Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Long Drive On New Engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sharper
I'm looking at buying a converted 914-6 that is about 700 miles from me. The engine was rebuilt about 10 years ago but never really even broken in. The current owner estimates about 7 total hours on the engine. I am considering flying up there and driving it back but am somewhat concerned due to the engine not really being tested yet. Its either that or have it shipped. Was looking for some opinions from you guys to help make the decision.
IanStott
When was it run last? If run recently and with no problems then lean towards driving it. If it hasn't been run in quite some time there are a great many things, too many to mention that could spoil your trip. It is supposed to fun, right? I would of said ehhh but then you would know where I am from.

Ian Stott
Moncton

PS If you do decide to drive don't forget our list of people who have sined on to rescue other club members!!
tat2dphreak
drive it, but have a contact list of nearby members and such, carry extra cables(accel and clutch) and take it easy...

if the -6 was rebuilt professionally, it should be fine
Demick
I'd be concerned. How many people do a six conversion (or rebuild) and then simply park the car after 7 hours and never drive it again. Usually the only time that happens is if the owner found some major problems, or if the conversion was never finished and the owner gave up on it. Either way, it is not in a condition for a long drive.

Demick

Joe Ricard
Where zackly is 700 miles from you?
You know the drill if you pass by my house you HAVE to stop in for some parts.
I know not so much about 911 engines other than "suck, squeeze, bang, blow"
sharper
Where zackly is 700 miles from you?

Actually opposite direction from you. Its up in the DC area.
914Sixer
I would trailer it just to be safe. Gas tank problably should be drained. Fluids should be changed or checked. Brakes that have not been used might be frozen. Tires good or dry rotten? Take it home the safe way!
r_towle
hell, dont be chicken.

Bring a front trunk full of parts with you...ship them ahead UPS..

Then get in and drive...you will get home.

DC to GA has a few folks on the way...

Its a simple car. Bring bearings and brake parts, fuel pump and relays, cables and fan belt...

A jack and a cell phone...

700 miles is just a long days drive...
Besides, the car needs to have its legs stretched.

Rich
type47
i'm near DC. let me know if i can help.
degreeoff
agree.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (914Sixer @ Jan 31 2006, 10:35 AM)
I would trailer it just to be safe. Gas tank problably should be drained. Fluids should be changed or checked. Brakes that have not been used might be frozen. Tires good or dry rotten? Take it home the safe way!

agree.gif
IanStott
If you decide to drive let us know how your trip went.

Ian Stott
Moncton
sharper
Seems everyone is divided about 50 / 50 on this. It maybe a dead issue as the seller has become reluctant on closing the deal.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (914Sixer @ Jan 31 2006, 01:35 PM)

I recant what I said... 914 sixer makes a good point...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.