Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The PORSCHE WAVE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Elliot_Cannon
Pacific Coast Highway, Newport Beach. Big black Caddy SUV. "Hey what year is that?" "73". "Looks great!" Made my day.

Cheers, Elliot
malaga_red75
I get the wave often, like most said from the older 911's and i even got a couple of waves from the suburu guys

also, i dont know if this counts as a wave, but i was at a burger joint, and when i walked back to my car there was a note under the windshield that read

"Nice car, call me...###-#### -Madylen"
SGB
I've been clearly aware of an increase in recognition for the 914. I've beeen going to a buncha PCA events and those guys all seem to have had/ still have/ wish they had a 914. It is getting pretty rare to see a good one and althoughsome folks don't recognize 'em, seems almost all Pcar owners around here like mine at least.

LOOOK MOMMY POST 911!!!!
Michael N
The past two days I've driven my 914. First day I got the peace sign from a 944 turbo. Today I got a thumbs up from a Suby WRX STI and a guy drove his BMW Z4 accross a large parking lot at my work to say nice car while I was leaving for the day. It makes me smile piratenanner.gif !!!
Joe Bob
Was driving the orange 914 this morning....last chance as it gets picked up for the move to SF tonight. Gotta a wave from a MILF in a ragtop SC....
zymurgist
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jun 3 2006, 09:20 PM) *

i dont know if this counts as a wave, but i was at a burger joint, and when i walked back to my car there was a note under the windshield that read

"Nice car, call me...###-#### -Madylen"

I know somebody who did this when she spotted a 924 "back in the day." I think her taste in cars has improved somewhat since she has a 914 now. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 2 2006, 02:46 PM) *

I get waves about 90% of the time from everybody except boxster ( non -S ) owners. The S owners are about 50/50. Hot rods and Ghia's are at 100% and some may chase you down to chat. I passed a boxster and a 911 last time I was out driving. the boxter guy glared and the 911 found the long skinny one to hang with me ( and eventually leave my 90Hp ass on a long straight). boxster guy needs to either find the skinny pedal or smile and wave.

Speaking as a Boxster and 914 owner, I wave all the time. I think maybe you guys just have Boxster-envy... LOL

Rob
Toast
No, I do not get "the wave". I get the stare sometimes though.

Some young kids on bicycles said "look at that little car" the other day. dry.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 5 2006, 09:31 PM) *

No, I do not get "the wave". I get the stared sometimes though.

Some young kids on bicycles said "look at that little car" the other day. dry.gif

Toast, your vote shouldn't count! You are better looking than the rest of us so regardless of your car the guys are gonna wave at you! biggrin.gif
70Sixter
QUOTE(Michael N @ Jun 3 2006, 08:24 PM) *

The past two days I've driven my 914. First day I got the peace sign from a 944 turbo. piratenanner.gif !!!

Back in the day the V-sign meant "Wanna race?" As from a stop light.

I agree with those that think too many people don't know traditions. Back in 50s & 60s it was a sports car thing. Now I don't get flashed, saluted or waved in either P-Car. Well, there was that 356C a coupla years ago....
balljoint
I had a Boxteress pull up beside me on the highway last night, coming home from work, top off. Older dood, gave me the nod and smile and then shot ahead (I was doing 75 in the right lane). Then on the way in this morning I had a 944 turbo pull up beside me and give me the wave. Those were my first "Porsche Waves". I gotta say it felt pretty good. In between I was stopped at a light next to a guy in a Carrera, he was talking to his female passenger and didn't even notice as I rolled up next to him.
zymurgist
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 8 2006, 04:34 PM) *

I had a Boxteress pull up beside me on the highway last night, coming home from work, top off.

Worthless without pics... happy11.gif
TROJANMAN
got a random wave from 928 today smile.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
I think from now on I'll only wave at 914's...and I'll start on, hummmm, I think I'll start on July 7th. I think that would be a good day to start wink.gif
VaccaRabite
Need a poll option for:
My car is too jack standed to get waves.

Zach
Air_Cooled_Nut
Forgot to mention that last week a new, silver 911 gave me a headlight flash as we crossed paths while I was driving my 914. Since my fogs keep burning out (but fuse still intact?) I flashed him the peace sign.

Damn...guess I'm gonna have to be nice to some of 'em! biggrin.gif
Rand
I noticed a super nice red taildragger in Bothell a few days ago. Then he flashes his fogs, then waves big as we pass. I flipped him off. Just kidding, waved back with a smile and nod. Very cool! I'm used to them ignoring the 914.
rmital
...took a long ride with wife this past weekend...about 2 hours all around my county. No 914's out there with me (not surprised), but got plenty of waves and beeps from all other Porsches.

One 928 slowed and with shock on his face gave me a "WOW" and a wave....my wife was really getting a kick outta all the fuss...
mudfoot76
I think I have about a 25% wave-back in my area. Many new(er) Boxters around, and those people, for the most part, have the awareness of the stereotypical SUV-driving soccer mom. Other P-cars are usually better. I've even gotten waves from Vipers on occasion, and then the hot-rodders too.

Not too many teeners running in this area....
Rrrockhound
What are the "rules"on waves, anyhow? I can wave at old aircooled Porsches and count on a wave back. But aircooled VWs--only maybe. And anything like a 944 or Boxster--forget it. I wave at old MGBs and such because I like all old sports cars--no dice. I don't even bother anymore with old Mustangs and muscle cars--they're in their own world. Then there's the random waves I get from Blazers, Harley riders, and dudes on bicycles, even. Are they waving because they "get it" or because they just notice something unusual?

Guys definitely notice my teener more than chicks. Not to stereotype, but female drivers seem to be off in another world.

Some people actually give me dirty looks. I figure they're just jealous.

The most special thing, tho, is when I drive past some little kid about 8 years old, and even tho he's too young to know my car, I can just tell from his reaction that he sees my 914 and knows there's something special about it.
TINCAN914
Got my first offical wave yesterday piratenanner.gif heading up to the mountains... Prior to that I have been snubbed... dry.gif ......The boy (my son) said whos that? I don't know I replied just a guy out for a nice drive..
shoguneagle
I have found that I get about 50% waves, whether I am driving the Jeep, the Vette, the Pickup, or the 914. I try to make it a habit to wave at vehicles that I know the driver is enjoying. Example: going north on Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay (California) topped the hill crest and here was coming toward me ten Austin Healeys'; gave them a "HIGH fIVE" and all of the drivers returned it with huge smiles; they feel good and makes me feel good. The rest of the 50% - they will never realize what they have missed!!!!

Steve Hurt
Rand
On my lunch break today...

While parked by the lake, saw a *pristine* '72 Datsun 240z and had a nice long enjoyable chat with the owner about cars. He has quite the stable.

Driving back to work, noticed a nice Acura NSX in my rearview. I pull into a left turn lane and look over my right shoulder to admire, and as I was raising a thumbs up, he was already waving at me.

When people recognize each other as car enthusiasts by glancing at the car, and have an immediate appreciation regardless of the model, THAT's cool.
Toast
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jun 29 2006, 11:00 PM) *

I think from now on I'll only wave at 914's...and I'll start on, hummmm, I think I'll start on July 7th. I think that would be a good day to start wink.gif

idea.gif Sounds like a 'convienent' day to start. rolleyes.gif
lol2.gif
startsw/p
Used to be only waved at in the Vanagon by other Vanagons. Then Peace sign from teenagers, -- If they're cute I give it back with my tongue in between LOL--
While driving my old Mars Red 80 GTI 16V, other VW guys would break their necks to look, lots of thumbs up.
Driving mom's 87 928 S4, lots of cranked heads, no waves.
Driving dad's 01 BOX-S -- top down, verbal "nice car" from any youngun you pass on a friday night.
BUT P cars? Most of the new ones are first timers. Leasers. No wave. Unless it's some older dude that's been raped by Porsche before, those guys will lift a finger off the wheel to acknowledge the teener. Somehow there is some bond between us victims of lost wages. Yeah it's expensive, don't touch it. No you can't go for a drive. Best waves though were in my 72 1.7, most guys were waving good-bye, it was so slow, but there were two young blondes that pulled up next to me at a light and asked " Excuse me, what kind of car is that?" Obviously they couldn't read the script anywhere on the car, and after I replied " It's a Porsche!", She said " No It's not." --- Probably why I hooked up with a redhead. Cheers.
Dr. Roger
yesterday and last night i got a wave from a suzuki 1000, another 914 (who now may join this club), a chevy truck and a buick somethingorother. i had to race the suzuki and won... whoops, did i say that?
JPB
I'll never forget pulling into town from picking up the 914 when I saw a young boy looking with eyes and mouth wide open as his mom sped along. I also made a WV bug roadster for my friend and the attention he gets is almost overwhelming. It will be the same here for 914s in Tappahannock since its a rural type community and Mustang/SUV contaminated.

beer.gif In hot weather, always keep cold beverages handy.
sww914
Most WRX owners wave to one another.
Andyrew
^^^ Seen that..

Got the wave by a yellow new boxster... Old guy.

I waved back, and stepped on it in 4th... Then he really gave me the wave! lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.