Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The PORSCHE WAVE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TROJANMAN
So i was driving to work this morning in the topless 914 (BTW, it snowed 2 days ago) and in front of me on the freeway was a brand new Carrera 4 Cabriolet. He pulled into the lane in front of me, looked in his rear view mirror and gave me the wave. I thought it was pretty cool, since he regcognized the 914 from his rear view mirrior. biggrin.gif

I have been receiving the wave more recently it seems. and it's kind of nice to know that are ugly stepchild of a car is being recognized by other porsche owners.
alpha434
Ugly stepchild?!?!?! Blasphemy! ohmy.gif

I think everyone's been giving the wave since the lakewood drivers ed incident. At least that's when people started giving me the wave. They even honk a few times when I pass 'em.
alpha434
And how often is often. Twice a week? That could be often for some things but not often enough for others. biggrin.gif

I'm going to put often anyway, and see if anyone calls me on it. cool.gif
porschecb
Back in the day it was a headlight thing. cool_shades.gif
alpha434
No. The headlight wink is for other cars that can wink. Except honda del sols. Fiats and what not. I've never winked at a fiero. They're outcasts too.
pfierb
EJM said after I mentioned to him that some guy in a 911 waved to me,while I was driving the 914...."naw he was just showing you his Rolex"

Deflated
Howard
Never on the 'street' unless it's a 914 or other early car. Always in the canyons, and pretty much all sports cars/bikes there including a thumbs up or down for road/police problems ahead.
johannes
EJM said after I mentioned to him that some guy in a 911 waved to me,while I was driving the 914...."naw he was just showing you his Rolex"

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
eeyore
I rarely wave at people all that much from my car. The jackstands kinda ruin the cool factor.

Howard
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Feb 12 2006, 03:01 PM)
I really wave at people all that much from my car. The jackstands kinda ruin the cool factor.

smilie_pokal.gif We have a winner!
tat2dphreak
VW guys recognize more often
blitZ
QUOTE (alpha434 @ Feb 12 2006, 02:28 PM)
No. The headlight wink is for other cars that can wink. Except honda del sols. Fiats and what not. I've never winked at a fiero. They're outcasts too.

Back in the 70s my brother had a 914. When you saw another Porsche, which was rare, you would flash your headlights.
porschecb
agree.gif
scottb
dc area lots of VERY pricey newer P cars and nobody pays much attention to anyone/thing other than themselves except.....

for older porsches. anything prior to 1980 i get a wave nearly 100% of the time......

SirAndy
*rarely*, i voted ...

mostly from older 911s or 912s ...

seems like anybody who drives a post '90 porsche has never seen a 914 before.
they probably think i'm driving a fiat ...

rolleyes.gif Andy

TROJANMAN
i get more waves from people driving '90 and newer porsches. usually boxsters. wavey.gif
Brando
finger.gif is the only wave I get from other porsche owners after I've passed them biggrin.gif. Except the local 914 guys. But they usually ring me up and call me ugly instead of waving tongue.gif
Seagrave
Yeah, if you count more than 50% as often. I find that the newer cars, driven by the open shirt and gold chain set are the ones that don't wave often. The other 914 drivers practically drive into your lane, waving with both hands and blowing the horn. boldblue.gif
Andyrew
I get waves from chicks and hot rod guys more than Porsche owners...

This is driving any of the three P-cars....

dry.gif

I vote never.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Hay i thought this flipa.gif ment they thought we were #1. I am disillusioned!!!! Dave slap.gif
Crazyhippy
I got a thumbs up from a CayenneS...

Then he got on the gas and left... bastard dry.gif

Dont get the wave from most newer P-cars, maybe 50% of the pre 80's stuff though

BJH
carreraguy
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 12 2006, 07:01 PM)
i get more waves from people driving '90 and newer porsches. usually boxsters. wavey.gif

Yep, those Boxter drivers real crave the attention! biggrin.gif wavey.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (carreraguy @ Feb 13 2006, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Feb 12 2006, 07:01 PM)
i get more waves from people driving '90 and newer porsches.  usually boxsters. wavey.gif

Yep, those Boxter drivers real crave the attention! biggrin.gif wavey.gif

hey, you're not allowed to chime in here until you get another 914. happy11.gif
johannes
I didn't cross a 914 for the past 20 years ...
The car is so rare in France. When I pass someone he looks at the car with eyes wide opened ... could be a Fiat av-943.gif
Finaly he understands when he see this in front of him biggrin.gif
Brian Mifsud
Silly CONE Valley is Full of Porsches..... but most these days are the liquid cooled and driven by the nuvo_equity_line_of_credit_"riche"....

very rare to see the wave. very common to see them driven like the former ricers they are (i.e. wicked lane changes in tight traffic, cutting people off, basically no class)

airsix
Where I live it is several hundred miles to the nearest dealer. That means anyone around here with a Porsche had to go out of their way to get one, so most are enthusiasts. We give each other the headlight flash or a wave. 912s, 911s, 914s, and all the waterpumpers (yes 924s too). We even extend this to Ghias and well cared for beetles too. They are usually surprised and you get a big smile from them.

The exception to this is the local Boxster owners who seem clueless. A few are enthusiasts, but most seem to be "look at me" people. rolleyes.gif

I marked "often" meaning that if I see another Porsche there is a good chance I'll get the flash or wave. However, I often go weeks without seeing another Porsche.

-Ben M.
type47
QUOTE (blitZ @ Feb 12 2006, 03:54 PM)
When you saw another Porsche, which was rare, you would flash your headlights.

... and then there was the mod that allowed the 914 to flash its fog lights from the stalk without the headlights being turned on...
johannes
Now I have a bit more experience ... I crossed a few Porsche in the past weeks.

So the french experience is:

Got wave or flash from almost all 911 owners ... cool clap56.gif
Never got any flash or wave from Boxters ... KMA.gif

olav
I get the wave from pedestrians. I also got a wave from an enthusiastic 356 owner.

Otherwise, I rarely get a wave. But I'm not on the road a heck of a lot.
Hammy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 12 2006, 04:17 PM) *

VW guys recognize more often

agree.gif VW crowd is friendly most of the time.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(johannes @ Jun 2 2006, 03:08 AM) *

Now I have a bit more experience ... I crossed a few Porsche in the past weeks.

So the french experience is:

Got wave or flash from almost all 911 owners ... cool clap56.gif
Never got any flash or wave from Boxters ... KMA.gif

Be careful how you do that....they may surrender to you...

I flash on every occasion I can, but in LA with all the Porsches ....it get's tiresome getting out, pulling down my pants, turning around, pressing my butt cheeks against the passenger window, getting my pants back up, getting back in the car and running from the Police....
MoveQik
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 12 2006, 07:34 PM) *

*rarely*, i voted ...

mostly from older 911s or 912s ...

seems like anybody who drives a post '90 porsche has never seen a 914 before.
they probably think i'm driving a fiat ...

rolleyes.gif Andy

Ditto here.

I am of the opinion that the majority, not all, but the majority of new Porsche owners don't know squat about Porsche's heritage. And they certainly would never guess that the 914 has a pretty solid place in that history.

Most of the newer 911 guys around here are usually too busy sipping their Starbucks & talking on the cell phone to wave to me. They are real performance drivers ya' know.
drewvw

I am a big proponent of the wave. I drive a jeep everyday and thats the original wave mobile.

In our Honda Element, we even get the wave sometimes.

In the 914...I get and give waves from most old cars and 50/50 on other porsches.

I try not to be shy about spreading the love! beerchug.gif
mike_the_man
I passed a 996 twin turbo the other day. He glanced over, then looked away. Pretty sure he didn't have any idea what kind of car I was driving. For some strange reason I wanted to give him the finger, but I just grinned and gunned the engine as I passed him.

P cars are few and far between around here, and I'm not sure if any of them have ever waved at me.
Gint
I voted way back when, but since aquiring the zambeziteen, I thought I'd add this.

I almost never get it from P-car drivers unless they're older Porsches (as others have stated).

But every time I pass a ghia I get and give a wave. Buses 50%, bugs rarely, but ghias? Every time.
jtf914
Almost never get a wave, but I got one from a Cayman S the other day after he chased me down on the highway......
drewvw
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 2 2006, 07:35 AM) *

But every time I pass a ghia I get and give a wave. Buses 50%, bugs rarely, but ghias? Every time.

Having driven a Ghia for the past 15 years, I believe I can weigh in on this:

Ghias (esp the ragtops) want to be old porsches....so we wave!

its like that classic article from Car and Driver in the early 70's:

"The Last Speedster (you got to be kidding), the Karmann Ghia?"
RickS
I have to agree with the comments about the new car owners either being too self-absorbed, busy on their cell phones, or absolutely clueless that 914s ever existed.

I get the wave from older 911s and if and when I see a 914.

I gave up waving at newer Porsches, since they would not return it. They probably think I am a stalker or sleeping with their wife or.....
TROJANMAN
I've realized that i no longer get the wave now that my car is on jackstands chairfall.gif

actually, i posted a get together over on pelican last week, in the 911 forum. it was really interesting to see how many reponses i received from people who wanted to show up, but couldn't. 911 guys aren't that bad, evn though they drive "girl" cars. (the 911 in the movie "cars" is a girl smile.gif )

It was also kind of nice to see 914's receive an open invitaion to the Porsche Big Bear Run in California. I wonder if we will have more 914's show up, than 911's. idea.gif
STL914
I've only had someone wave to me a few times here, possibly due to people not knowing what I drive. T

he best wave was from a good looking brunette in her Mercedies. I had my son with me at the time, he was 14, and he thought that was the coolest thing ever. Kind of wish he wasn't along for the ride w00t.gif
turboman808
I live in NY. You wave we open fire. biggrin.gif

Naw we are kinda lame and all got sticks up our butts. I do get the ricer glare alot. I do get waves and talk alot to truckers when in traffic but I am odd like that.
zymurgist
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 2 2006, 09:56 AM) *

I am of the opinion that the majority, not all, but the majority of new Porsche owners don't know squat about Porsche's heritage. And they certainly would never guess that the 914 has a pretty solid place in that history.

Most of the newer 911 guys around here are usually too busy sipping their Starbucks & talking on the cell phone to wave to me. They are real performance drivers ya' know.

It's so funny seeing this topic pop up on this board. Back when I used to hang out on corvetteforum.com (mostly when I was rebuilding the '77), every so often there would be a thread where the Corvette guys complain about not getting the wave from C5 (now C6) drivers, yet all the old timers (people who have cars older than theirs) all wave at each other... it got so bad, they started a campaign to "Save the Wave."

Nowadays, I wave at most Porsches and all Corvettes when I'm driving Babydoll, my 911, or the Orange Shark... maybe 50% return the gesture. On the other hand, I always give a thumbs up to street rods and antiques... and those guys almost always reciprocate. I think it's because most of those guys built their rides; they know what it's like to bust their knuckles, and they know how good it feels when they don't have to get greasy any more and can just drive their babies around.
jtf914
Already been done.... Save the Flash smile.gif

http://www.pca.org/mst/flash.htm
Steve Thacker
I get waved at by all the classic rodders. They know it doesn't sound like a ricer.
The last time I took the car out, a deputy Sherriff pulled me over just to see the car. Sombitch skeert the shit out of me with the "Please pull over to the right". My car sets so low I can only see the bumpers of cars in the rear view. His was no exception. I thought someone was pulling a gag on me..... biggrin.gif
effutuo101
I get waves about 90% of the time from everybody except boxster ( non -S ) owners. The S owners are about 50/50. Hot rods and Ghia's are at 100% and some may chase you down to chat. I passed a boxster and a 911 last time I was out driving. the boxter guy glared and the 911 found the long skinny one to hang with me ( and eventually leave my 90Hp ass on a long straight). boxster guy needs to either find the skinny pedal or smile and wave.
rcrgrl
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 2 2006, 10:29 AM) *

On the other hand, I always give a thumbs up to street rods and antiques... and those guys almost always reciprocate. I think it's because most of those guys built their rides; they know what it's like to bust their knuckles, and they know how good it feels when they don't have to get greasy any more and can just drive their babies around.

agree.gif
eg914
Doesn't seem like I see very many other Porsches during my commute. One Boxster I see waves most every time we pass. Most other waves are from older Porsches, but are far between. Generally Boxsters and other new P-car drivers don't seem to know what I am.
nbscooters
I waved a guy in a boxster next to me at the light a few days ago and he acted like his shit didn't stink.
MoveQik
No sooner do I complain about the new Porsche guys than does a guy in a 993 make it a point to get next to me in traffic today just so he could give me a thumbs up. Very cool.
1970 Neun vierzehn
914 recognition by other Porsches.....the newer,..the fewer! In their defense, however, they probably didn't see me as they were too busy dialing up and looking cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.