Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where's this wire go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deserttoad
Working on a 1975 1.8 with FI.

So I need to know where the wire that comes up through the tinwork with the throttle cable goes. It's hard to see, but I believe it is green. So I'm thinking it must be for the temp sensor? It is just a bare metal spade, and I don't know where to plug it in. Or does it perhaps go back to the dash to my oil temp gauge (hasn't ever worked)? There is no other obvious unplugged wire around.

And don't I see a temp sensor right on top of the motor as well - is that the one for the computer to use?

And speaking of electrical things - my tach only works at low revs all of a sudden, and my amp meter and fuel gauge have quit as well - what gives, is there a common ground?

thanks,

DT
Cap'n Krusty
That wire is for the temp sensor, which is located on the bottom of the engine. It plugs into a wire in the harness that goes to the battery + terminal. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 7 2006, 01:17 PM)
That wire is for the temp sensor, which is located on the bottom of the engine. It plugs into a wire in the harness that goes to the battery + terminal. The Cap'n

agree.gif green/black it is, goes from the temp sensor on the *underside* of the motor into the main harness under the battery tray. from there to your center console gauge ...

the sender is located at the "Taco Plate" ...
cool.gif Andy
deserttoad
Hot Damn, I'm learnin'!

So I guess the question is where does the end go? Do I have the end from the sensor or the gauge?

And is the temp sensor on top of the motor for the computer, and the one on the bottom for the gauge, since the gauge was optional?
thanks,

DT
SirAndy
QUOTE (deserttoad @ Feb 7 2006, 04:55 PM)
And is the temp sensor on top of the motor for the computer, and the one on the bottom for the gauge, since the gauge was optional?

huh? you lost me there ...

all later cars have the wiring for the center console gauges, even if the console was not installed ...

the wire goes from your console gauge through the main harness and exits the main harness under the battery tray.
MAIN HARNESS. not FI harnes. not engine harness.
it has one of those plastic connectors on it. wire is green with black stripes.

the temp sensor is on the UNDERSIDE of the engine. that's why the wire comes up through the engine tin. because the sensor is on the underside. plug into main harness is under the battery tray somewhere coming out of the main harness.

you put the two together.

now, i'd check under the car and make sure the wire is plugged in ther sensor and not ripped anywhere.
the sensor is threaded into what is called the "Taco Plate".
drivers side towards the front. round plate with hopefully a wire coming out of it.

also make sure your gauge is actually connected ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: try a search for "Taco Plate" ...

user posted image
deserttoad
Andy,

Thanks a bunch, great photo. I was just confused on whether this wire was headed down to the taco plate or up to the gauge, but you've solved that. Guess I need to remove the battery and look for the other end!

Now what about the temp sensor on top of the motor? Or is that an oil pressure sensor for the dummy light?

thank again!

DT
ClayPerrine
On the positive post connection you will find 4 red wires attached to some loop connectors. Follow them down and forward under the battery tray. You should find a connector with a plastic insulator sticking out of the harness close to the front corner. It should be a green wire. That is where the sensor wire attaches.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE (deserttoad @ Feb 8 2006, 06:55 AM)
Now what about the temp sensor on top of the motor? Or is that an oil pressure sensor for the dummy light?

The latter.

--DD
deserttoad
Thanks Dave,

Sometimes it takes awhile for things click, ya know?

DT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.