Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oxidation Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
Did a search this afternoon for restoring oxidized paint.
Found a thread listing the Meguiars web site (http://www.meguiars.com/) & had some good reading.

While picking up some Kendal's 20/50 for the 914's oil change I grabed a bottle of #2 Meguiars cleaner.
The pic shows what just 2 minutes did rubbing by hand. I was amazed that the old oxidized paint came to life thumb3d.gif
BTW, it's the real dark spot on the trunk wink.gif

Anyone have another good oxidizing removal product to mention ?

......b
sixnotfour
random orbitable sander/buffer with a foam pad makes it easier.
sweat equity
Bruce Allert
I was looking for one of those today. ran outta time.

Bet that makes a quick job out of it, huh?

.........b
sixnotfour
Kinda exspensive but something to look at their process for ideas.
speedshine and clay block makes it smooth removes embedded dirt etc. good first step.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?sea...earchtext=11119
redshift
smile.gif

Shining is fun.... don't forget that people buying that kit, also bought the retractable ceiling thing.

hah

M
markb
Marcie (my resident expert) says in this order, "clay, clean, polish, then wax" You can also go to the Meguiars website, put in where you live, and it'll tell you exactly which products to use to combat the conditions of your area.

Sounds like a lotta work to me. dry.gif
914-8
That paint is looking pretty pasty.

I'd lightly wet sand it with 2000, at least on the horizontal surfaces (vert surfaces probably don't need it).

Then, polish with a random orbital in this order:

1. Meguire's Heavy Cut cleaner using burgandy pad.

2. Meguire's Light Cut cleaner using yellow pad.

3. Meguire's Swirl Remover using tan pad.

4. Your favorite wax using tan pad.

All of that would take the good part of a Saturday, but your car would look absolutely brand new, even under the harshest lighting conditions (flourescent light, early morning sun, etc).
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (914-8 @ Jan 31 2006, 12:31 AM)
That paint is looking pretty pasty.

I'd lightly wet sand it with 2000, at least on the horizontal surfaces (vert surfaces probably don't need it).

When wet sanding would this be by hand? Also, would it be in straight paths (all the same direction)or in circles?

.......b
Kargeek
Never sand in circles...always sand in stright lines.

Some detailers claim that polishing in circles will do the same so, polish in stright line especially on dark colored paints.

Wet sand by hand using water with a drop of soap- helps to miminize loading of the 2000 sandpaper.
DH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.