Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hot does exhaust get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Anyone ever hit the exhaust with a temp gun. How hot do exhaust pipes get? I'm asking because I'm thinking of having my exhaust pipes powder coated. Not the manifolds, just the pipes.
Joe Ricard
Just get them jet hot coated. Sort of the same process just higher temp.
I would imagine as shourt as your pipes are from the thumpin V-8 they will be damn hot. Like aren't they going to be about the length of where the CAT would sit on the 928?
redshift
Ron said 1600f in the elbows, and sure enough, 1200f paint just turns to ash in the elbows of my Triad.

Ouch!

M
BIGKAT_83
Eastwood sells a HI-TEMP powder coating for headers.Seems to work better than any rattle can Hi-temp paint I've used.

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
I fried Eastwoods hi-temp paint off my cast manifolds. Turned to ash then to rust. dry.gif I was going to get my manifolds Jet-Hot coated but I'm looking for a lower cost way to coat my pipes. I'm working on a heat exchanger idea. There will be considerable welding involved. Unless I build them in stainless they'll rust out up here in a year just sitting in the garage. I need a low cost solution.
BIGKAT_83
I used the eastwood brush on paint at first too. This lasted less than a week before it burnt off.

This is powder coat that has been on for 2 years now and still pretty good.

user posted image

cool.gif Bob
Joe Ricard
Ok I don't get it. why would you make heat exchangers if you got hot water going through the car.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 1 2006, 06:03 AM)
Ok I don't get it. why would you make heat exchangers if you got hot water going through the car.

I have the stock flapper doors, the stock heat worked well with the 1.7, adding a water type heat exchanger is alot of work, the re-invented heating system may not work as well as the stock ducting, more clutter in the engine compartment, more of a change of adding a place for air to be trapped in the system, one less hose connection to worry about developing a leak, the list goes on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.