Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trailing arm comparison
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Has anyone done a comparison of the 914 versus boxster trailing arm comparison?

Any pics??

Specifically looking for pics of a boxster trailing arm.

Rich
ClayPerrine
Boxster doesn't have a trailing arm.

ClayPerrine
boxster rear suspension....

user posted image
ClayPerrine
Another shot.

user posted image
Mueller
it's considered a modified Macferson strut suspension from what I've read...there is one link per side that attaches to the lower arm that limits fore and aft movement...

unless they've changed thier minds, there are 2 members currently attempting to install a Boxster rear suspension in thier 914's

r_towle
ok, shows that I have never been under a boxster.

There must be some sort of sub-frame assembly under the tranny for that to work.

So, you need to remove that sub frame to remove the engine??

Rich
Mueller
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 31 2006, 01:20 PM)
ok, shows that I have never been under a boxster.

There must be some sort of sub-frame assembly under the tranny for that to work.

So, you need to remove that sub frame to remove the engine??

Rich

it looks like 6 to 8 bolts to remove the entire rear suspension...same goes for the front....

you wanna send me some pictures smile.gif
r_towle
you got time?

I got some ideas how to fix it...just need to make sure you got the bandwidth...

Rich
Mueller
QUOTE (r_towle @ Jan 31 2006, 01:25 PM)
you got time?

I got some ideas how to fix it...just need to make sure you got the bandwidth...

Rich

i'm bound and determined to achieve my goal of "one new product or more a month"....ummmm, starting next month, hahahaha
bryanc
There is a subframe that most of the suspension links bolt to. The fore/aft links bolt up beside the engine like 914 trailing arms do.

The subframe holds the back half of the tranny and connects to the chassis above and via the aluminum bars that run under the motor. IIRC, the subframe is similar to the frame used on 996/997 models, just swapped around.

There are only a few bolts holding the thing together. I recently changed the inner CV joint boots on my Boxster and had to pull lots of the suspension pieces to get the CV off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.