brad Roberts
Congrats gang !! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif Andrew.. I'll buy your dad a beer the next time I see him.

B
dan10101
Here's a couple picts..
dan10101
and another. (you guys don't really care about these, but we do!)
dan10101
Gee thanks!! beer.gif
Andyrew
Thanks,

Dad, show them why we need to bang the fenders....

laugh.gif

Andrew

If the Cookie cutters have more clearance, they will be going on once I put some decent paint on them.
Brad Roberts
75/76 2.0 air cleaner.. cool. I forgot they have a larger a breather tube inlet. I see you also chose the cheap cool air ducting for the air cleaner...LOL It works well.

I think the car looks COOL with the 16x7's on it.

B
Brad Roberts
In the pic above.. had you JUST lowered the car from a floorjack ??

B
Andyrew
probably...

let me fire his comp up again and look for some after drive pics..

Andrew
Andyrew
actually I think we bounced and rolled it a little to see if the tires would fit, they didnt, so we found some jack handles and went for it, rolled out, nope, rolled back in, took some plyers and bent the lip in and then pulled it out again..

rest of story in another post..

Andrew
Brad Roberts
If it wasnt just dropped.. the rear has WAY too much pos. camber.

B
elmonte
Looks like it could ues a little more neg camber in the rear
elmonte
Beat me to it brad
dan10101
I have not alligned it yet... I will add in alot more neg camber, yes I can see what your saying. pics in a sec.

Andrew
dan10101
Continue of story
Then I took it around the block a few times, brakes, well they brake, not what you would expect, we'll work on that.. I didnt think there was much power, I thought it was kinda dogish.. then I stop and let Dad drive, and we take it back home. all the time making long turns because we cant turn the wheel much.. we get back home and I can hear the rear wheels rub..

I guess this solves the dogish problem...

Drivers rear wheel
dan10101
before drive
dan10101
Gnight, i'll post more pics later, school tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for everything!
Andrew

wavey.gif
RustyWa
Lets go back to the air cleaner photo...isn't the bottom section of the air cleaner box rotated 180 degrees out of whack?

I didn't think you could turn them around like that and make them sit on the rubber nubs..
Bleyseng
I run mine like that all the time! The intake sits right on the wheelhouse and get fresh cool air feeding it from the small grill. You can run pipe up to the grill if you want also.

Geoff
RustyWa
Hmm, I'll have to try that. The air temp on that side is mucho cooler over there in my engine.
Andyrew
I ran it this way to get some fresh air from the side, decided that it would get more air from the side of the car than the middle.. Especially when I put the rain tray on (in the rainy season, for the "just in case")
Andyrew
Heres some fresh pics.
Andyrew
Next
Andyrew
bout 1.5 camber on the front now, put the strut assymblies all the way in
Andyrew
My purdyest fuch
Andyrew
Now, Im trying to debate what to paint my track cookie cutters.. Im thinking all silver (Im going to try that chrome paint from autozone) or silver rim black inside, silver rim with body collor inside.

What do you guys think? I will drive them on the street till my fenders are bigger...

Andrew
seanery
i like black centers silver lip
Qarl
I'm a little late... but... WOO HOO!!!! clap56.gif

Congrats guys! Sounds like you had fun and learned a lot in the process.

Thanks for sharing your triumph (errr... I mean your Porsche pics) !!! smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng
Way to go Guys! Nothing like a father/son team to fix up an ole Porsche.
Car looks great, did you drive it to school yet?? Love to see the faces of the school guys with their Honda when you pull up..lol

Geoff
Andyrew
Actually its the girls with the honda's...

No I didnt drive it to school, It was rubbing too much on the tires, Im trying to fix that.. dads doing the rear camber right now...

Progress on the cookies
Andyrew
pic makes it look too good, all I did was chemically strip them..

Andrew
Eric Taylor
Andy That car looks awsome. I love the fuch's but those cookies cutters are really growing on me! Awsome to see another 16 year old fixing up a teener. Driving it to school is a lot of fun. No one know's what it is and they all want a ride. Hopefully I can get mine running strong soon! ( insert praying emoticon)
Eric

Oh yeah, did you rebuild the 2.0, or just re do the FI?
ChrisReale
way to go smilie_pokal.gif You guys worked hard. I think it looks sweet with the Fuchs. A little troubleshooting and a proper alignment and you're on your way beer.gif
RustyWa
That photo with the Fuchs sure makes me want to do the 5-bolt upgrade.
Aaron Cox
yeah i wish my car looked that good when it debuted at high school last year. soon it will, thanks for motivating me. smilie_pokal.gif
peridotian
There is a color coded vacum hose set on evilbay right now.
Patrick
Andyrew
Hey, thanks for all the comments. I'm sure Andrew is too. He's over in Asilimar Conference center for a couple days. (Monterey). The Christian school he goes to, sends all the High Schoolers there to kick off the school year. (Guess who pays..) blink.gif

We didn't get very far last night. So hopefully we'll finish up this weekend and he'll drive it to school on Monday. I did get the camber on the back to 1.5 and 2.0, Andrew set the fronts to about 1.5, but still don't think it will be enough once it starts bouncing off the bumps in the road.

If someone want's color coded hoses for a 1.7, our friend Jim has a set. New in the box. He's the one that want's to get rid of a passle of 914s in various array of partedness. I'm going over there right now to help him get his 944 running. I don't have to do much, but stand around and say "are you done yet?". He has all the skills necessary, just needs motivation. Jim, you out there?
Andyrew
Woops Andrews account. Oh well..

Hey, I get a vacation from 914s!

Now, on to that 944...
Qarl
Man! Those cookie cutters look good as is! Clear coat 'em or paint the centers silver!

Good job... both of you! clap56.gif
Eric Taylor
I would be intrested in those hose's. How Much?
Eric
Andyrew
Here's his email. I don't know what he what's for them.
Jim Cooper [xdecman@comcast.net]

Actually, that's the only cookie cutter that looks good, (got them from Jim). The others need paint. So we're looking for something silver or chrome. They will be track wheels, so no big outlay for them.

Dan
seanery
Jim Cooper is a regular on the 924/944/968 rennlist board.
He's infamous on his, hmmm, "tragedies", "mishaps", what do I call them....
They have come up with a fictional award for bad things happening while working on your car. It's called the "Cooper Cup"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.