Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New clutch doesn't fit.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
Finally got the engine back together and I was putting the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate back on when... I tried to put the clutch disc into the flywheel and it's too big by about 2 mm. It's part number PCG-116-011-05 from pelican. The disc splines onto the tranny and clutch alignment tool fine, but too big for the flywheel.

Do I have a bus flywheel or something?
dmenche914
Got a measurement you can give us on the flywheel you have? i am assumming you have the right part but can't tell from a part number. Call Pelican in morning to check.

maybe supply measurement of the outer diameter of the shinny worn clutch contact area, use millimeters if you can? Is there a part number on the flywheel, maybe someone can pipe in if they have a flywheel number (i don't recall any number on them, but I never looked close either). Do you have the old clutch to compare to, what is it like?

PS what is the new discs actual diameter?
tat2dphreak
confused24.gif

I dunno, if you need me to measure a 914 flywheel, I have one on the 1.8 Core... not sure, but I think the bus flywheel wouldn't work at all... I think the Bus flywheel is smaller, and wouldn't hit the starter...

compare your old clutch to the new one? maybe PP sent the wrong part... should be a 4-spring 215mm diameter clutch, or a 6 spring...

btw, you have to love pelican's marketing:

There are two types of clutch discs available for the 914-4. The stock disc with four springs, and the early 911 disc with six. The 911 disc will give you a much better feel for only a few more dollars, and is a direct replacement for the 914 disc....

4-spring $68
6-spring $172

over a hundred bucks is now "a few dollars" rolleyes.gif glad I bought a 6 spring sachs clutch for $70 off ebay
LowGT
New clutch = 215.9mm

Old clutch = 209.55mm

Opening of flywheel = 215.9mm

Contact surface of flywheel = 211.1mm

I had to measure everything in inches and convert to mm, I don't have a caliper that large to measure stuff.

In one of Jake's posts, he said the 70-73 cars had a 210mm clutch and 74-75 had 215mm clutch discs. But pelican shows the part I ordered as being for 70-76 1.7/1.8/2.0. I can't even find a 210mm disc on their site.

confused24.gif
LowGT
From the best I can tell, the marking on the back of the flywheel are TL2 (possibly TL12) and 310.

EDIT:

New development that I overlooked before, my pilot bearing is in the crankshaft not the flywheel.
SirAndy
QUOTE (LowGT @ Feb 7 2006, 08:44 PM)
New development that I overlooked before, my pilot bearing is in the crankshaft not the flywheel.

oh oh, that spells trouble ...

ask me how i know ...
icon8.gif Andy
LowGT
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 7 2006, 11:31 PM)
ask me how i know ...
icon8.gif Andy

Ok, how do you know? w00t.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (LowGT @ Feb 7 2006, 09:50 PM)
Ok, how do you know? w00t.gif

first, read this ...
lot's of pictures of the oily mess and lots of speculation about the cause:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=16468

then, the conclusion:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=16742

headbang.gif Andy
LowGT
Interesting, I pulled my eng/trans because I was flinging tranny fluid out of the vent holes. It was nowhere near as bad as yours, but the entire tranny was covered.

The PO said the engine was rebuilt 5k ago (receipts show 1994), so hopefully my trans isn't damaged, but how can I tell if it is?
SirAndy
QUOTE (LowGT @ Feb 7 2006, 10:20 PM)
so hopefully my trans isn't damaged, but how can I tell if it is?

grab the input shaft and try to wiggle it. if it has excess play, your bearing seats are hosed, which means the case is junk ...

sad.gif Andy
Series9
Once upon a time, I had a 914 w/bus flywheel.

I didn't know this, and upon attempted replacement of the clutch, I had many difficulties. However, my problems were depth related, not diameter.
LowGT
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 8 2006, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (LowGT @ Feb 7 2006, 10:20 PM)
so hopefully my trans isn't damaged, but how can I tell if it is?

grab the input shaft and try to wiggle it. if it has excess play, your bearing seats are hosed, which means the case is junk ...

sad.gif Andy

What's considered excess? I can move the shaft about 0.5mm in any side direction. I can't move it in/out of the trans at all.
Tom Perso
You have a 210mm Bus flywheel on your engine. I'd swap everything out with 914 stuff since your 901 trans depends on the bushing/bearing being in the flywheel. Like Andy said, check the runout of your input shaft.

You may have caught it in time.

You might get lucky and swap the whole flywheel/PP combo with a fellow T4 owner who is looking to stick a 914 motor into a Bug or Bus. They'll need your 210mm flywheel and such since the 914 parts won't fit a T1 trans.

Good Luck,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.