Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust repair near front winshield pillar?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
This is my first request for info. I have lsearched in the forum, and have not seen exactly what I am looking for, although there is plenty of info on repairing rust on the 914's. I have to replace the metal in the area where the front fender meets the lower portion of the windshield post. Photo below. I saw where someone was maybe welding over the gap between the two, yet someone else mentioned that flexing may make this repair not too durable. Any suggestions on how to get into the gap to weld it, or other methods. I have other photos that I could share. I have appreciated seeing the work other members have done, as this has been helpful in deciding what and how to repair mine. Is it best to just start a topic like this, and keep adding to it?

This site is great. Thanks Joe
Eric_Shea
Joe... that is one of the worst, if not the worst sections of the car to repair properly. There are 4 layers of metal sandwiched together there.

See what you can find from a donor car and then apply Rust-Mort or something similar to what you can't get at. You may want to try sand blasting in the seam to do the initial clean up. Been there on a couple of tubs and it was cut, weld, mfg., weld, donor, weld... repeat.
Eric_Shea
BTDT
Eric_Shea
Welded...
Eric_Shea
welcome.png

I find it's best to start a topic (unless you want others to follow along on your restoration project). The single topic helps others as well... anyone that may have a similar problem can zero in on a specific thread.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.