Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for the /6 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I have a possible line on a set of Venolia P/C's running 10:5 to 1 compression to put on my 2.7.

What I'll end up with is 40mm webers, late "S" cams and 10:5 to 1 compression.

What do you guys think about the combo???
joea9146
I think with !0.5: 1 you may have to Run Twiin Plugs.... That compression is pretty High
Aaron Cox
I think its gonna suck.....

when a cop busts you! LOL 200+ hp?

chowtime.gif Jumpy.gif busted_cop.gif new_shocked.gif MDB2.gif
rick 918-S
confused24.gif And that's a problem because? confused24.gif burnout.gif
Eric_Shea
Twin Plug or Different Ignition (Crankfire??)
J P Stein
Webers & S cams are OK in a race motor as is 10.5:1 compression with race gas. You gots a race car?
Allan
Change of plans. Mechanic says compression is too high for what I need. sad.gif

Going with Mahle euro P/C's. Shooting for 9:0 to 1...
J P Stein
'E' or Solex cams are a far better choice for a street car.
olav
blowup.gif
Eddie914
Great combination - lots of power, and fabulous throttle response, it will even lighten the car via your wallet since you will be paying$6.00 to 8.00 per gallon for race gas (100 low lead or 110 octane leaded).

10.5:1 is a bit high for pump gas. 9.5:1 is about the limit for single plug applicaitons with pump gas (depending on the quality of the pump gas ... pump gas is not the same in all parts of the country). You might be able to reduce the compression ratio with additional cylinder base gaskets, grinding of the piston crowns or grinding of the combustion chambers. It all depends on the price of the Venolia P/Cs and the amount of custom work you are prepared to do (or are prepared to pay to have done).

Eddie
SLITS
Venolias were gone....actual pistons were Forged True with a CR of 11 to 12.5:1 depending upon installed height.... blowup.gif busted_cop.gif

Well, back to the drawing board.............
TimT
I used Venolia Pistons on the first 911 engine I ever rebuilt. It was 2.2, when my dad and I measured the bores they were ovaled and tapered.. so we had them bored.. An outboard motor guy we knew hooked us up with Venolia.. the engine, after all was said and done was 2.35L The CR was 10.1:1 when measured...

It was a screamer that engine.. Yikes almost 25 years ago LOL I drove it for a few thousand miles, then balled the car up.

10.5 Is probably the max CR unless you commit to high octane, or twin plug heads..

Shooting for 9:0 to 1...

go for a measured 9.5
brp914
what happened to your engine? last I heard, it torqued down ok and you were on the road.
Allan
QUOTE (TimT @ Jan 27 2006, 07:20 PM)
go for a measured 9.5

That's my goal...
Allan
QUOTE (brp914 @ Jan 27 2006, 07:49 PM)
what happened to your engine? last I heard, it torqued down ok and you were on the road.

Didn't work. Head was leaking for a long time and eroded the cylinder.

One thing I learned is that unless you are a very good /6 guy (or girl), you will not know how to determine a head leak by ear....
J P Stein
We (myself & another guy) rad 14.5 :1 Venolias in a 301 Chebbie back in the 60s.....drag racin'. We had to to run 2 compression washers on the plugs to keep em' off the pistons.

I ain't a big fan of trimming the deck height of 911 motors. Tain't worth the trouble for about .5 compression.....which don't give much bang for the buck. Even a point more would be worth maybe 10-15 hp & torque tops..better to get new pistons, me thinks.
confused24.gif
sixnotfour
I ain't a big fan of trimming the deck height of 911 motors. Tain't worth the trouble for about .5 compression.....which don't give much bang for the buck. Even a point more would be worth maybe 10-15 hp & torque tops..better to get new pistons, me thinks.

His heads are gonna need a cut because of the loose cyl/ heads /errosion.
Allan
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jan 27 2006, 08:04 PM)
Even a point more would be worth maybe 10-15 hp & torque tops..better to get new pistons, me thinks.
confused24.gif

agree.gif Thanks for the advice.

Mr. Make me spend more money....
J P Stein
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Jan 27 2006, 08:10 PM)

His heads are gonna need a cut because of the loose cyl/ heads /errosion.

Yeah, but that can be shimmed back up at the cylinder base.
If not, you gotta cut the chain boxes to suit the heads, right?
Then you can get into chain length problems which can be cured by oversized idler sprokets...I'd pass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.