Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Germans!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
I just had a pair of Germans come to look at the '67 912 I have for sale. They paid a lot of attention to the 6x15 Fuchs on the car, which weren't originally sold on the 912, only the 911. One of them noted:

"Ze vheels, zey are not legal for ze car..."

I thought this was just an English problem, so I agreed that they weren't original, and not originally equipped, and that I had a set of steel wheels for the car, too.

Later,

"You know, ve cahn't register ze car wiz zeez vheels..."

A light bulb went on..."Maybe not in Germany, but there's no problem here..."

Clearly, they were just visiting, and looking to buy a cheap 911 or 912 to take back to Germany. The TUV inspectors (how do I do the umlaut?) would reject the car because the car wasn't originally sold with 6x15 wheels, only 4.5x15 and 5.5x15. Yow!

No bling, bling in the Fatherland...

Anyway, they decided they weren't interested, and were really looking for a 911.

Fortunately, I think I sold the car earlier today to some other guy. We'll find out on Monday if he shows up with money.

McMark
I think he's gonna.
lapuwali
Hope so.

A different guy made an offer today, and he is ALSO intending to take it to Germany. He'll be taking the "legal" steel wheels I have so the TUV will let him register it.

Gustl
well, I'm Austrian not German, but I know most of the car licencing laws from my neighbours

be sure that there's no problem to get a 912 with 6x15 street legal in Germany
I suggest that these german guys just tried to lower the prize with this trick

in Austria it *is* a problem to get a historic car street legal with any stuff that wasn't originally available
but in Germany it's even street legal to get a teener on the road with 7 and 8x15 or 6x16 or even a -4 with 3.2 -6

wavey.gif Gustl
rhodyguy
how do they get away with those german look/cup car style superbeetles? tricked out t-3s. how the hell do the RUF cars get legal for the street. when i was stationed in germany i owned a tanus van for awhile. it was licenced, and considered road worthy when i bought it from a german national. i failed the inspection 3 times and i was headbang.gif . then i got the tip. a 1/2 gallon jug of jim beam on the floor in a bag and there was no problem.

k
Jeroen
weird story...
I'm not TüV expert, but AFAIK, TüV will allow them if the wheels fit inside the wheelwells and don't rub anywhere on the body
15 x 6 is not exaclty a "wild" wheel combo...
redshift
Just run fake Swisse plates, never raise an eyebrow.

M
lapuwali
QUOTE (Gustl @ Feb 11 2006, 10:57 PM)
well, I'm Austrian not German, but I know most of the car licencing laws from my neighbours

in Austria it *is* a problem to get a historic car street legal with any stuff that wasn't originally available
but in Germany it's even street legal to get a teener on the road with 7 and 8x15 or 6x16 or even a -4 with 3.2 -6

wavey.gif Gustl

Y'know, it's possible they were Austrian. They spoke German, so I assumed they were German. They never really said much about themselves, and mostly chatted back and forth with each other in German. Honestly, the guys were assholes, but I don't know if they were German assholes or Austrian assholes. biggrin.gif

They nitpicked everything. The first thing one guy said ws "why is there so much oil dripping off the engine?" There's no more oil on the engine than there is on most 40 year old cars that are driven daily, and it leaks perhaps a dime-sized (about 30mm) spot every few days. Indeed, the guy that's actually buying the car was impressed at how CLEAN the engine was.

Given Andy's description of the German licensing laws, it's hard to imagine the Austrians are even more strict...
GWN7
So three guys from Europe go car hunting in California. Two of them go look at a car and tell the owner that a bunch of things are wrong with it. The third guy comes along later and offers him some $$ He throws in some extras to make the deal right...................

I think I'd drive over to his hotel and have a beer with him and his buddys wink.gif biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 12 2006, 05:40 PM)
Given Andy's description of the German licensing laws, it's hard to imagine the Austrians are even more strict...

Austrian and German licensing laws concerning historic cars are like day and night
I'd say more than 50% of all street legal historic cars in Germany won't pass the Austrian laws

dvkk
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 11 2006, 05:25 PM)
....The TUV inspectors (how do I do the umlaut?) .....

Ü

Hold down the ALT key and type 154, then release.

bd1308
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 12 2006, 10:40 AM)
and it leaks perhaps a dime-sized (about 30mm) spot every few days.

ya'll have some HUGE dimes there...the only dimes THAT size *HERE* cost $40-60 smoke.gif

laugh.gif

b
lapuwali
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Feb 12 2006, 08:48 AM)
So three guys from Europe go car hunting in California. Two of them go look at a car and tell the owner that a bunch of things are wrong with it. The third guy comes along later and offers him some $$ He throws in some extras to make the deal right...................

I think I'd drive over to his hotel and have a beer with him and his buddys wink.gif biggrin.gif

Nice theory, but... The guy that's buying it came first, and is a total SoCal surfer dude type. He's taking it to Germany because his girlfriend is German, and it's for her birthday.

And the buyer is taking the steel wheels INSTEAD of the Fuchs on the car now, not in addition to.
mikey
Ü

So that's how you do the umlaut thingy!

TuV

Oh fuch, it didn't work.
McMark
ü

On Mac's it's option-u then press u.

ÜüÜü
GWN7
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 12 2006, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Feb 12 2006, 08:48 AM)

I think I'd drive over to his hotel and have a beer with him and his buddys   wink.gif   biggrin.gif

Nice theory, but... The guy that's buying it came first, and is a total SoCal surfer dude type. He's taking it to Germany because his girlfriend is German, and it's for her birthday.

And the buyer is taking the steel wheels INSTEAD of the Fuchs on the car now, not in addition to.

Dam, I thought I had a winner wink.gif smilie_pokal.gif

beerchug.gif
johannes
and ù ... burnout.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (mikey @ Feb 12 2006, 11:54 AM)
Ü

So that's how you do the umlaut thingy!
TuV
Oh fuch, it didn't work.

numbers *have* to be typed on the numeric keypad ...

Ü = ALT + 0220
ü = ALT + 0252
Ä = ALT + 0196
ä = ALT + 0228
Ö = ALT + 0214
ö = ALT + 0246
ß = ALT + 0223

wink.gif Andy
mikey
numbers *have* to be typed on the numeric keypad ...

Ü = ALT + 0220
ü = ALT + 0252
Ä = ALT + 0196
ä = ALT + 0228
Ö = ALT + 0214
ö = ALT + 0246
ß = ALT + 0223

Andy

Ü
ü
Ä
ä
Ö
ö
ß

Küüüühl! aktion035.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif

I wasn't using the number pad.

Thanks Sir Andy!!!
cbenitah
We got the three missing in the alphabet! abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzåäö
smilie_pokal.gif

Ä = ALT + 0196
ä = ALT + 0228
Ö = ALT + 0214
maf914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 12 2006, 06:57 PM)
*have* to be typed on the numeric keypad ...

Ü = ALT + 0220
ü = ALT + 0252
Ä = ALT + 0196
ä = ALT + 0228
Ö = ALT + 0214
ö = ALT + 0246
ß = ALT + 0223

wink.gif Andy

How do you know this stuff? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Jeroen
ü = first press shift + " then u (works the same with the others... e, A, o, what ever)

ß = ctrl + alt + s
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Feb 13 2006, 08:26 AM)
ü = first press shift + " then u (works the same with the others... e, A, o, what ever)

ß = ctrl + alt + s

not on an american keyboard ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (maf914 @ Feb 13 2006, 07:46 AM)

Ü = ALT + 0220
ü = ALT + 0252
Ä = ALT + 0196
ä = ALT + 0228
Ö = ALT + 0214
ö = ALT + 0246
ß = ALT + 0223

"Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools" and open "Character Map".

when you click on a special character, it'll show you the keystroke combination in the lower right corner ...

cool_shades.gif Andy
Gustl
hmmmm ... I don't see the problem ... if I wanna type an Ü I just hit the Ü-key on my keyboard idea.gif

av-943.gif Gustl
maf914
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 13 2006, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (maf914 @ Feb 13 2006, 07:46 AM)

Ü = ALT + 0220
ü = ALT + 0252
Ä = ALT + 0196
ä = ALT + 0228
Ö = ALT + 0214
ö = ALT + 0246
ß = ALT + 0223

"Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools" and open "Character Map".

when you click on a special character, it'll show you the keystroke combination in the lower right corner ...

cool_shades.gif Andy

Thanks, Andy.

There are are so many features in computers that I am not even aware of. It's all rather humbling.... huh.gif
DEC
QUOTE (Gustl @ Feb 13 2006, 09:19 AM)
hmmmm ... I don't see the problem ... if I wanna type an Ü I just hit the Ü-key on my keyboard  :idea:  

av-943.gif  Gustl

Gustl dead horse.gif
you have an european keyboard (wertz) mueba.gif
so do you have no problem to type an Ü clap56.gif
The other guys have an american keyboard (werty)
without Ü, Ä,Ö. unsure.gif
Remember that we are Europeans in an American forum poke.gif

Wilco aktion035.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (DEC @ Feb 13 2006, 01:29 PM)
Remember that we are Europeans in an American forum poke.gif

well, even thought there a still a few people in the mid-west that think this is a california car club,
we have actually always thought of this as a "international" 914 club (well, not really a club, but ...)

hail to the: "Internätiönäl 914 Nön-Clüb" pray.gif

beerchug.gif Andy
Gustl
Wilco, are you aware of the smily I used under my comment dry.gif

av-943.gif => this one should express that I was joking cool_shades.gif

user posted image Gustl
Jeroen
I don't have a european keybord, but it is on "dutch" settings
(I don't have ü, ë, ä, ö keys either)
wink.gif
johannes
hmmmm ... I don't see the problem ... if I wanna type an Ü I just hit the Ü-key on my keyboard  :idea:

Mine is a bit different. I have to type two keys for the "Umlaut" but I have the ù key

Notice the fonction keys customized for RACING ! driving.gif on Live for speed ... biggrin.gif

The most difficult was to put the keyboard in the scanner ... Next time I put my 21" CRT on the scanner to make some screen captures av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Gustl @ Feb 11 2006, 10:57 PM)

agree.gif

i have dealt with the german TÜV on similar matters numerous times,
here's how it works:

- in germany your car comes with a "Fahrzeugbrief", kind of like a pink slip here in the US just much more detailed.

- anything that is *not* mentioned in the Fahrzeugbrief is illegal for your car unless you get it added to the Fahrzeugbrief by the TÜV.

- for wheels/tires, you usually have a range of different sizes listed in your Fahrzeugbrief that are legal for your car from the factory.

- if you want to put something on your car that is not listed in your Fahrzeugbrief, you have to get a "Einzelabnahme" with the TÜV and a "Materialgutachten" from the manufacturer for whatever part you want to put on your car.

- Einzelabnahme = your very own personal inspection by the TÜV for your car and the part(s) in question. if successful, they will add your new stuff to your Fahrzeugbrief, thus making it legal for your car.

- Materialgutachten = a document that verifies that all materials used for that part comply with TÜV rules and have been approved by the TÜV.
the manufacturer has to supply this, and the process of getting a Materialgutachten for your products is usually very tedious and expensive.

in case of the 6" wheels, you're in luck as you won't need a Materialgutachten as the wheels are original porsche and as long as they fit under the original fenders, the TÜV guy will simply add those to your Fahrzeugbrief and you drive off into the sunset with a set of absolutely streetlegal new wheels ...

when i added the 8" and 9" wheels to my superbeetle, i didn't have to have a Materialgutachten for the wheels as they were brand name steel wheels, but i did have to have a Materialgutachten for my fiberglass fenders + flares (and spoilers).
with that Materialgutachten in hand, i drove up to the TÜV, the guy went and measured the new width of the car and added that, together with the wheel and tire widths etc. to my Fahrzeugbrief and i was good to go.

not that hard, really ...
smile.gif Andy

SirAndy
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 19 2006, 01:49 PM)
when i added the 8" and 9" wheels to my superbeetle, i didn't have to have a Materialgutachten for the wheels as they were brand name steel wheels, but i did have to have a Materialgutachten for my fiberglass fenders + flares (and spoilers).

should have added the pic ... rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.