Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My rebuild photos...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
maf914
WRX914,

Your car is looking great! Good work! thumb3d.gif

Could you tell us the wheel specs? Diameter, width, offset or backspacing. I'm curious what backspacing is required to get a good fit with the flares. Thanks.
WRX914
The wheels were built specially for this car. Kenisis builds wheels to your specifications, I don't remember what the offsets are. Sorry, but the tires are:

Front - 215/45ZR17

Rear - 255/40ZR17

And here is the pic of the front.
WRX914
QUOTE(dekman @ Aug 10 2006, 09:54 PM) *

Very Nicely Done!!!!! Can I ask what type of steering wheel that is? See you at the GAF. aktion035.gif

Momo Race
Wide914
Nice looking car.. Where and what kind of billet hub is that for your steering wheel that thing is special looking......
JP
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 10 2006, 12:20 PM) *

I don't have a pic of the front end confused24.gif I will take one tomorrow. the radiator is a Renegade set up. It is intercooled as well. The transaxle is a custom box built by Brad at 914 Limited, it is a 904 mainshaft, 1st gated off, F 2nd and stock 3,4,5 ratios.

uh... so you have a 4 speed now?

sorry to burst your bubble tho... F is stock 2nd...

a 904 mainshaft is splined so you can put different ratios in 2nd gear, vs an F, GA, or H mainshaft where 2nd gear is PART of the shaft.......

sounds like you have a stock box with first blocked off....
WRX914
Why I otta!

Your right... I was in error, it is a "C" gear.

blink.gif
Root_Werks
Wow! Great looking 914! smilie_pokal.gif
WRX914
QUOTE(Wide914 @ Aug 12 2006, 10:56 AM) *

Nice looking car.. Where and what kind of billet hub is that for your steering wheel that thing is special looking......
JP

It is a renegade hub adaptor. It adapts Momo and Grant steering wheels to the 914 column. The one I have is the longer one, they also have one that is about 1/2 the distance as mine.
WRX914
Drove it last night, while I am still having tuning issues, it flat out hauls ass! I went to the gas station this morning, and everyone at the shell was staring after it started. IT IS LOUD! Not too loud, just enough to make you wonder what the hell is that thing? Burning rubber is not an issue...
TonyAKAVW
What are you using for your muffler?

-Tony
Crazyhippy
The "rotary" muffler.. it works as an intake silencer too biggrin.gif

I have an el cheapo "turbo" muffler off the turbo, and then a glasspack across the back of the car... It's perfect in the neighborhood, but a bit subdued on the freeway. I can barely hear it over the turbo scream.

BJH
WRX914
Muffler? You don't need a stinking muffler!

Seriously, I am only using about 4-6 inches of turbo twist. Turbo twist is essentially an auger type muffler system. It is about 2.5" in diameter, and you choose the length.
Crazyhippy
Looks damned good Keith!!!

Is it fast enough? Beat anyone up yet?

I got ahold of a young guy in a Boxster (dont know if it was an S... never got behind him, and he turned off the street as soon as he could)
I'm running 14-15psi now, and was down @ 12 when i beat him. Just 2-3 more, and i'll be good (and the turbo efficiency falls on it's face...)

BJH
TonyAKAVW
Well, I need a muffler. I don't have one of those exhaust powered air compressors... So I definitely need some kind of muffler. Actually two mufflers for dual exhaust.
Key is they need to be small.

Oh, last question. For your coolant guage, did you use the stock sender on the engine and go through the ECU or ??

-Tony
WRX914
screwy.gif slap.gif I finally got the answers as to why the Suby is running like total dog shit. I have a 2004 WRX engine with a 2001 ECU! headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

We have been looking high and low trying to figure why it does not run right. Well go figure!

blink.gif alfred.gif headbang.gif
WRX914
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Aug 14 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Well, I need a muffler. I don't have one of those exhaust powered air compressors... So I definitely need some kind of muffler. Actually two mufflers for dual exhaust.
Key is they need to be small.

Oh, last question. For your coolant guage, did you use the stock sender on the engine and go through the ECU or ??

-Tony

A turbo twist is a muffler. It has nothing to do with the "turbo" it is an auger type of muffler. The coolant guage reads off of the engine...

My mufflers are extremely small, ask my wife!

chairfall.gif
TonyAKAVW
I understand what an auger muffler is, for some reason I thought I read that you didn't need a muffler. I figured that the turbo was responsible for a good amount of muffling on its own...

Sounds like the correct ECU will solve your problems smile.gif

-Tony
Heeltoe914
What carpet kit is that you are using and the seats, how do you like them?

Great car and greart color. Boy you work fast, What no kid or honey do list for the last 5 mths?
WRX914
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Aug 15 2006, 02:54 PM) *

What carpet kit is that you are using and the seats, how do you like them?

Great car and greart color. Boy you work fast, What no kid or honey do list for the last 5 mths?

Got the carpet from Dave at GPR. I like it fine, the passenger footwell piece could stand to be a little longer, but generally speaking, no issues. I have been working on this project nearing 3 years. 1st collecting all of the parts, then getting it done. It may appear to be fast, but I assure you it has been a long laborous process. It is nice to finally see it come all together. I must say it is better than I expected. I just got married in May, so the to do lists are just beginning, and no kids as of yet.

Keith
WRX914
Getting very close to the end...

tdgray
Very Nice. beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif
Crazyhippy
too bad yellow is faster.... biggrin.gif

BJH
WRX914
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Aug 17 2006, 12:20 PM) *

too bad yellow is faster.... biggrin.gif

BJH

Damnit! I would have laid down a challange, but not with your ECU!!!

finger.gif w00t.gif
Crazyhippy
I'm working on injectors and turbo too... It'll be post RRC though

Then there's the weight difference. No big radio, no heater (till it gets cold, then....) no ac, no dynamat, no beer belly, no heavy flares, no fancy paint job, no money to weigh the car down...

Damn, i need to get my car on some scales.

BJH
RS22b
Wow!

Congrats on the results! thing looks amazing.

Hopefully once my car gets the GT flares i will have paint that good too.

_billy
WRX914
Brought the car to Crawford Performance on Saturday...

They are located in Oceanside. I brought my teener to them on Saturday morning they can put a STI engine in our teeners no problems. They are currently getting up to 700hp with a 2.5 liter STI engine. My car is there getting dyno tuned, they should be able to increase my HP by approx 40%. They are working with the stock ECU and are doing a licensed reflash. The great thing about this mod is if you ever have an ECU code, you give them a call and they email you the fix. Also, if there are new updates they are also provided free of charge. Crawford builds STI's that clean up modified Vipers and new GT40's. They also built the engines for DC Shoes Gumball 3000 ralley. If you call, ask for Quirt Crawford. He is simply awsome...

Oh shit this thing is gunna Haul!
WRX914
I will post the dyno results when I get the car...
RS22b
yes please do! that'l be awesome!

_billy
914-8
Your car is beautilicious!

Love the front end treatment. So clean with the neatly modified stock bumper, no sidemarkers and no hood badge.

What are you thinking the hp output is going to be?
WRX914
Thanks! It is nice to see something nice finally come together for me. I cant tell you how stressfull this has been, but it is finally coming to completion.

Crawford is saying something around 200 hp at the rear wheels. Should be interesting...
WRX914
They called yesterday, they offered to pick me up at Carlsbad airport and bring me to the shop in one of thier 700 hp Subys. I am probably gunna take them up on the offer. They told me to "Drive it back to Vegas, it will be bulletproof".

too cool...
914-8
Are you talking about Carlsbad, near San Diego, CA?

If you are driving it from Carlsbad to Las Vegas, let me know. You'd be passing within 2 miles of my house/work, if you have time, stop by and we can compare cars. I'd love to check yours out!
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 22 2006, 01:41 PM) *

Thanks! It is nice to see something nice finally come together for me. I cant tell you how stressfull this has been, but it is finally coming to completion.

Crawford is saying something around 200 hp at the rear wheels. Should be interesting...

I'd guess it'll be quite a bit higher than that... They are higher than that from the factory... Maybe 300??

BJH
TonyAKAVW
to get 300 HP at the rear wheels (assuming 75% efficiency, which may or may not be right) would be 400 crank HP. I think 75% is not tooo far off...

200 at the rear wheels would inply 267 HP...

-Tony
WRX914
You know, I would have thought the numbers would be quite a bit higher. However, these numbers are just an estimate. They do not put the EJ20t in the sand rails, and the only numbers they have are from a 4wd WRX. We are just guessing at the 200 mark. I figure it is better to say we think we will put down 200 and actually it be more than the other way around. Whatever the case, I will play with the 2.0 for a while until I get bored and slap a 300-400 to the ground HP STI in it. Crawford will be doing that as well...
VegasRacer
It looks ugly and slow. hide.gif
WRX914
Whatever the final hp numbers turn out to be at the rear wheels I do not know. Crawford expects a 40% gain at the crank. The numbers I came up with are:

Stock hp at the crank is 240.

40% of 240 is 96

240+96 = 336 anticipated crank hp

336 * .75 = 252 hp anticipated at the rear wheels.

That seems a little better doesn't it?

Oh yea... and John, FU!!!

lol
TravisNeff
I thought the drivetrain loss was around 15%, rather than 25%
WRX914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 23 2006, 11:01 AM) *

I simply do not know, I was going on what I read previously on this post. If it is 15%, even better!!!

boldblue.gif burnout.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 23 2006, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Aug 23 2006, 11:01 AM) *

I simply do not know, I was going on what I read previously on this post. If it is 15%, even better!!!
boldblue.gif burnout.gif

With the "small" manual trans the cars have, 15% is reasonable. If you had a lot of rotating mass to burn power, it would be different. Also, auto trans tends to be more like 20-25% because of the converter losses. There are alot of variables that cause the losses between crank and the actual wheel to ground contact patch, but I suspect these cars are pretty minimal as everything is very compact/direct.

The only "real" number by many a racer's opinion is the rear wheel number, so instead of bothering trying to calc it, just measure it once the car is running and base tuned. In fact, it might be wise to tune on the dyno anyway - just know that chassis dynos (any dyno for that matter) are very hard on the car/engine. It is an unrealistic load that smash.gif the stromberg.gif out of it. I have a pucker factor of 10 everytime I make pulls on a fresh motor on the dyno. Haven't had any come apart yet personally minus a flat cam on a BBC once, but I have seen them come apart before - pretty exciting. And I saw an upper intake split/blown completely off a 5.0 on the dyno once (guy went lean while juiced) - so I have this 15ft rule now when running them blink.gif

Scared yet laugh.gif
WRX914
Just called Crawford and the car is almost ready. Just a little adjustment on the speed sensor, then on the dyno for results. Looks pretty good to pick up tomorrow!

Thanks to the crew at Crawford Performance.

Aaron Cox
when are you picking it up???

its in SoCal Right?
TonyAKAVW
Awesome!!! Speed sensor is something I need to install very soon.

Can't wait to see a video of this thing in motion.

-Tony
WRX914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Aug 24 2006, 10:02 AM) *

when are you picking it up???

its in SoCal Right?

Yup,

Ocenaside/Vista

Wanna get together for lunch?
WRX914
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Aug 22 2006, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Aug 22 2006, 01:41 PM) *

I'd guess it'll be quite a bit higher than that... They are higher than that from the factory... Maybe 300??

BJH

Actually, BJ the stock WRX 2.0 only puts 140 hp to the ground...

Crazyhippy
IPB Image

With AWD drivetrain losses...

Did they take a baseline pull to see where you were b4 they started tuning?

BJH
WRX914
BJ, my turbo must be bad. I am only getting 12 lbs of boost. No matter what they do, only 12 lbs... What do you think? Turbo right?

I think I will go to ebay now...

out.
WRX914
boostplanet.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.